1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light bars and lights

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Fredy212, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Feb 18, 2022 at 6:26 AM
    Fredy212

Fredy212 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Vehicle:
    2018 silver Tacoma trd off-road
    So I am Looking into getting a roof rack light bar, pod lights and in the future a front bumper light bar. I have diode dynamic pro fog lights right now and have been debating on getting full diode dynamics or Baja designs instead. Just trying to see which lights will match better since I already have diode dynamic fog lights and also what will perform better(I keep hearing Baja is). I guess it’s not a big deal if they match with the fog lights since the rest of the lights will match. Just trying to get some opinions on what to get for the rest of my lights. The dd fog lights are more yellow than amber so I maybe just upgrade to the max for the more amber look. I heard the Dd max is more of an amber compared to the pros.

Also what colored lights are you guys running in specific areas, not to sure where I want amber and where I want white.

Baja Designs likes this.
  2. Feb 18, 2022 at 7:04 AM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Yellow = snow, fog, rain, dust
    White = clear conditions

Most people I see with that many lights do it for the instagram. You just really dont need that much light unless your burning through the desert at 100 mph. A set of ditch lights combined with your headlights/foglights are good in 99% of situations.

So use each location for its strength, fog lights are designed for fog/rain, so put yellow there. Ditch lights are for seeing the areas to the left and right of you but being at hood level they will be terrible in bad weather so go white there.

Rock Lobster, iblis01, CraigF and 5 others like this.
  3. Feb 18, 2022 at 10:22 AM
    weeksz

weeksz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Limited
    Stickers mostly
    Yeah a light bar isn't going to help in any foul weather conditions, only make it worse. I live in Northern Michigan and my commute mainly consists of winding wooded road with a 55mph speed limit. The treeline is sometimes only 20-30ft off the shoulder and the deer are prevalent. I hit two in one year on the same road a couple years ago and ultimately put an ARB bumper on my old second gen. So being able to see some distance in front of me makes me feel a lot better about driving at night.

I have the DD 30" flush mount kit on my truck and its without a doubt better than the stock high beams and it requires little to no modification to mount (no roof rack needed). I have the white spot with amber flood combo, the white really helps make the deer's eye's pop at night. The amber is easier on the eyes as a driver and I like the look, too.

I had an 18" DD light bar on my 2nd gen mounted on the bumper with all amber and, while it was bright, I do prefer the white light for a spot beam. Its nice that DD offers different lens options for like $5 on their light bars so you can make changes if its something you find you don't like.

4. Feb 18, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    Dtard

Dtard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Been doing a lot of research on light bars. Even asked a few shops local to me what they think. The one shop said they ran Baja designs on their race truck and they performed really well going through the desert at night with all the dust and such. They also told me amber is the best color for visibility in dust and snow.

On my own research, I’ve found the DD lights to be great for the money. I’m understanding that the max are more amber than yellow, vs the pros. Haven’t personally tried them out yet, so I can’t speak on them. Maybe you can get a hold of the guys at Rogue Offroad. They were really helpful when I went in there and asked a bunch of questions!

kbenn likes this.
  5. Feb 18, 2022 at 10:44 AM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    I’ve got 2 rigid SR30 behind the grill - one white and one amber. The amber one is nice for rain/snow/dust and the white one for all other times

Those both get far less use than my ditch lights (white dually SS pro) and fog lights (rigid sae)

no matter what you do, consider how you are doing the wiring. Sure you can connect everything to the battery and run buttons but the first time you forget to turn one off you’ll come back to a dead battery. I’ve all mine ignition switched from a switch pro.

6. Feb 18, 2022 at 3:14 PM
    Fredy212

Fredy212 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Vehicle:
    I wish I would’ve know that the max were more amber compared to the pros, I probably would’ve ended up getting the max over the pros. I love my pro but a little bit of amber would’ve been great.

Dtard[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 18, 2022 at 7:14 PM
    Hockey71

Hockey71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Hockeytown, Detroit, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    I run a roof rack light bar with 360 degree lighting on all four sides, more in the front, with a few amber pods on the front ends of the bar. Would recommend, good addition for more storage if you need and for lighting/looks.

8. Feb 18, 2022 at 10:15 PM
    CO_Taco125

CO_Taco125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB
    Blackhawk Tune, Falken Wildpeaks, Falcon Suspension, KMC XD, KC flexpods, KC Pro6 bar, Kicker speakers, Sound Ordnance sub, MTX amp, interior vinyl wrap
    If you check out my profile, you'll see my light setup. KC Hilites Flex pods for ditch lights, Pro 6 light bar up top.

The Flex pods are good, but I would probably go with something else for ditch lights. They're bright but too much of a spot light for that position, even with the flood version.

The Pro 6 is super bright and would definitely recommend if you have the coin to spend. It looks way better than a plain rectangular bar IMO. The down side with a roof bar, like the guys before said, is inclement weather. It makes it worse in a lot of situations. Another thing to think about it hood glare. I put a vinyl decal on my hood to reduce the glare, which helped a lot. It also looks pretty sweet :thumbsup:

In general I would highly recommend KC Hilites for any of your lighting needs. One of my flex pods stop working after a few months due to moisture getting inside. I emailed customer service and they sent a whole new light out the next day, no questions asked. They had me send the broken one back to them and provided a return label. Other companies may have great customer service as well, but I can only speak for my experience with KC and I was very happy with it. Other than that light malfunctioning, they've been awesome.

Citizen Rob likes this.
  9. Feb 18, 2022 at 11:47 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    Lockers before light bars.

