1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Letting a car go...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Nightstr, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 9, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    i would sell the tacoma( since it is paid off) and get a lower payment on the runner

you live you learn
    best of luck OP

2. Aug 9, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Short financing period, expensive vehicle, high interest rate...there's a lot of ways to elevate a payment amount.

My payment for the Taco is over $600 per month. My car payment is higher than my rent. I like to be done with debts quickly.

3. Aug 9, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    $600 for a take over-payments sale might be too high for most potential buyers. You could try refinancing it for a longer period. It will reduce the payment and might make it more appealing to a take-over payments buyer. If you owe less than the vehicle is worth, it shouldn't be a problem.

Best bet is, as you said, is either to sell the 4-Runner privately if you can or sell the Tacoma and use the money to pay down the debt on the 4Runner. Then refinance it to get the payment lower on the 4Runner for anything left over.

Surrendering it should be a last option. You'll still be down to one vehicle, and you'll owe on the balance anyway. Plus you'll have a ding on your credit report. I think as long as a balance is owed and you haven't declared bankruptcy, the debt won't go away. If they can't collect on it, they'll sell the debt to a collection agency and you'll be hassled with that crap.

4. Aug 9, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    my initial payments were $425 per month but i would pay between $500 and $1000 depending on how much money i happened to have available that month. i'm buying a house so i refinanced and my payments are down to $260 per month, but i still pay between $500 and 1k (that may change for the first few months after we move into the house). my point is, i hate debt with a passion so i pay off as much as i can every month, but either way i want the payments as low as possible just in case i lose my job, or have an off month or an unexpected expense. im all for paying more than i owe each month but i want to owe as little as possible.

5. Aug 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    rkd1119

rkd1119 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    L.A. (lower Alabama)
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Trail Edition Ice Cap
    Scenario A: You sell the 4Runner for as much as possible (say $20K), and get a signature loan from the bank it's financed with to cover the shortage. You will have to do this immediately (best to have it arranged beforehand), as this is a titled asset. Whoever you sell it to will want the title, and your bank won't release it without payment in full. THIS IS THE HARD WAY, but also the best.

Scenario B: You surrender the 4Runner to the bank (voluntarily or otherwise). The bank auctions off the 4Runner at a dealer auction, where it will bring MAYBE $14-15K. This will leave a shortage twice as large as scenario A. The bank will get a judgement against you for this larger amount, plus any legal, sale, and repo/storage fees (which can be ENORMOUS).

The bank can and likely will chase you for the shortage in scenario B, including garnishing wages, collection agents, etc.

If there is an unsatisfied judgement against you, FORGET trying to get a home loan, or most any other credit.

YOU OWE FOR THE 4RUNNER. No way around it, you asked someone to loan you money to buy it and they did. What it's worth in relation to what you owe now is NOT THEIR PROBLEM.

You will end up paying for it one way or another. How much you end up paying will depend mostly on you. I'm not trying to be harsh, just trying to relate the facts as I see them. Good luck.

6. Aug 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Well stated. Good to see someone else knows how to bust out some Straight Talkin™.

7. Aug 10, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I'll just say this once....

Gas can, remote location, matches... :spy:

jk... sell the taco to pay down the 4runner...refinance