1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift ideas and info

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mainmoe02, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    I'm wanting to give my stock 01 Tacoma a little bit more of a "stocky" look. I have the biggest size tires that fit. So I'm thinking maybe a 2 inch body lift? I kinda don't want to get into the suspension lift really because of price. All I'm looking for is a tiny bit more height. So I'm thinking maybe if I get a 2 inch body lift then maybe I'll also be able to go up another tire size or two. Let me know what you think or have experienced?

2nd question
    -Guy at the tire shop said they could do something to the rims so that the tires would be pushed out in the wheelwell just a little bit more. He said it would push the tires out to be flush with the fender. He said it would give it that stocky look I'm aiming for. In my mind I was thinking of those cars that have the wheels sticking out way beyond the fender. Which is not what im looking for. Has anyone heard or done this before? If so, how does it look?

Thanks!!!!!!!

2. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    CBR1000RR

CBR1000RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD DoubleCab
    Toytec ultimate lift kit
    The problem with doing a body lift is that the mounts can become loose over time. Also when you lift the body the front and rear bumpers will have a 2 inch gap between the bumper and the body and the bed. Your better off saving up for even a cheaper suspension lift. As far as what the shop is talking about doing with your wheels is adding a spacer in between the hub of the wheel and the wheel itself to push the wheel out of the fender a little bit for that "stocky" look your going for. I would stay away from the body lift for sure. And the wheel spacers will put more stress on your wheel bearings depending on how big of a spacer you get.

3. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    peow130

peow130 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    1998 Taco TRD w/ 2.5" Skyjacker lift and 33's
    2.5" Skyjacker Platinum
    Daystar sells a 2.5" kit for pretty cheap. Just an AAL and a coil spacer, but it'll get you lifted.

4. May 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    God it's like the blind leading the blind in here....

...Okay, so what kind of lift are you running as of now? If any?

Body lift is okay at 1" (not my first choice) but won't really change much and will give you that extra space to stuff larger tires. Just don't wheel the hell out of it

Wheel spacers like spidertrax will stick the tires out about 1.25" usually and give the truck a better, wider stance

5. May 16, 2013 at 1:15 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Bilstein 5100's leveled at 1" or 2.5" with 1.5" 3 leaf AAL.

6. May 16, 2013 at 6:07 AM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Hey guys thanks for the help. When I posted this I hadn't done much research myself and was just getting help from others. So for the past 3 weeks I've been constantly researching and reading other people's experiences. I feel like instead of a lift kit, I'm gonna go with a good performance suspension that will give me the lift I want plus quality in the ride. Although I can't seem to find much info on what size leaf pack springs I need in order to get the rear raised about 2 inches or maybe 3 inches? Although I did find the OME leaf springs. So here's what I've set my list at

I would like:
    -Bilstein 5100's all around (5125's rear) ($320 for all 4)
    -Front EIBACH coil springs to get 3" lift in front ($170 pair)
    -Rear 2.25" lift OME new leaf pack. ($400 pair)

So about $900 for parts only. Does that sound about the right price for a set up like this? If y'all know of anything just as good or similar for a little less $ then please let me know. Also if those prices look way off then let me know and I'll call the company and talk to someone to get final prices.

Would this be a decent suspension system that would improve ride quality, and get me lifted about 3" in front and level with the rear?

Thanks for the help!

7. May 16, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    It isnt on your list but look at Ironman lift. I am on my phone otherwise I would give you a link. There are a few threads on here about them, it is about a 2" lift so better chance of no bearing and uca issues

8. May 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Don't forget extended rear brake lines, longer u bolts, depending on the condition of your stock main eye bolt, you may need a new one also it'll be greaseable, exhaust relocation bracket, shackles but you can use stock ones or get OME greaseable ones, bushings and the all important brake proportional valve bracket.

9. May 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    So when I ordered my new suspension today I asked about...

-Extended rear brake lines and both Toy tec and DSMS said it wasn't necessary. They both said the stock brake line would be fine. Is this correct?

-I did get the Longer U-bolts even though the guy from DSMS said it wasn't necessary. Jeff from Toytec said I should, so I did

-I got the exhaust relocation bracket

-I'm gonna use stock shackles

-I got the bushings

-and I got the brake proportional valve bracket.

I hope this is all I need to install. I'm still debating wether I should try this on my own or take it to a shop? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined.

Products Discussed in

To Top