1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lexen BLUE LED MAP LIGHT

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tacomian devil, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mar 29, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    tacomian devil

tacomian devil [OP] Canadian member

Member:
    LA Canada
    Vehicle:
    SexyBlack TRD Sport DC LB w/ heated leather
    Nerf bars, Alum Knight Grill, CatBack Exhaust, Bakflip G2 HD tonneau, Dynolock electric tailgate lock, Webasto TVS 940 ST 2 panel electric sunroof, VIPER 5901 Alarm/Remote start, 3M FX PREMIUM 5% tint on back seat & rear slider, 15% on front windows. Retrofited Morimoto Projector headlights in smoked lamp housings with 35W 5000K bulbs lit by Denso slim ballasts, Gatling Gun shrouds capped with 100mm Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light rings.
    Has anyone installed one of these in place of their map lights or cabin light?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I bought one of these to try, but of course there are ZERO instructions with it. After removing the map light console from the ceiling of my 09 Double Cab (and having the metal clips to reattach the console now go missing in the headliner somewhere above), I realize that this light isn't EXACTLY plug n play as promised.

There are PLASTIC DAMS on both driver and passenger sides of the console map lights that prevent the easy removal of the existing lights. Does one have to somehow unplug/remove them by manipulating them past the plastic dams to install this light? (BREAKAGE comes to mind)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/booyagadget/5402149309/in/set-72157625816071715/

(Thanks acozzens for above; AWESOME pics and write-up in HEADLINER removal mod to show map light console guts and plastic dams preventing removal)

Do you install the LEXEN LED LIGHT somehow without removing the console (see Wolfpack map light LED mod) by removing the map light lens from below?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/148569-map-light-led-installation.html

Anyone?

2. Mar 30, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    tacomian devil

tacomian devil [OP] Canadian member

Member:
    LA Canada
    Vehicle:
    SexyBlack TRD Sport DC LB w/ heated leather
    Nerf bars, Alum Knight Grill, CatBack Exhaust, Bakflip G2 HD tonneau, Dynolock electric tailgate lock, Webasto TVS 940 ST 2 panel electric sunroof, VIPER 5901 Alarm/Remote start, 3M FX PREMIUM 5% tint on back seat & rear slider, 15% on front windows. Retrofited Morimoto Projector headlights in smoked lamp housings with 35W 5000K bulbs lit by Denso slim ballasts, Gatling Gun shrouds capped with 100mm Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light rings.
    Only a dimly-lit-wit (like me) would have any difficulty with this task. You DON'T remove the entire ceiling CONSOLE. :frusty:

The suppliers TELL you its an easy install, and it is, as long as you know the ONLY trick to it.... That ONLY trick is to remove the LENS without BREAKING it.

This is what they send you in the LEXEN BLUE LED TWO-PACK MAPLIGHT XENON HID KIT FOR TACOMA, which is neither xenon, nor HID (~$9+shipping).

[​IMG]

As documented by WOLFPACK in his maplight mod, use a very small FLATHEAD screwdriver (I used a eyeglass repair kit flathead screwdriver so I didn't even need any tape on it it to prevent scratching)... AND...

PRY the lens out from the side of the LENS (left or right) closest to the DOOR of the truck (i.e. From the driver's side of the LENS on the driver's maplight, and from the passenger's side of the maplight when removing the passenger's maplight lens).

[​IMG]

Pull the existing bulb out, add the adapter included with the LEXEN BLUE LED MAPLIGHT KIT,

[​IMG]

DONE + DONE. I Know alot of you will think its ricey, but with the greyish blue leather in my truck, these blue maplights look cool and light well enough to still be useful.

[​IMG]

I like the light so much, I am going to put the matching BLUE light in the CABIN light, and also some 12" LED BLUE light strips under each (driver's and passenger's) dash to illuminate the floor. I think I will just wire them to open-door lighting, but if I get really motivated, I might use one of those EMPTY switches.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

3. May 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    that looks sick dude, i just wired up my pioneer flat screen radio myself so i might try something like this now...

4. Nov 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    mainewoodsballer

mainewoodsballer YESSAHBUD...heyut

Member:
    First Name:
    Ol' Waltah
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport (Pyrite Mica)
    Check out my Build to See!
    Got one in my Dome light...works awsome and took about a few seconds to install.
    [​IMG]

To Top