1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift help please

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jmartin89, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Oct 2, 2011 at 2:46 AM
    Jmartin89

Jmartin89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma TRD off road
    265/75/16 buckshot mudders, 3" lift OME 886 coils, LR UCA's, TRD cold air intake, AllPro rear bumper, rock sliders, and front bumper
    Ok i have the OME lift kit with the 886 coils on the front and the AAL on the back i want to lift it a little more with the Daystarr 2.5 strutt spacers on the front and blocks on the back my question is will the spacer work with the OME coils if not where can i find some that will

2. Oct 2, 2011 at 3:29 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    How much lift are you already getting?
    Stacking lifts is not a good thing. too much lift destroys your suspension.

If you want more lift, you're going to have to move to DB lifts

3. Oct 2, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    Jmartin89

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma TRD off road
    265/75/16 buckshot mudders, 3" lift OME 886 coils, LR UCA's, TRD cold air intake, AllPro rear bumper, rock sliders, and front bumper
    its already about 3 inchs i just want a little higher the front is all coilspring im just wanting to put a coil spacer on it

4. Oct 2, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    anything more than 3" is going to put too much strain on various different parts of your suspension, and you'll need new UCA's to keep it aligned
    and this will happen, a lot.
    [​IMG]

if you really want more lift, try looking at RCD's 4.5" lift, or a 6". Anything higher requires dropped brackets

5. Oct 2, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    I see you're 4x4. Can't get over three inches without a drop bracket.

6. Oct 2, 2011 at 5:18 AM
    Jmartin89

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma TRD off road
    ive got LR UCAs on it already and are you talking about a diff drop

7. Oct 2, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    no. Look up dropped bracket lifts. Basically, they lift the truck while keeping the differential the same height- all the trucks you see that are sky high are dropped bracket lifts.

8. Oct 2, 2011 at 5:24 AM
    VirginiaBound

Member:
    First Name:
    [​IMG]

You need a drop bracket, lowering the front differential down.

Fabtech 6 inch lift, ect.

9. Oct 2, 2011 at 5:34 AM
    nubbs

nubbs Only from the waist down.

Member:
    First Name:
    Reverend
    Fontana, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    3.5" CST Spindle, 5100 Series Bilstien Shocks, 1 1/4" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, 295/75/16 BFG AT's, EBC Slotted and Dimpled Rotors, EBC Green Stuff Pads, K&N Drop-in, Pioneer Avic-Z110BT GPS Head Unit w/ E-Brake Mod, Ipod Integration, Integrated Pioneer XM Radio Receiver, 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Separates, 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Coaxles, Custom Speaker Adapters, PAC Stealth Backup Camera (Because anyone in a double cab knows you can't see the tailgate.)
    I'm really not a fan of those OME coil kits. They leave that upper ball joint at such a horrible angle at ride height and take all the droop out of the suspension. Ever look into spindles?

10. Oct 2, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    Jmartin89

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma TRD off road
    yeah i see what your talking about now i looked at the RCD one but i just got the OME lift so im gonna nix this project for now and wait till a few 100000 miles and i different daily driver vehicle before i do that ill just stick with what i got that RCD is kind of pricey how much was the fabtech one

11. Oct 2, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    VirginiaBound

Member:
    First Name:
    He's 4x4, he can't with spindles. :(

12. Oct 2, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    nubbs

nubbs Only from the waist down.

Member:
    First Name:
    Reverend
    Fontana, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    3.5" CST Spindle, 5100 Series Bilstien Shocks, 1 1/4" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, 295/75/16 BFG AT's, EBC Slotted and Dimpled Rotors, EBC Green Stuff Pads, K&N Drop-in, Pioneer Avic-Z110BT GPS Head Unit w/ E-Brake Mod, Ipod Integration, Integrated Pioneer XM Radio Receiver, 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Separates, 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Coaxles, Custom Speaker Adapters, PAC Stealth Backup Camera (Because anyone in a double cab knows you can't see the tailgate.)
    Spindles, i.e. drop down kit. I hate 4wd IFS, unless you have ridiculous money you'll always be stuck with a drop down, which in terms of
    off-roadability is like shooting yourself in the foot.

13. Oct 2, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    Jmartin89

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma TRD off road
    I like the ome kit its seems pretty good drives good i have the LR UCAs and the ball joints dont seem to be to bad of an angle

14. Oct 2, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    ome is a great kit ive wheeled so tough shit with guys that have that lift and it flexs and rides great cant go wrong with ome....youy got a great susp. OP but like said none of us 4wd can go over 3in without big probles or drop brackest

15. Oct 2, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    VirginiaBound

Member:
    First Name:
    :laughing: Great way to put it!

I opted for a 3 inch lift because I don't have to re-gear, it's affordable, it drives great and if I ever decide to drop back down to factory height I can.

16. Oct 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    You can get over 3" without a drop bracket.

But be prepared for expense (parts alone will be around 3 to 4 grand) and adding some new stuff to your regular maintenance schedule (re-booting CV axles).

Long travel is also an option if you're OK spend into the 5 grand range. Won't get you much more height, but will give you more suspension flex.

If you really want to get above 3" and maintain the best offroad ability, it's time to start looking at axle swaps.

17. Oct 2, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    VirginiaBound

Member:
    First Name:
    And how is this possible?

Derp?

18. Oct 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Keep cranking the coilovers up. Get higher rate springs. Eventually you will run into a limiting factor (LCA balljoint binding, CV axle binding, Downtravel). It's not like anything is maxed out at three inches of lift, especially if you do it right with extended travel coilovers and uniball UCAs.

19. Oct 2, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    well said...

20. Oct 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    VirginiaBound

Member:
    First Name:
    I hate to be that guy. . .

So you feel that's a correct way to lift simply because no immediate signs show themselves? As far as "maxing out" the suspensions travel goes, you could go to at least 3 1/2 above the factory height on a stock suspension. Though it's technically possible, that runs a narrow line that simply isn't worth .5 inches of lift.

I don't want to be the one with ball joints failing, tires wearing incorrectly and premature failure of suspension parts.

To Top