1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Life lessons

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by hoosiertaco, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Wow Ben, your grandmother has experienced over a century of living. I bet she has some life lesson stories to share!! :)

2. Oct 17, 2009 at 3:21 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, she is very interesting. But as said above, one big thing she says is to not take the good things in life for granted. Also, as said above, she has told me to not fret over minor details.(which I do constantly:eek:)

Quick story about my gr grandma......she truly does not like her pic taken. It's not a show, she really dislikes it. Everyone in the family knows it and they are always nagging and teasing her to get a picture. When my twins were born, that made them the 5th generation. I wanted to get 5 generation pics professionally taken and all my family said it wouldn't happen.

One day, when my kids were about 7-8 months old, I sat down next to granny, put my arm around her and yelled into her 'not as bad ear', will you get a 5 gen pic taken for me?

She just kinda gruffed/growled.....she didn't give me straight answer and sat there with her arms crossed. I just told her that it would mean the world to me and we went on about our day.

Amazingly, the next day she called my grandma,(her daughter) and said,"you got me an appoiontment with the hair dresser yet?" Well all my family knew what I had asked her, remember you have to yell for her to hear you so there are no secrets around gr grandma.

My grandma asked her why, just to hear her response. She said, "cause Ben wants these pictures done and I have to have my hair done."

Needless to say my family was in shock, and I had an appointment at a studio that very next Saturday so she couldn't change her mind.

The first picture taken was with my twins sitting on each of her knees and it was perfect! Tears me up just typing about it. She didn't really smile big, but her expression was of such immense pride!! Thanks for reading, I love this story!! She's awesome!!

3. Oct 17, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    You mention not liking having pictures taken... my older sister hated having her picture taken, so we didn't take it. She was diagnosed with cancer and for several months, we thought she was gonna be cured. We found out three weeks before she died that she wasn't going to make it... now I think I have TWO pictures of her as a grown up.

I hate having my picture taken as well, but I let it be taken so my kids/grandbabies will have a few.

A word of advice to anyone who hates pictures... let one or two a year be taken, cause you never know when it's gonna be your time, and that way those left behind will have some pics of you.

4. Oct 17, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    I'm so sorry for your loss Susan.

It's so terrific you use your situation to help others. Excellent advice!!

Hey...wait.....there is an important life lesson right there!!!:thumbsup:

5. Oct 17, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Thanks Ben

6. Oct 17, 2009 at 7:00 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    You're welcome Susan.:)

To Top