1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift Nightmare and failure, Suggestions?

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Mishael, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Jan 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Mishael

Mishael [OP] Professional Novice

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Manual Black TRD Sport
    I bit off way too much to chew, and now I'm stuck. My truck has 31x10.5 R15s and it has no lift. I turn my wheel more than 1 full rotation (~30% turn) i rub. If i hit any bump, i rub. curbs are horrible, turns suck, my body is taking a beating (fender flares are going to solve the body blemishes) and i dont know what to do. I bought the coil spacer and AAL from Fat Bob's garage, and also the U-bolts from ToyTec and we ran into three problems when trying to install them.

1. The AAL was WAY too arched to even mildly look like it would fit, even when we had the truck up on the lift. It was obvious it would not work

2. The U-Bolts (which were specified for the 2004 5-lug) were rectangular, not actual u-bolts. Since the 04 5 lug is axle over leaf, it requires true U shaped bolts. Wouldnt work there either

3. I couldnt get my damn springs compressed. We bent a high quality compression tool (30 year old MAC tool, built when shit was really good) and we broke one stud holding my shock in place. We never even saw the top of the coil.

Ive driven 7000 miles on these tires already, i want to fix this. Im thinking a new leaf pack but what do i do for the front? Ride quality does not matter to me.

2. Jan 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    In coil spacer, top spacer? Either will work, you would have to disassemble the coil/strut for the in coil spacer. If you think it's out of your league you could take it to a garage and they will install them for you.

3. Jan 30, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    Mishael

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    yes top spacer. i took it to a retired mechanic friend, worked on it with his brother (who is my boss) and me, we couldnt get anything. We couldnt disassemble anything because the bushings for the support arms were mostly shot, so if we took them apart i would have to schell out big bucks to get them repacked. Is there a wedge type coil spacer i can do for the time being?

4. Jan 30, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    YotaKid62

YotaKid62 Dirty mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma TRD Sr5 5 speed
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    From what i've heard 5'lugs really aren't designed to be lifted, but I don't really know much about them other than the coil springs are alot smaller than a 6lug's, so that's probably your problem with getting them compressed. Sounds like the spacer is simply too big for them and your AAL is probably designed for 6 lug springs , which are probably different than yours. My guess would be that your suspension simply isn't set up to handle a lift.

Edit: let me rephrase, Your suspension simply isn't set up to handleTHAT lift. You probably have a kit designed for a 6 lug truck, which has a taller ride height, therefore making it impossible to install on a 5-lug truck.

5. Jan 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    Mishael

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    Everything that i bought was for a 5 Lug, 4 Cyl 2001-2004 tacoma. its not that the spacers wouldnt fit, i couldnt get the coil compressed enough to even fit my finger between the coil and the coil's seat

6. Jan 30, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Grey Wire Locker Mod, 3" coil spacers & custom leaf packs, 2" BL, Skyjacker rear nitro shocks, Monroe front gas shocks; 15" eclipse sub & 1400 watt visonik amp with Kenwood stereo, Billet Petals, Black Aries series Grille guard, ebay baja lights (unsure of brand)
    I'd say try a different coil compressor or go to a shop that has a hydraulic or electric one. The threaded ones with the tabs can be a pain in the ass.

7. Jan 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Don't typical spacers have a certain number of holes, and then a certain number of studs in the spacer?

-Should just have to remove the strut assembly. Then place the coil spacer on top the entire strut mount/assembly. There should be holes in the spacer to fit over the studs in the strut mount. Then use nuts that were attaching strut to truck and install them now where the same studs stick up through the spacer.

The spacer should then have studs on it. They should line up with the holes in the body of the truck. You should have been supplied the same number of new nuts as well. Place strut assembly with coil spacer on top back onto the truck.

[​IMG]

-Maybe you have an "in coil spacer" style? I dunno, I'm just assuming on this one. I know this pic has 2 styles of coil spacer lifts, which style are you trying to use?

-Reuse the Ubolts. Torque correctly and check it again after 250/500 miles.

-Again, dosen't a coil spacer sit ON TOP of the entire strut assembly?, if so, you do not need to disassemble your current struts, no need to compress the springs.

-If the AAL came with the "5 Lug" kit, then use it. Get the leafs apart and put the AAL in there and get it all back together. A couple big C clamps would work really well here.

8. Jan 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    like quaker said. if you got a top plate spacer it should go on TOP of the whole assembly. you shouldn't need a spring compressor.

as far as the aal goes, if you think about it, in order to get lift you need to have more arch in the leaf since the truck is spring under. I would try the leaf slowly put it down and if it sits fine then its all good. your kit is supposed to be for a 5 lug so it should work

EDIT: post up some pics of everything so we can see what you are working with

9. Jan 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    rot-roh!

i think you are biting off more than you can chew. top place spacer..you dont need a spring compressor..

