1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift and Towing Advice

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by thresher, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Jul 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    thresher

thresher [OP] Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    RevTek 3" lift AAL, BFG A/T KO (E) 285/70/R17, Moto Metal 955 17x9, Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Advantage Hard Hat Tonneau, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, Wet Okle Seat Covers, WeatherTech DigitalFit FloorLiner and Side Window Deflectors, yellow wire mod (coming soon!)
    I have a 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Double Cab Short Bed. I've done some minor modifications to it at this point. (see the complete list in my profile).

I just need some advice as I've done tons of research on here already. In fact I've been lurking for a good long while and most of my modifications were based off suggestions from this very forum.

The main issue is that I didn't understand what the TSB was until after I had my Revtek 3 inch lift w/ AAL installed. I also tow a 4400lb (~6000lb loaded) travel trailer. I NEED the TSB done. I took it to the dealership and they had no issue agreeing to do the TSB until the saw that I had the AAL instead of blocks in the rear. The mechanic made it sound like I would have to switch to blocks in the rear for him to do the TSB, maybe I just need to have the AAL removed and reinstalled after the TSB is completed? I really don't want to switch to blocks unless I have to, especially since I plan on changing out the entire lift kit sometime next year most likely.

I guess I just need to know, for the short term, if the TSB and the Revtek AAL can exist together and I can get the work done without buying blocks or replacing the lift earlier than I would like. I also want to install LR UAC to fix the alignment and steering wobble issues with a 3 inch lift.

If I can just go with the LR UAC to fix the alignment and get the TSB done while still using the Revtek AAL that would be perfect. Then next year I can upgrade the whole lift. What I really don't want to do is change the rear lift to blocks and then replace it all next year or the year after.

I regret installing the Revtek lift and wish I had done either the Toyotec Ultimate Lift w/ TSB AAL or the OME lift kit and I will be redoing it sometime in the future. Long term, I was leaning towards the Toyotec Ultimate lift, but with my towing needs in mind, if anyone has any suggestions on my future lift that would be great as well. I'd really like to do it right next time around and be done with it.

This truck is my daily driver, with a few trips to Home Depot to carry stone, bark-dust, furniture, etc. I also tow that trailer and go up hunting, camping, and general outdoor stuff throughout the year. While I don't do any "hardcore" off-road I would definitely like to have some decent capability considering it can get fairly rough, rocky, and down right sloppy (not to mention snow) where I go hunting at.

Thank in advance for everyone's replies!

2. Jul 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    thresher

thresher [OP] Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    RevTek 3" lift AAL, BFG A/T KO (E) 285/70/R17, Moto Metal 955 17x9, Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Advantage Hard Hat Tonneau, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, Wet Okle Seat Covers, WeatherTech DigitalFit FloorLiner and Side Window Deflectors, yellow wire mod (coming soon!)
    Thanks for the info. You don't think the TSB alone would be enough? I had a sneaking suspicion that that Toyota Mechanic COULD do the TSB with the AAL on there but it would have been extra work.

I know it will probably add a bit of rake to the truck but honestly if your towing you don't want a level truck unloaded because it has no room at all to sag.

I think I will start off by talking to the guys that did my lift and see if we can work out some kinda re-lift on the back after I get Toyota to do the TSB and then redo the lift next year.

Still leaves me with a driveline vibration and the steering wobble to deal with. I'm sure the LR UAC will fix the steering wobble, but not sure what to do about the driveline vibration.

3. Jul 28, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    The TSB is a whole new leaf pack. I'm guessing if you want to get the TSB done you will have to remove the AAL, get the TSB, then reinstall it in the new leaf pack.

4. Jul 28, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    thresher

thresher [OP] Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    So it sounds to me as if I should install the LR UAC.. remove the AAL... have Toyota do the TSB.. reinstall the AAL and that should get me through in the short term. (possibly with a carrier bearing drop and some shims). I do actually want some of the rake back so that works for me.

Then next year or the year after redo the lift with some OME coilovers and the dakar leaf pack. Does that leaf pack give sufficient lift in the back or do you need an AAL on it as well? And probably new shocks..

While I do tow that travel trailer that is about 6000lbs loaded, I really only tow it a few times a year. Even with proper suspension and the trailer break controller installed (already done) the issue I don't think I can ever solve is that a Tacoma only gets about 11mpg when towing that much. And stopping every 150 miles for gas gets annoying when you have to navigate a trailer in a gas station. :)

The real test will be how the Revtek spacer lift up front performs during hunting this year. Every once in a while a hit a speed bump a little to hard and it is down right JARRING. If that spacer lift performs like that up hunting then I will definitely be replacing it. That would just be to hard on the rig.

Products Discussed in

To Top