10. Feb 19, 2022 at 7:50 PM
    Fredy212

Fredy212 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Vehicle:
    Haven’t looked into lockers yet, don’t know what they do either.

11. Feb 19, 2022 at 8:19 PM
    bootboiler

bootboiler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    Camberg UCA's, locking tailgate, hid driving lights, B 5100's, OME HD Leafs, bud built plates, Relentless rear bumper, sliders with kick, breathers on pumpkins, satochi grill, bed lights, JVC 730BT Head Unit, Finch Four Wheel Camper FWC, 1Up bike rack, 265/75 16 tires
    I have a light bar that I bought rather than a heavy front bumper. It took a dear at 30 the other day, and if its head hadn't hit my headlight, I would have had no damage. Bumper is fine, just broke some tabs on the passenger headlight. I think a light bar can be more than a light bar.

00N0N_k8Og3SfPh1lz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

12. Feb 19, 2022 at 8:57 PM
    picturethis

picturethis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Issaquah, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2001 and 2016 Silver Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    BAMF Grille CBI Sliders Victory4x4 roof rack Cali Raised fog lights FNFX wheels Falken Wildpeaks tires
    I have a cali raised light bar up top, white light, works great on a dark night without rain, a bit reflective off the hood, but not bad!! Both ditch lights and fogs are diode dynamic, in amber, they are awesome!! Eventually when a get a new bumper, white light bar goes in there!!

468FB31F-D9A8-40F6-9695-F31D1DB4E21A.jpg

memario1214 likes this.
  13. Feb 20, 2022 at 10:15 AM
    Peter the Red

Peter the Red Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Running Baja Linkables on the roof and Ridged D-XLs as ditch lights. They're all white but I have amber lens covers so I can switch between the two.

IMG_20220116_114622_671.jpg
    20210823_164431.jpg

Baja Designs and picturethis like this.
  14. Nov 20, 2022 at 8:47 PM
    cjc208

cjc208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR Access Cab 2.7l 5speed 4WD
    265/75/16 goodyear duratrac, 16" sr5 anthracite wheels CBI Baja Front bumper / skid plate
    I'm in a similar boat - I have a cbi baja bumper and am looking to fill the fog and light bar slots this winter but am unsure on where to do amber vs white. Feeling like amber makes sense on the fog lights, and maybe white on the light bar? What's the consensus here on light color for those locations? Also would love to hear any suggestions on 20" light bar options. Considering this one https://www.hereticstudio.com/colle...ch-amber-led-light-bar?variant=41664042762459

15. Nov 21, 2022 at 6:47 AM
    EFG

EFG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
    factory lift kit, Stinger Off Road Stereo, Customized leather interior, Backflip X4S Tonneau,
    Thai set up looks awesome but is it as effective as white ditch lights up top
    I have the yellow DD sports low and love them but thought yellow on top might be too much yellow.
    And the white on the hood would reach out further and aid my halogen headlights (leds weren’t available when I ordered my 2022

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  16. Nov 21, 2022 at 9:02 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    I'm not a fan of huge lightbars, and roof mounted means you are getting a ton of glare off the hood ruining your vision.

I went with BD Squadrons, Sport with yellow combo in the fog pockets, and pro spot with yellow covers on the ditch lights.
    Both are wired through the highbeams as driving lights, they throw far, cover both ditches, and still go unnoticed by most people.

[​IMG]

2Nice and Baja Designs like this.
  17. Nov 21, 2022 at 9:10 AM
    Off Topic Guy

Off Topic Guy 2023 Trophy Points - Runner Up

Member:
    I'd say invest in the fog light flavor of your choice; anything else, will very likely never get used, and if it did, you'd know exactly what you wanted. They do look cool though :thumbsup:

SenorTito likes this.
  18. Nov 21, 2022 at 9:30 AM
    Martian__

Martian__ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    I’ve gone through a couple options. Originally ran KC hid pro sports x4 on the prinsu. The hood glare was unbearable and the dust glare in the windshield was also a pain. Even minor dust from off-roading. Switched to a 40inch Baja designs s8 in dual color. I loved the slim profile but still had the same hood glare problem. At this point I noticed the yellow was a lot easier on the eyes at night. Then I switched over to the 30 inch onx6 behind the lower grille and it’s the best of all worlds, the output is amazing and no hood glare. Always behind the grille so no huge theft issue, no wind noise, no roof rack wiring running up there, all the light is infront if the vehicle where it’s needed. Also tuning two Baja designs LP9’s behind the 4Runner grille and love the mounting location.6A7CC999-FE36-4E13-8C57-A0E22B3355C7.jpgC190C4A5-C4AC-4DD7-8CC1-1BF4AF66F31E.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  19. Nov 21, 2022 at 3:14 PM
    picturethis

picturethis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Issaquah, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2001 and 2016 Silver Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    BAMF Grille CBI Sliders Victory4x4 roof rack Cali Raised fog lights FNFX wheels Falken Wildpeaks tires
    Thanks! My top 42" bar is white, and eventually when I get a bumper, that will also be white, enough yellow for me, lol....

20. Nov 21, 2022 at 3:58 PM
    SenorTito

SenorTito Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCSB MT | 1992 80 Series Land Cruiser
    RRW RR7-H, 285/70/17 General Grabber ATX, King 2.5s, Prinsu Roof Rack
    I’ve got BD Amber fogs, they’re great for saturating snow and especially during whiteout/ low visibility conditions. They work pretty great, the picture doesn’t do them justice. They might be a bit overkill but it only takes one blizzard to make them worth the money.
    96EA4C3A-302C-4E4A-89D3-11D73E766549.jpg

vicali likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top