1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift with VSC answer.....

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TRDnAZ, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  2. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Others have said the same , and I have experienced it kicking back on after being " disabled " particularly in snow .

3. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Paging David K.....

4. Dec 13, 2011 at 3:24 AM
    CCFBERG

CCFBERG The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Kenwood 516 DD head unit, Kenwood 12" sub, Kenwood 1800W amp, Brighter reverse light mod, 2nd Air filter ripped out, Tailgate anti-theft. Fog light anytime. Rearview mirror display in HU mod. JBA shorty headers & Catback. K&N Filter. Smittybilt Nerf Steps. Smittybilt M1 Grille. Pro Comp stage II, 6" Lift. 12V Bed PWR. LED interior lighting
    Ok Peoples....Have a 2010 DBL cab Lifted 6"(Pro Comp stg 2 w/VSC) on 33"s and no sway bar. I installed the lift myself. There were no issues with the VSC prior to me messing with the alignment to get it to track down the road a bit straiten until I could get it on an alignment rack. Everything worked great. However, when I did my shade tree, backwoods, eyeball driveway alignment...my steering wheel was off let’s say 3-4" left but the truck travelled rather strait down the autobahn even at 80mph. But....right at exactly 30mph the VSC light would illuminate and stay on. I’ve been driving this way for about 5000 miles. Annoyed at that light!!!

Because my problems started only when I messed with the alignment and made the steering wheel off a bit....I figured that there must be a position sensor on the steering shaft somewhere.....I called the shop and spoke to the alignment tech. My thought was confirmed by him that the sensor reads in % off center and is located in the steering column.

Took my truck in today for the alignment and with that it includes a VSC recal.

The alignment is correct and steering wheel is centered, VSC light is off and VSC works as advertised. I’m a very happy kid!!

I used to read through this thread a lot…haven’t read much lately. Maybe someone has already posted this but here is a success case. And from what I understand is very important….the steering wheel must be centered and not off by even a little bit or it will play games with the VSC system. This is also tied in with the VSC recal.

Good luck to ya all.

Shawn

Fredfifty likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    OutbackHack

OutbackHack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Heavy
    Just had success with this method. My VSC warning light has been coming on frequently this winter, and 2 trips to the dealership didn't fix it (but I got a new free battery out of the second visit in their attempt to find the cause). Then 2 weeks ago I put on 265/70/17 tires and the light became a constant problem. Did the jumper wire method and the light seems to be off for good (or at least for the entire test drive this afternoon)

Step 4(c) didn't seem to work on my truck however, the light never blinked it just glowed steady till I cycled the ignition key from off to on again, at which point the light was off completely. Everything in step 5 seemed to go according to the instructions however. So hopefully everything is calibrated correctly now.

6. Jan 14, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Installed my lift, light was on, got an alignment, light went off & have no issues. Lift has been on for 2 weeks.

7. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Desert Rat

Desert Rat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monterey, California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road Double Cab
    3" OME lift, Avid lightbar and sliders, PIAA 525s, custom Baja Rack, SnugTop with Windoors, PopnLock tailgate, power moonroof, ARB awning, Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH, Alpine amp, Pioneers speakers, custom subwoofer.
    Very concerned about this issue, as I'll be lifting my 2012 when it arrives with an Icon Stage 2 or 3. Any additional comments/reports appreciated.

8. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Most folks don't have a problem.

If you do, try getting a knowledgable dealer tech on it, there are a couple good threads.

If that doesn't do it you'll have to choose between removing the lift or rendering the VSC inoperable.

Basically, if you don't have the time and inclination to tinker and troubleshoot your truck, the wisest course is to leave it stock.

Rubbing, vibrations, VSC, unexplained clanking; these are all sometimes lift induced probs that folks bring to TW.

TW is here to help as a resource, but ultimately you have to take the lead in finding and solving any problems that crop up.

9. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i noticed my VCS was worse when my truck was level. when i have rake meaning the rear is higher my vsc issues went away.

i think this is because the yaw sensor is installed at an angle. when lifting just the front the angle goes away and the sensor is more "touchy"

im lifted 2.5" up front and 2.5" in the rear and had no issues with the VSC

I got this info from a tundra website where people wher shimming an angle back into the yaw sensor under the seat. i have no idea where the sensor is located on the taco.

10. Jan 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    Desert Rat

Member:
    Monterey, California
    Vehicle:
    3" OME lift, Avid lightbar and sliders, PIAA 525s, custom Baja Rack, SnugTop with Windoors, PopnLock tailgate, power moonroof, ARB awning, Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH, Alpine amp, Pioneers speakers, custom subwoofer.
    I've been talking with a master tech at my dealership...he's knowledgeable, really helpful and *he has the VSC issue* with a 3" lift on *his* 2011. He thinks it may have something to do with rims that do not match the offset of factory wheels. He says Toyota is aware of the issue but has no solution...and the dealership has stopped lifting Tacomas because of it (they were outsourcing the lifts). He's done the alignment, zeroed everything out, made sure the steering column was straight, all of it. Still has the issue.

