1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lift kit problem

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by astelzer, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    astelzer

astelzer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    California
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    lift kit
    My name is Aaron, and I wanted to give any Tacoma owner a heads up on lift kit vendors. Years back, I had my 2002 Tacoma lifted with a Revtek lift kit. Shortly after, like many other owners, I began having problems with with inner CV boots ripping. After my 2nd time replacing them [at my cost], I contacted Revtek who sold me a drop bracket [with no discount] which did nothing except cost me extra money--6 months later my CV boots were ripped again. Also, I spoke with a former employee of Revtek, who said that failing CV boots were common on Toyotas with the Revtek lift kits. Now, in addition to replacing my CV boots yet again, I am paying to get the Revtek lift kit removed from my truck. When I contacted the Revtek technical and customer support, they insisted that "they have never had this problem before" which is obviously false since I read about it frequently on the internet. A friend of mine that owns a Tundra is having the same issue. My conversation with Revtek ended with them hanging up on me.

I am writing this so that no one else has to go through this; I highly recommend not using Revtek for a Toyota lift kit. It sounds like other vendors do a better job.:(

2. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    5100s FTW! but seriously... im sorry man that sucks. think about going bilstein 5100s next time!

thanks for the heads up!

3. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    ewa2fl

ewa2fl Taco Jinx...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Wayne Co. 14516
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma DBLB V6 4x4
    Plati-Dip Badges & Removed a few, added D-rings in Bed, added recovery D-shackle, Added Front Recovery Hook, TRD Skid Plate-Rhinoed, added 2 mini tie downs, removed rear seat headrests.
    What is the best bang for your buck suspension, front & back lift kit out there for a 2008 Tacoma? I just got mine & want to lift it 3" before winter hits in Up-state NY, whick could be next week! Also, with a 3" lift, what is the best size tires to go with? I have an 1hr commute to work, so want road tires, but still want an aggressive tread so going off-road wont be an issue... Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

4. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Toytec ULK, OME Dakar leafs, LED conversion, RBP sidesteps, Nitto Trail Grapplers, AR ATX Artillery 16" wheels, Doug Thorley LTH/Pipe Bomb, TRD Exhaust W/Classic Chambered Powerstick, Lightend Flywheel
    Dang! First post was a duzie...sorry to hear your frustrastion that sucks.

Oh yea, welcome to Tacoma World...

5. Jun 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    toyotakits

toyotakits Member

Member:
    Aaron, Its to bad you feel the way you do. You after 8 years of running the kit you are now having a few common problems on wearable itmes and of course its the lift kits fault. We have installed many of the Revtek kits on Toyota's and have not had such an issue. We use the Revtek drop kits on other companies lifts that do not provide them as well. It sounds like you could have another issue.

6. Jun 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    15 Black DC OR Prerunner
    Sorry to hear you have all these problems, but it has nothing to do specifically with revtec. Any kit that lifts the truck is going to create higher CV angles and cause the CV boots to wear faster regardless of who sells or makes the kit.

7. Jun 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    where in ny are you...pm me ill help you out with all your questions
    i have a house near red hook 12571

8. Jun 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I have an 08 and have A full OME setup. It runs more stiff which could be a plus or bad thing depending on who you are. I also have 17 inch rims with 265/70/17 nitto trail grapplers. Overall its a good setup but isn't top of the line by any means.

9. Jun 10, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    ewa2fl

ewa2fl Taco Jinx...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Wayne Co. 14516
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma DBLB V6 4x4
    Plati-Dip Badges & Removed a few, added D-rings in Bed, added recovery D-shackle, Added Front Recovery Hook, TRD Skid Plate-Rhinoed, added 2 mini tie downs, removed rear seat headrests.
    Nice Rig Montana Taco, Im inbetween Syracuse & Rochester, NY. $$$ is a factor of course, but over time I will accomplish my task of Moding the truck! It seems everytime I do complete a Mod, I trade it in.... LMAO I was living in FL, now I'm back home in the Boondocks, & I want my 4x4! I wanted to start with the suspension, Tires & wheels. The simpler items will occure as I find them. I think I will sell my chrome bull-nose & go with the slim line style that mounts through the grille. I also like the slim line step bars, trying to find a supplier with good prices. I like my lights, and uniuqe look items. Thinkin of accenting the Gold & Black Taco with Camo, seems appropriate being back home, hunting, and off-roading. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the welcome y'all.

10. Jun 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    Thanks...I have a grillcraft grill now which imo really adds to the truck. I would suggest nitto tires, they are good quality and don't break the bank to much.

To Top