1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light Bulb Replacement shift console

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by twfsa, Oct 18, 2010.

1. twfsa

twfsa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    How does the shift console come apart so to change the light bulb, that lights up and tells you what gear your in at night, mine flickers at night, something loose or needs a new bulb.

2. Fuzzyman81

Fuzzyman81 The New Guy

Member:
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    They are 4 screws that hold the plastic casing on (2 at the front - 2 towards the cupholders before the console) - Take those out - gently lift the back portion of the plastic housing up (make sure nothing is plugged into your Cig lighters) and forward then lift it up. should come out pretty easily.

3. twfsa

twfsa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Thanks got it apart pulled out the old bulb when I inserted the new bulb it did not want to stay in the socket so I had to use a little hot glue to hold it in. Nothing is easy it always turns into a shit storm.

4. Rotobo

Rotobo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Northern Ky.
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
    I replaced my bulb today and I found if you use a 74 bulb it will pop right back out and if it pops out inside the unit you will have a time getting it out. Autozone, Oriellys and Advance never actually gave a part number for this bulb because there was no listing for the console shifter bulb. The 74 looked right but it wasn't. After the 74 attempt I tried Advance and one of the gals (yes,gal) at Advance did a search and helped me find the right bulb. The Advance number is 2721LL and they are two for 5.34,,, and it stayed in. The orange condom slid right back on and works fine and I had been told you had to buy a new condom but I was able to remove it and put it back on the new bulb. If it hadn't worked I was for leaving it off as all it does is tint the bulb orange. If someone made blue ones they would sell good.
    I bet your bulb that popped out was a 74.
    I also had to remove the cup holder to the rear of the console which was easy, no screws, you slide it to the rear and it pops off and this gives you plenty of room to remove the cover.
    Now if I had a tutor and video and a schematic for replacing one of my tach bulbs I'd consider replacing it. I don't use the tach so I'm not to uptight over it but with the heater control lights going off and on for the last five years I expect one of them to stay off one of these days and they bug me when off so I'll be back one of these days checking for info on replacing them. Blown bulbs are fairyl common according to internet blogs.

5. SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Matte Black custom paint
    sub, mine is out too.

6. UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    Drive a manual, you won't have that problem.

:rolleyes:

To Top