1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light behind Grill?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by eztrucken, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Mar 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    eztrucken

eztrucken [OP] Member

Member:
    Knoxville Tn
    Vehicle:
    06 base blue with some extras
    K&N intake,throttle body spacer, doug thorley headers and y pipe, borla cat back exhaust
    How to mount black magic hellas behind my grill. I have them on my bull bar but they are to big.

2. Mar 27, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    jward2331

jward2331 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged, tinted windows, upper/lower Grillcraft (horns relocated), Hella 500's with HID Mod (55W 5000) behind grill, shorty antenna, WeatherTech side window deflectors, suspension TSB, Westin Signature Nerf bars, JVC KD A-615 Head Unit with Sirius Direct tuner, Blacked out headlights, DTDL Mod (Switch for on/off), Hard Wired GPS, NOKYA Arctic Hyper Yellow Fog lights, Fog lights on anytime Mod, Michelin LTX M/S2 (P265/65R17), Powder coated OEM wheels. LED ANZO tail lights, Weather Tech FloorLiners.
    I've got the Grill Craft front grill and wanted to take the "lights behind grill" to the next level and bought the Hella Black Magic lights. When I got them I realized they were too big for my liking. I felt they blocked more of the radiator (live in Florida) than I cared for. I sold them to someone on TW and bought the 500's. They are more compact and since I really don't off road, the 500's would suit my needs. I wired them last week and hope to mount the lights soon if the weather cooperates this weekend.

3. Mar 27, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    I have the 500s as well. I havent had any single issue with them blocking the radiator as far as the temp goes. I dont see why the others would effect the radiator any different, even if they were a little bigger. I have pics in my profile as far as how I mounted them. The one thing that you dont see, that I had to go back and fix, was a reinforcement for the lights, as they bounced very badly.
    I went to Lowes and got a 3/4" wide flat aluminum bar and put it between the lights and the grill shround and then cut smaller bars and mounted them on the top side too. This basically acts as giant washers. I couldnt be happier.

4. Mar 27, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    jward2331

jward2331 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged, tinted windows, upper/lower Grillcraft (horns relocated), Hella 500's with HID Mod (55W 5000) behind grill, shorty antenna, WeatherTech side window deflectors, suspension TSB, Westin Signature Nerf bars, JVC KD A-615 Head Unit with Sirius Direct tuner, Blacked out headlights, DTDL Mod (Switch for on/off), Hard Wired GPS, NOKYA Arctic Hyper Yellow Fog lights, Fog lights on anytime Mod, Michelin LTX M/S2 (P265/65R17), Powder coated OEM wheels. LED ANZO tail lights, Weather Tech FloorLiners.
    I guess my main issue was that the Black Magic lights would have rubbed on the bottom flange they were so big. I may have been anal about it but the 500's were actually a better fit in my mind.
    Hope to get mine in this weekend.

Products Discussed in

To Top