1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

License plate lights?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sack17, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Oct 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    5 months later....

[​IMG]

2. Oct 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I was talking about the OP. This thread is almost a year old.

3. Oct 6, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    OK. I'm attempting to hook up some Amazon special LED license plate lights built into the mounting screws.
    They have a red and a black wire. I tried hooking the red wire to the single wire that was attached to the old lights and then just grounding the black wires to the steel after market bumper. I got no light.
    The LEDs work fine if I have tap them on the battery.
    Do I need to run the black wire to a separate ground line that goes to the battery or should it work if I attach straight to the frame?

4. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    will.i.was

will.i.was Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    I would ground it to chassis and not the steel bumper or sub components unless you grind down the mating surface. Electricity doesn't conduct very well through painted surfaces or parts that are fastened on.

Andddd holy thread revival batman

Island Cruiser likes this.
  5. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:03 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    Puhhhhraaaaisssse Jeeezuhs!!!! Its a Revival!!!!

JasonLee likes this.
  6. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:05 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:

7. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    I will try it again then. I was using one of the other non light license plate mounting bolts for the connection.

8. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    will.i.was

will.i.was Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    You could always run a ground wire to chassis, I had to extend some of my wiring for the lights to work properly.

IMG_20200831_093854.jpg

9. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    CttAznRanger

CttAznRanger Crazy NE Asian with the Cali Lean (temporary)

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport
    @Unchained 5150 has a similar question, if ya'll are willing to help.
    He has an LED license plate light. I had him try to tap into the existing lights, which have a green wire and a white with black stripe wire. Am I under the correct assumption that green is ground and white with black stripe is power?

10. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Thanks Brother

CttAznRanger likes this.
  11. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    No. White/black is always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always,always, ground on these trucks.

12. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    Muddinfun

Member:
    @bkrdave36 Why aren't you using the original white/black license plate light ground wire?

13. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Always?

14. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    Muddinfun

Member:
    8 days a week.

15. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:50 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    I only have the single wire.

16. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:52 PM
    CttAznRanger

CttAznRanger Crazy NE Asian with the Cali Lean (temporary)

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Good to know.

17. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Ah ha! I thought so!

I thought it might be black a few days a year too.

18. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    Muddinfun

Member:
    Follow the wire upstream til you get to the 4 pin wire connector. The factory runs a positive and ground to each light, so you should have 4 wires.

bkrdave36[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:54 PM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    You're going to need both a hot and a ground to light them up. And LEDs are polarity sensitive if you use one of them.

bkrdave36[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 7, 2020 at 3:01 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    Time to go fishin' !

Products Discussed in

To Top