1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift for 2011 Dbl Cab 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fitztaco, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    fitztaco

fitztaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Pkg
    Hi All,

I had originally posted this in the suspension section, but after gaming around the site this seems to be a better place for the discussion. I'll apologize in advance for the noob question...but I'm pretty new to the site and brimming with enthusiasm about modifying my Taco. Brief intro tot he truck...it is a 2011 4 door cab, 6 spd manual, 4.0l V6 4X4 with the TRD off-road package.

There is a wealth of information (slightly overwhelming in fact) here on adding a lift to your Tacoma. From my perspective it seems that there are two favorites, the Old Man Emu from ARB and the ultimate suspension lift kit from Toytec. I have to admit form a vanity perspective the Toytec looks badass with the red springs. But it seems like the major benefit to the Toytec, apart from it being adjustable, is that it comes with the coil overs already assembled and it also comes with lightweight RCA's and the shims for aligning the rear axle pinions which the ARB kit doesn't come with.

So my questions are:

1. What are peoples opinions on each lift kit? Which one would be better bet and why?
    2. I also want to upgrade to larger wheels and tires. Should I stick with the 16 inch stock alloys I have and upgrade to 33's, or should I go to a 17 inch rim and 33's?
    3. Should I be concerned about rubbing with the wheel/tire size changes. I notice that some people have added a 1/4 inch spacer when adding 33 inch tires, but I would appreciate any thoughts on the best approach. I would like to try and avoid hacking up the wheel well although I don't care about removing the mud flaps obviously.

In terms of a budget I'm not fussed, but it would be good to keep it around $2k all in. I started looking at Kings and that got expensive pretty quickly :)

Thanks for the advice,
    Fitz.

2. Apr 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    fitztaco

fitztaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I had read that. I was more curious about peoples opinions and personal experiences.

Cheers,
    Fitz.

3. Apr 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    david2011sr5

david2011sr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    take a guess
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    afe pro dry, weather tech floor liners,5100's on all four corners@ 0, eibach 620 coils. toytec 3/4" spacer driver/s & passenger/s, rear spring tsb w/toytec 1" blocks, 4runner sport wheels, in channel vent visors, 1.25 spidertrax wheel spacers on the front, Wet Okole's, smity tow hook.
    I cant give a openion on the OME kit, but Ive heard nothing but good things. I'm running 5100's front & rear, eibach 620's and toytec 3/4 lift spacers (no taco lean) and the ride is awesome. Toytec ajustable kit seems rather pricey for pretty much the same setup i have, and i paid alot less. If ajustability is somthing you want pay a little more for some coil overs you can rebuild.

4. Apr 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    fitztaco

fitztaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Hi David,

Did you change you tire size and also rims too? If so, how much did you have to cut away to remove the rubbing issue, or did you add a 1/4 inch spacer to each wheel?

Cheers,
    J.

5. Apr 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    Shep6924

Shep6924 Active Member

Member:
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Debadged
    Side steps/nerf bars, iPod interface! Bug/rock deflector (removed!), 3" bilstein coilover 5100 & add-a-leaf, 1" diff drop! 1.25" spidertrax spacers, Light racing UCAs
    Got coil overs for mine and installed last weekend. Then I bought UCAs and 1.25" spacers. Put on 285/70/17 on my stock wheels today. There's some rubbing on front drivers side, but I'm going to let it rub a bit so I know where to trim. I went with 3" toytec bilstein coilovers with 5100s and AAL. They also come pre assembled and are adjustable. I can't justify the ultimate lift kit with the small amount of offloading I do. Good luck!

6. Apr 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Hey man, look up DownSouth Motorsports, they've got good prices and are really helpful if you've got any suspension questions...they are also located here in SD_

7. Apr 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    Shep6924

Shep6924 Active Member

Member:
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Debadged
    Side steps/nerf bars, iPod interface! Bug/rock deflector (removed!), 3" bilstein coilover 5100 & add-a-leaf, 1" diff drop! 1.25" spidertrax spacers, Light racing UCAs
    Here's mine

lifted 11 TRD Sport.jpg

8. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:
    I did a 1.75" Billie "adjustment" but overall here are the totals -

265/75/16 Pirelli ATR ($680 - sale)
    Dick Cepek Torque 16x8 ($500)
    5100's for Front ($180)
    Powercoated TRD springs ($50 for 2)

[​IMG]

Billie Install and Alignment ($200)

Total - $1610

9. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Or...just get billie 5100s and some OME 885s, get some 265/75/16 tires and you'll be good. That's what I'm running and its fine for what I do. when I've got a couple grande to blow ill upgrade the UCAs and get some Kings ;-)

To Top