1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lets talk tuning...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Zac of all trades, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Jun 14, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Don't go 3 way until you are already at a 2 way active point.
    IF you run 3 way, from my testing back in the day your Apillar is the best for tweeter and 3 inch imaging. 4 inch is a little to big to fit nice.

A well setup active 2 way will stomp on any passive 3 way

2. Jun 14, 2016 at 12:24 PM
    LunaticConcepts

LunaticConcepts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TSS
    TC LT, Kings, OME, Billies, ARB, stuff
    Tweeter is already in the a-pillar, Im thinking about running the 3" in the door as well.

I'm already active 2 way, just with my 6.5 in the bottom I'm trying to get some more mid range up a little higher, to my ears the mids and highs are too far apart.

3. Jun 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Hows your time alignment. Generally, if setup right there shouldn't be that large of a discrepancy. Try the door as well as already suggested

4. Jun 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM
    LunaticConcepts

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TSS
    Time-alignment is decent, I'm no expert at tuning my Audison though. I may just pick up a set of 3" and test them out on the doors and see at some point. I know my tweeter locations arent the greatest which I plan on redoing in the very near future. 3d printed up some basic tweeter pods to mold in.

5. Jun 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is by the far the best method I've come across for setting time alignment. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...gnment-using-only-noise-tracks-your-ears.html

I also use stereo pink noise tracks to set L/R level and 1/3 octave mono pink noise tracks to set L/R EQ. Once I have L/R levels, time alignment and EQ set, I'll then run a full sweep of 1/3 octave mono pink noise tracks to adjust overall EQ. I've never run an RTA to see what the result looks like on paper, but to my ears it sounds really good. Very good center image, stage width, and depth. Overall tonality is very good, too.

The one area where I think more sophisticated tools could help is setting EQ and time alignment on my subwoofer. Low frequencies are hard to pinpoint and the long wavelength makes detecting the doppler effect a little more difficult. I know an RTA can help in this regard because I could then see and measure the audio response.

6. Jun 14, 2016 at 5:51 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Pics of those setups? I would be interested in doing something like that. I feel that our imaging is the suck to begin with based upon our speaker placement.

7. Jun 14, 2016 at 7:29 PM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Seems to me this whole time alignment thing gets a little complex unnecessarily. There are 2 things that matter, right? The speed at which sound travels and the distance. We know or can calculate the speed at a given barometric pressure. So if we know how far away something is, we know how long it will take for a sound wave to reach that object. Pull out the tape measure & stick it to your nose with your head back. Repeat for each driver location. Processor corrects the times based on distance. Fine tune from there. Most DSPs give you this option, yes?

Or have I completely lost my mind? I don't have too much experience with TA in a vehicle, but I've used it in my home gear for a good decade & set it up in a variety of locations...always pretty straight forward.

8. Jun 14, 2016 at 8:43 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Generally yes, but most people still don't get it right.... and also i found lots of people have phase issues and it causes a disconnect between their mids and highs with an odd response and messed up image.

9. Jun 15, 2016 at 3:25 AM
    ike3000

Member:
    Tape measure can give you a good baseline but in my experience it's not the best method. There are so many reflections in a car causing phase issues that sometimes you need to band aid it with time alignment.

Proper time alignment at higher frequencies doesn't make a huge improvement. I'm talking like 4khz and above. You will do just fine setting the tweets to the same amount of delay as its associated mid.

10. Jun 15, 2016 at 2:21 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I'll ask the owners if they do. I don't take pic's when I'm installing.

