1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift for 09 Taco-mostly street, ride quality

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by idgara007, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Apr 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    idgara007

idgara007 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    tx/CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport double cab
    I love my 09 trd sport double cab, but want to lift it up. I like how it handles, the smoothness of the ride, its stock off-road capabilities (i dont go off roading too much but when i take it out camping and to the trails it handles fine as is) but now I just want to lift it mostly for looks. I do want to keep the ride quality as best as possible and do not want to sacrifice that. Price is not much of a factor because I would rather save and purchase a better kit that has better performance than something cheaper. I have searched and found some recommendations but Im somewhat torn between what to get. Im not even sure what size lift. I like the look of the 6" lifts (and the lift is mainly for looks anyways) but I dont like the fact I have to modify the frame and cut a chunk out. Id rather have the option to replace all the stuff with stock for whatever reason if that may come up. Most 3" suspension lifts only change out parts such as the coils, aal, etc. Some lifts I found when searching were the toytec ultimate lift kit (3"), and fabtech and procomp for the 6". I do understand the 6" will be considerably more expensive (even more for a SAS or LA kit, but since im not a heavy off roader, they shouldnt be necessary) but if the frame modifications arent too bad, then i could definitely get a 6" Sorry for the long post, but I know lifts have been covered to death, and wanted to be as specific as possible to get some input. Thank you very much

2. Apr 20, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Real quick, a 6" lift is cheaper than LT and SAS.

For a good and easy complete 3", Old Man Emu (OME) seems to be the concensus for ride quality with good performance.

As for the 6" not sure... Fabtech's had some good reviews. Someone else can better fill you in here.

First, look all over the forum and find trucks you like, see if the owner has made a 'Build Thread' which will tell you all about what lift, tires, etc. they are using. Then start narrowing it down to 2-3 optiions, then folks on here will be able to help you better on your final decision.

And welcome to TW.

3. Apr 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    06TRDZombieHunter

06TRDZombieHunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB
    K&N Intake System Port and Polish of TB x2 E3 Diamondfire Sparkplugs 2.5" Leveling kit 32" BFG A/Ts Zombie Response decals Custom painted grill, trim under headlights, scoop, intake and manifold. No more mud flaps, Temp gauge inside intake box, BHLM, extra D-rings in front of bed, No more plastic storage box behind rear seats. More to come.
    Any lift over 3" and you'll definitely feel the ride quality decline. I popped in a cheap leveling kit by RevTek and could feel the ride change a bit.. (diff tires too though) You'd be surprised at the clearance with a level and some taller tires.. 32" fit just fine without any trimming, just dont buy them too wide or they'll rub on your UCAs with stock rims.

But if lift is all you're looking for, tires are a larger budget item.

4. Apr 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I just installed my OME lift on Wed , I think it's great .

5. Apr 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Icon Ext Travel Coils, Built right UCAs, nFab light bar, Fox 2.0 piggy backs, Demello Sliders, Weather Tech Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Mufler, 6000k HIDs Headlights, 3000K HIDs Fog Lights, Fogs Anytime Mod. Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap.
    Toytec is not bad. Rides great. Get it. lol

6. Apr 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    JdMeF9SiR2

JdMeF9SiR2 PARTS HOARDER

Member:
    Riverside CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
  7. Apr 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    +1 OME... AAL in the rear now. OME leaf pack whenever what I got back there now craps out...

8. Apr 21, 2011 at 1:00 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD .....

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD DCSB
  9. Apr 21, 2011 at 3:58 AM
    K1992f

K1992f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kanon
    Dirty Hanover pa ...
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma TRD sport fully loaded
    6" fabteck 20" fuel hostage 33" nitto MTs
    RCD 4.5" lift .. You say ur worried about how it rides then figure on cutting ur cross member .. The rcd ride like stock ...

10. Apr 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4wd
    Total Chaos UCA with Fox 2.5 RR coilovers, OME Dakars with Fox 2.0s on the rear, BFG KM2 on KMC Enduro's, All-Pro Hybrid Bumper, SDTruckShopRock Sliders, Warn 9.5XP winch, LightForce 170s, Leer 100XR, and ATO Hi-Lift Mount.
    5100's til the bug hits you and you decide to get coilovers of some sort. The 5100's will re sale real quick. I'd avoid a DB lift unless you just want the look.

11. Apr 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    idgara007

Member:
    tx/CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport double cab
    Thanks for all the help guys, I have decided to go with a 3" lift instead of the larger ones. Im 99% sure Ill get the toytec ultimate lift kit, unless anyone has any reasons not to or thinks another choice is better. I will get some UCAs since it is a high lift and everyone recommends the total chaos, but some have said the icons are better. Any input is greatly appreciated about this.

I also want to get larger tires (and new wheels) and Im looking at getting 285 goodyear duratracs. Im not sure on wheels not but basically whatever will fit with minimal cutting/spacers/etc. I probably wont be doing much offroading at all, mostly highway and streets so will I need to do any trimming or cutting? I dont have the mud flaps on also. I know everyone says to trim some areas but they always are going off road. If I will need trimming/cutting, how is this done? more specifically, what places do I have to trim?

Thanks again for the suggestions guys

12. Apr 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    idgara007

Member:
    tx/CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport double cab
  13. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Icon Ext Travel Coils, Built right UCAs, nFab light bar, Fox 2.0 piggy backs, Demello Sliders, Weather Tech Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Mufler, 6000k HIDs Headlights, 3000K HIDs Fog Lights, Fogs Anytime Mod. Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap.
    I think you'll have to trim/cut even if you don't go off road.

14. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You will have to do the regular trimming to fit 285's

15. May 1, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    idgara007

Member:
    tx/CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport double cab
    are there any threads/pics of the "normal trimming"? (noob here obviously)
    or is it just throw em on and turn thru a full range of motion and see where it rubs, then trim away as needed?

Also, are there any other parts or pieces necessary for lifting my truck? other than new wheels and tires when I finally get some. But do I need to regear, put longer brake lines, or any other mods?

and does anyone have any positive or negative feedback about the toytec ULK or the total chaos UCAs? Im going to order both and install em together, unless anyone has any better suggestions. Ive seen many people have both kits and they seem to be generally all positive.

Thanks for the help guys, its greatly appreciated!

To Top