AAL..yes, the archs are not gonna match..if they matched you would get no lift (except maybe the thickness of the bar)

tow truck or throw up the bat signal for help. where are you located?

10. Jan 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    The 1st gen 5 lugs require a coil compressor. It is very difficult to install. Are you sure you have the correct kit? Best of my knowledge only choices are fabtech 3 inch coil, v6 coil, daystar 1 inch poly spacer and downey 3 inch coils.

For the rear you can also use 2 inch lift shackles.

11. Jan 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    I bet they sent you a 2nd gen kit or 6 lug

12. Jan 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    YotaKid62

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    I'd first check your part numbers to make sure they sent you the right parts firstoff. Then im not sure. Can you evenn get the strut assembly out?

13. Jan 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Did you pull the leafs completely off of the truck? You're not gonna get them to fit while they are still attached to the truck.

14. Jan 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Joels98taco

Joels98taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joel
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    98 5 lug tacoma
    fabtech 3" spindles, icon aal, 10" bilstein 7100 rear shocks, daystar coil spacers, AFE Pro Dry-s drop in filter, sony head unit, 2 12" pioneer subs, pioneer 6.5s all around, custom 1.25 lift shackles, custom lower ball joint brackets fabbed by me
    what type of spring compressor did you use? theres 2 different types. one goes inside the other go outside. ive installed 2 sets of those spacers. both sides in a few hours using nothing but hand tools. make sure this is the spacer you have

IMG00296_186ae736a76ee23a93f4608dad71516ae86678aa.jpg

if they look different you have the wrong ones. easiest way is to disconnect the uca from the upper ball joint. pull the caliper hang it from the frame pull the spindle and use the external spring compressor from the local auto parts. disconnect the sway bar and loosen the lca and strut rod bolts. grab the jack and slightly jack up the lower arm get the spring compressors on tighten them snug and jack up a little more repeat till the coil look super short and drop the jack. the whole spring should come out. pop the spacer on the top and throw it back together. heres some pics of one install i did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope this helps you! also you can buy a set of fabtech 3" lift spindles and keep a factory like ride

15. Feb 8, 2013 at 5:56 AM
    fgcutaco

fgcutaco Fly rod in one hand, hockey stick in the other

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    '09 SWB, Access Cab, 5 Lug
    Stock... For now...
    :rofl:

16. Mar 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    cjwool15

cjwool15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Vehicle:
    2004 reg cab 5 lug
    How long did installing those spacers take?

17. Mar 12, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    Sperrunner

Sperrunner Respect the International Dibs Law

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 ford transit
    Wd40, zipties, duck tape, and my hopes and dreams
    Just buy spindles, those spacers will not give you the clearance needed. You will still rub a ton. i had 30x9.5 tires with just the spacer and it still rubbed bad. Solved it a little by using 2” wheel spacers to stop from rubbing on my frame. Taller bump stops on the lca to stop some of the up travel. But it would still rub quiet a bit especially if i had more then me in the truck. I also trimmed alot of the wheel liner and did the pinch weld mod. I got rid off almost all of the rubbing once installed my spindles which actually went faster for me then when i installed that spacer. For the rear just go with shakles its alot better and you get a smoother ride the leaf will stiffen your ride. The fat bob leaf will fit even if it looks to arched you just need to break it in while driving. I have shakles and a leaf in my truck but i was able to tun my tires with no issues with just the leaf installed.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  18. Mar 12, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    cjwool15

cjwool15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Vehicle:
    2004 reg cab 5 lug
    I don't want to use bigger tires

19. Mar 12, 2018 at 7:55 PM
    Sperrunner

Sperrunner Respect the International Dibs Law

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 ford transit
    Wd40, zipties, duck tape, and my hopes and dreams
    If you dont want larger then stock tires then yes the spcer is fine. Best way to do it is to unbolt the upper ball joint, strut rod and push down on the lca. This should have the spring almost fully decomposed which will make it alot easier to remove with a coil compressor. For the rear i would just leave stock. When i sad just the spacer and leaf my rear sat higher then the front.

20. Mar 12, 2018 at 8:06 PM
    GDT

GDT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 access base 2.7l 5spd
    It seems so silly to lift a five lug. All the headaches of a lift and a regear, just so you can end up with what is essentially an inferior, weaker, cobbled together version of a prerunner on stock tires. I just don't get it.

Products Discussed in

To Top