1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light bar wiring help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dogs, May 3, 2018.

1. May 3, 2018 at 7:38 AM
    Dogs

Dogs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma TRD SR5
    So I'm wiring up a new light bar I got, and one of my grievances with it is the switch. I hate flicking it on and off if I'm driving on road with it on and theres a car coming. I know they're illegal on road but I live in a rural community and I use it when I'm not on the main highway so I can see any deer in the road. I would like to wire it into my brights switch. So that when the switch for the light bar is on, and I switch my bright on, then the light bar will also come on. But if the switch is off and I switch my brights on, then only the bright come on. Is this possible? And if so, does anyone have any recommendations on how to do it?

2. May 3, 2018 at 8:33 AM
    Sperrunner

Sperrunner Respect the International Dibs Law

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford F250
    Wd40, zipties, duck tape, and my hopes and dreams
    I think that switch won’t be able to handle the amps, if you mount light bars at the same level or lower then your head lights and as long as there isn’t more then 4 lights on in the front you xan legally drive with them on and call it fog lights. Atleast that is what i read in the vehicle law book for lights here in California

https://law.justia.com/codes/california/2010/veh/24400-24411.html

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  3. May 3, 2018 at 12:40 PM
    MikeWH

MikeWH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colfax, CA
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD 4x4 (x2)
    I did this, you need to switch it through a relay. Then drive the relay with a 3 position switch (Double throw, center off). On the switch, Common drives the relay coil, and one switched terminal goes to +12V constant, the other to the high-beam lead which can be tapped under the dash. Can't recall what color it is but study the wiring diagrams in the FSM to find it. You should also tap the 12V constant form the same circuit which will be in the same bundle of wires. I put the relay near the battery, and of course fused the tap going to it. Let me know if you need more info.
    When you are done, it's an awesome setup. I almost always leave mine on the high-beam position.

Russianman92, Wyoming09 and Dalandser like this.
  4. May 3, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Yep, simple relay. Switch powers the relay, the high beams is the trigger. Except for the switch wiring, everything can be done under the hood.

Gunshot-6A and Dalandser like this.
  5. May 4, 2018 at 2:35 PM
    Dogs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma TRD SR5
    Awesome! is the 3 position switch mandatory for this? or can i just use the same on/off switch I'm using now?

6. May 4, 2018 at 4:02 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    On/off is all you need. But you could use a a dpdt and be able to bypass the Hugh beams.

7. May 5, 2018 at 12:39 AM
    MikeWH

MikeWH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colfax, CA
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD 4x4 (x2)
    You can use a single throw (on/off) switch but then you would just have off - and - on if the high beams are on. No “on no matter what” position.

Truthfully I almost never use the “on no matter what” position on mine!

8. May 5, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    Dogs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma TRD SR5
    Thanks for all the help guys!

9. May 5, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    One thing that no one has mentioned is the fact that most earlier model Toyota headlights are ground switched. The only exception to this with 1st gen Tacomas is if you have daytime running lights. You will not find a 12v+ trigger when the high beams are on and you will need to wire your relay differently than you would normally think.

The headlights work by grounding either the low beam or high beam filament. Therefore, both hi and lo have 12v once you turn the headlights on.

Here is one way to wire it. Your ground trigger source is the ground wire for the high beams. You can also put a switch in-line to this to disable the light bar whenever you want. If you wired it like a few people have mentioned above (unless they have DRL), then you will be back feeding power into the other headlight filament and lighting both filaments at the same time.
    [​IMG]

Dalandser and Wyoming09 like this.
  10. May 6, 2018 at 1:21 AM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    I imagine the only way to wire the relay is to splice high beam wires at the headlight bulb. So the relay would be triggered only when high beam is on. For independent light I imagine three way rocker with two sets of contacts like described above by MikeWH.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  11. May 8, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    Here is the mock-up diagram based on 2001 but headlight connection did not change since 95.

Tacoma-Led-Bar.jpg

When connected as shown 3-way switch works as follow: at the switch position as shown the LED bar is turned on independently. At the center position the LED bar is turned off. At the last position Let Bar will turn on when high beam is on (also in the "flash" mode). The only splice to the existing circuit is at either headlight connector (you can use H4 extension and splice it if you don't want to cut factory wires).

This is exactly how I wanted to wire my LED bar in my Bismarck, but I wanted to use "factory looking" switches, so I will have to go a different route. But when I finally figure out how to put a LED bar in my Tacoma, this will be the diagram I'll use.

12. May 8, 2018 at 9:29 AM
    Russianman92

Russianman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dunwoody GA
    Vehicle:
    1995 White Tacoma 3RZ 4x4 5 speed
    bilstein shocks/struts Add-a-leaf Mostly stock. Running 31x10.5 r15

Yup. Just like this would be perfect. Just add the switch Here to disable the light bar if you need to:

71fVqwuVRHL._SX522_.jpg

13. May 8, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    It would be better to put the switch between the 86 terminal and power, or 85 terminal and high beam wire (ground trigger source). This way you won't be running your full load through the switch. In that diagram 86 and 30 are connected together, but they don't need to be. Your 86 power source can be any 12V circuit. 30 needs to go to the battery.

14. May 8, 2018 at 9:50 AM
    Russianman92

Russianman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dunwoody GA
    Vehicle:
    1995 White Tacoma 3RZ 4x4 5 speed
    bilstein shocks/struts Add-a-leaf Mostly stock. Running 31x10.5 r15
    Yup that would work too, but I personally would use a high amp switch in line with the circuit after the fuse so I knew I turned off power to the circuit completely. I've seen solenoids/relays fuse in the on position.

User preference

15. May 8, 2018 at 2:20 PM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Vehicle:
    Looking at the headlight diagram this will not work if you want to use high beam stalk as a "ground trigger source". At low beam position with headlights off the current will flow from the relay 85 via headlight bulbs (both filaments) to ground via low beam stalk (which will be closed). The resistance of headlight bulb is negligent for the relay.

Products Discussed in

To Top