1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

light laws in Alberta?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ghost848, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Dec 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    I got pulled over last week because my headlights were to bright...:D but was told to change them. I find this tobe a perfect oppotunity as any to get some retros. Now along my journy I found some colored lenses for the projectors. Like a deep red or purple... Thought this would look kinda cool. But does that fly with the alberta laws... to have colored headlights?:rolleyes:

2. Jan 1, 2013 at 2:54 AM
    Ghost848

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
  3. Jan 1, 2013 at 3:06 AM
    evanwile

evanwile Canadian Pomp

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 6M
    The only vehicles allowed to have forward facing red lights are emergency vehicles, its in the Motor Vehicle Act, varies province to province, check your local act to clarify on the colored headlights, its all available online.

Cheers

4. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Pretty sure when I looked it up when I lived in Alberta, it specified that only emergency vehicles were allowed to have red/blue lights, and red/white/blue strobe lights. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

5. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

So what do YOU think, are they too bright ? Of course you don't, your not the poor fool who has to put up with that bright annoying bullshit & now you want colored lights ?...:facepalm:

I saw a vehicle recently that had purple HID's.. talk about looking like shit !! uggghhh !!!

If you have to change the color , go with black

& no, its not an old peoples thing

6. Jan 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    Ghost848

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    now this is the differnce, you have the 2 groups of hid. you get the types that get just an hid bulb and balest and through it in the stock headlight.... thus blinding everyone because the light isnt directed, just reflected of the mirror cone/angles off the reflector. vs the type with a projector that has a cut off and directs the light in one direction, thus not blinding everyone. Yes they are bright, but that is why I bought them. Dont forget the guys with HID headlight dont magicly gain immunity to other bright ass HID from other trucks/cars. I still get blinded day to day. Now as for the color Im not going to go that route just because I want to be within legal limits. the color I was talking about the color the HID projector red and its a red headlight vs white... cool but not legal.

Not to mention up here in alberta with all the oil feilds, everyone and there dog has a jacked up f350 or dodge 3500 with non diredted HIDs so the blinding is a common thing here.

Thx ryan

7. Jan 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Legal , quasi-legal or not , they are definitely gonna draw attention from teh Mounties

8. Jan 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    Ghost848

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    lol no matter what I do my truck is gonna be hard to miss.... I have to get new pics here soon.....

9. Jan 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Hard to miss and blindingly annoying are 2 different things but that's your choice

10. Jan 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    Ghost848

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    I have had tem in for almost a year, that was the first time i got pulled over, my lights are 10000K and the 6000K are brighter due to the white light. mine are just blue

11. Jan 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    b0ules

b0ules Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue 06 TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XL Topper OME 885X/Nitrocharger Sport Front Dakar Leafs/Nitrocharger Sport Rear
    In Ontario, the Highway Traffic Act states that unless you're an emergency services or snow removal vehicle, you can't have anything but solid white and/or amber forward facing, and red rear facing when you're rolling down the road. Can't find it quickly, but there's got to be an exception in there for intermittent amber or red as signal/hazard lights. Emergency vehicles get the flashing red/white/blue exemption, firefighters and medical responders also get flashing green permission. And flashing blue for snow clearing.

And only a maximum of 4 illuminated white beams on the front, i.e. headlights and fogs - a guy I know who has a BRP Spyder got pulled over for that one because of 6 white lights forward facing - 2 headlights, 2 fogs and he'd replaced the outboard amber markers on the front fenders with white bulbs...

12. Jan 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    Ghost848

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    Yup same as here... when I say blue they are a off white blue not a police strobe blue. But my question has been answerd thx guys

13. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Silver streak!
    Throw up some pics when you get the new lights.

14. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    Ghost848

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    Lol... Gotta do the diff first i think.... Its gettin bad.

15. Jan 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    After market locker as well?

16. Jan 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    shorti

shorti Well-Known Member

Member:
    Please don't be one of those people.
    Do a real retro, it's not that hard and the light actually its the road.

edit: i accidentally a word

17. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    Ghost848

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    Its on the list, im not that happy with my halo prjectors but first diff lol yes aftermarket. Check out my other thread "ifs front locker"

Products Discussed in

To Top