1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leveling Kit?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mgyz450f, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jul 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    mgyz450f

mgyz450f [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Sport
    Hey fellow Tacoma owners. First time posting and new to the site.

I was planning to add a front end leveling kit to my 08 4x4 Tacoma. Just had few questions if anybody can help me out.

1. Does it lower your gas mileage?
    2. Does it change the ride quality?
    3. Any long term affects on the life of the motor, transmission, etc?

These are definitely some rookie questions, since I dont know much about trucks/cars, but appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Jul 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    1. Any lift will
    2. If its a spacer yes new shock no
    3 don't think it should

3. Jul 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    mgyz450f

mgyz450f [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Sport
    Thanks Oowen!
    I probably wont add the leveling kit now since it has an affect on gas mileage.

4. Jul 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Start by reading through this: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11282-tacoma-lift-faq-guide-read.html

The kit itself won't necessarily lower your MPG. Yes, it gets the front of the truck up in the air a little more, and that allows more air to flow underneath - potentially increasing your drag. That increase in drag, I would think, is negligible. People see reduced MPG with lifts because they typically run bigger wheels/tires with the lift. These new wheels/tires are usually a lot heavier than the OEM setup, and that weight is more rotational mass the engine has to work against to propel the truck (larger load on the engine = lower MPG).

As far as spacer lifts ruining things, you're only preloading the factory springs in order to achieve the lift. The geometry of other components remains the same (the rest of the suspension doesn't know if you're running an aftermarket lengthened coilover or a preloaded stock coilover). The only things you run the risk of wearing out early with an in-coil spacer lift are the coil springs since they're under more pressure/preload. On the other hand, a top-coil spacer like ReadyLift does not prematurely wear out the coil springs because it sits on top of the strut/coil assembly. I've read posts about top-coil spacers potentially wearing out ball joints due to extended down-travel when the suspension is unloaded, but I've never actually heard of/seen anyone actually experience this.

I am by no means a lift expert, but I researched the same things you're asking prior to installing my mild lift & tires. If I'm wrong with any of this info - please, someone chime in!

5. Jul 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    Blocks have the ability to ruin your leafs in the back. Also, they can help lead to premature failure of your shocks in the front. They have pictures somewhere of them. I would go with some 5100's around and if under warranty, the leaf TSB. If not, then get an AAL (add a leaf) for the back to match it. You can set the 5100's to a few different heights.

6. Jul 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    mgyz450f

mgyz450f [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Sport
    Thanks guys for all your input.

All I'm trying to accomplish is to have the front end sit level with the rear. I'm not going to add any lift to the rear or change tire sizes, either. If it requires other modifications than a simple spacers or causes excessive wear to other parts of the truck, Illl probably just leave it stock.. My buddy put a front end leveling kit on his F150 and it looked sick, which is why I'm inquiring about this.

Again, thanks for all this. This information has been very helpful.

Products Discussed in

To Top