The owner of the shop that will be doing my lift is aware of the problems as well and is trying to find out more. I'm really stunned and stumped by the whole thing (this is not my area of expertise AT ALL).

I want a 1"-3" lift for additional clearance for serious offroading (not rock crawling)...see my signature pic below. I'm willing to spend the money to do it right (ICON), but the whole thing seems really sketchy. I can't have the VSC locking everything up and flipping out when I have a 500' drop on one side and I'm on an extreme grade.

Very frustrated by the lack of any clear, SAFE, RELIABLE option.

11. Jan 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You can turn it off , or disable it with one of Crom's ABS/VSC bypass switches

12. Jan 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    or simply unplug a wheel sensor

edit: you wont have to worry about the vsc messing you up going slow. hopefully you wont be doing 30+ around 500' cliffs.

with the icons set at 2.5 and the icon rear 3 leaf add a pack, youll be fine

13. Jan 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mine is sensitive at 2 1/2 front and back

14. Jan 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM
    Desert Rat

Member:
    Monterey, California
    Vehicle:
    Oh...and before I found out about all the VSC problems I called ICON just to get more general info. They said I'll need to have the shocks rebuilt every couple years...WTF?!

I put maybe 7000 miles a year on my truck...most of which are on the Interstate driving to remote wilderness areas in Utah to go wheeling. Are you guys rebuilding your shocks that often? That's crazy!

To review what I've learned about lifts (for actual off road use, not Tonka Toy good looks) lurking these forums for a few weeks:

Body lifts are UNSAFE
    Spacer lifts are a poor choice (cosmetic, not functional) and cause damage
    Bilstein 5100s have a crappy (stiff) ride on asphalt
    Coilovers + AAL are best (but need to be rebuilt often?!)
    All these often cause VSC problems (2009 or later)

Is there ANY WAY to lift a 2012 Tacoma TRD Off Road double cab *safely* that does not require a HACK of the factory nanny systems? Want to stick with 265(285)/70R16(17) rims/tires. Plan to own the vehicle 20 years or more...need RELIABILITY above everything.

Will 285/70R17 aftermarket wheels/tires fit the factory TRD suspension? That gives me maybe an inch, right? If I had to forgo the lift, at least that's something. I'm willing to spend $$$$ *if* it works. I don't want VSC freaking out or coilovers failing 40 miles from asphalt.

Suggestions?

15. Jan 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    Desert Rat

Member:
    Monterey, California
    Vehicle:
    The VSC kill switch doesn't fully disable...but no, I won't be going 30+ near cliffs LOL. But I don't want the thing activating on freeway offramps, either. The master tech I've been talking with has been living with it and knows where NOT to push the vehicle hard (off camber sweepers).

It just seems so lame that Toyota did this. It has already taken me THREE YEARS to get up the nerve to sell my trusty, reliable '93 4Runner (figure my good luck with the gutless wonder can't last).

16. Jan 15, 2012 at 11:25 PM
    Desert Rat

Member:
    Monterey, California
    Vehicle:
    My understanding to date of the best possible solution if I want to lift moderately:

Icon coilovers set at 2.5 on the front with the Icon rear AAL (Stage 3 kit) and new UCAs
    Icon's recommended 265/70R16 with 5" backspacing
    Truck leveled same as factory (slight rake)
    Zero point recalibration
    Proper alignment
    Steering column perfectly straight

And if all that doesn't work, yank it out and return to stock (or hack it with a bypass)? And if it does, I'm rebuilding the shocks every couple years?

*sigh*

Cannot believe it is this hard to take a Tacoma on a dirt road...

17. Jan 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    lmao, your just a worry wart... no offense but it is the easiest truck out there to take offroad.

I do alot of expo stuff in my truck and I can tell you that Toyotas are the best expo rigs on the market.

What model do you plan on getting? I have a base model with 265/75R16s stock 16" wheels running 2.5" lift 5100s set at 0 with OME 885 coils with a 3" AAL in the rear. Stock UCAs Great ride IMO for what i do. My VSC was not super touchy but would go off occasionally. More so when my truck was level, a lot more actually. But it was tolerable and most times seamless it's just an annoying beeping. I used to drive my truck like a race car driver up and down the mountains here and the worst thing was one time it beeped and grabbed the brakes and it was an oh shit moment but I really should have been going slower anyway.

A lot of guys here are running 09+ trucks with 3" lift and no issues.

theres a bunch of us without too many issues.

postAAL_c2fa1dd9f537442930567dd39a39d3b7a20b6440.jpg

18. Jan 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    It's not that big of a deal , really

19. Jan 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    Desert Rat

Member:
    Monterey, California
    Vehicle:
    And what about rebuilding your shocks every couple years like Icon says is typical...are you guys doing that?

20. Jan 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    its not hard to do, but most only rebuild when they start leaking. Keep the stock shocks for when rebuild time comes. Sunny at downsouth motorsports rebuilds for a fair price.

most companies suggest new shocks every 40k miles. Ive seen trucks with 150k with original shocks...

Products Discussed in

To Top