11. Jun 15, 2016 at 5:11 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    adjusting eq goes hand in hand with time alignment. once the drivers are level matched, and time aligned, eqing is last part of tuning a system.

before I get ahead of myself, let's start with the basics. going active(or time aligning your drivers) will benefit if it is planned out properly. driver selection is important, since you want your drivers to to bleed over the crossover range so you have options when selecting your crossover point(i.e. my fountek 89ex drivers start to roll off at 100hz, while my b&c 8ndl51 freq range is 65 - 3khz, so I effectively can select a crossover point safely from let's say 80hz to 2500hz).

you can obviously choose a head unit with t/a abilities(a la pioneer 80prs), or get a stand alone dsp unit that plugs inline with your existing head unit, to your amps. variable crossover points vary with your components selection. I am using the crossovers on the amps for the 500 high/low pass for the transition of midbass to full range, and the sub low pass from the deck.

so back to eqing your drivers. I'll use my set up as an example. I opted to use the stock locations, so my time aligning is set up via the pioneer 80prs to that. once I got those parameters set up, I started eqing. since the stock driver location of the "tweeter" is facing the driver at a steep angle, I had to boost some frequencies. with the passenger side "tweeter" facing the driver, I had to cut some frequency levels. most drivers frequency response tend to fall off as soon as you start going off axis of the driver(going away from facing the driver/speaker directly). with this method, I was able to "center" the image above the dash. I imagine that with other locations for the tweeter, there would be more flexibility, and not so much extreme eqing, as needed for the stock locations.

with all of this said, the optimal position of all of the speakers should face the listener dead on. being in a vehicle environment, it isn't always viable. in my case, I opted to bring the range down to 500hz high pass on my fountek 3.5" drivers so as to keep most of the directional frequencies within a line of sight of the listener's ears. anything below that, or lower, will be more omnipresent, and not necessarily need to be within line of sight.

hope I broke it down enough to understand.

Aw9d likes this.
  12. Jun 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Who can blame you. I don't take pics of shit when I am installing things in general. That's why I rarely do how-to's because I am usually dirty and I don't like getting my phone all trashed up while I'm working. Or I am in a race against the clock. Usually, it's both. :D

13. Jun 15, 2016 at 6:37 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    i hear yah on that

14. Jun 16, 2016 at 6:52 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    I want to - I heard 2 15's a few weeks ago and I'm kicking myself in the head for not having them

15. Jun 16, 2016 at 8:48 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    lol, i think if you learnt from the last box you built you know where you can increase the size and get a bigger flared port in there you will gain allot more output.

Sidenote, need the 15s still: let me know i got a few available ready to go

16. Jun 16, 2016 at 2:23 PM
    LunaticConcepts

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TSS
  17. Jun 17, 2016 at 1:23 PM
    Zac of all trades

Zac of all trades [OP] FWP Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    886/5100s/AAL/UCAs/360 armor/RTT/295 17s
    Ok so more tuning has been done. The gains for the highs have been dropped alot, the crossovers & slopes are set where they need to be, but still needs some more love. I will get a new video up with the same some to compare the difference to.

Here is a pic of what my settings are at now...
    Tweeter settings...
    [​IMG]

Mids settings
    [​IMG]

Sub settings
    [​IMG]

18. Jun 19, 2016 at 6:04 PM
    ike3000

Member:
    I apologize in advance if this is off base because I have not seen a post of your full set up, but I see several things a bit alarming about your tuning. It probably sounds good to your ears for take it for what it's worth.

1. 2kHz @ 6dB/oct seems pretty rough on tweeters. Again, I don't know which tweeters you're running. That shallow of a crossover on such a lower crossover point will be rough on many tweeters. You will not get much life at loud volumes.

2. I see boosts all over the place on your EQ graph. You should cut instead of boost. Less is more when it comes to EQ.

3. I recommend starting with symmetrical filters. e.g. same slope between mids and tweeters. I have 24 dB/oct on all of my filters and haven't had any issues. You could get by with shallower filters (18dB/oct, 12 dB/oct, 6dB/oct) at lower volumes but you run the risk of damaging speakers at higher volumes. I'm all about dynamics so steeper (24 dB/oct) filters work best for me. Whatever you settle on, keep the same slope between adjacent speakers to avoid weird phase shifts.

19. Jun 20, 2016 at 12:12 PM
    Zac of all trades

Zac of all trades [OP] FWP Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    fwpfab.com
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Locked DCLB
    886/5100s/AAL/UCAs/360 armor/RTT/295 17s
    I have currently installed:
    Stock 2013 head unit