1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light-Moderate off-road with Prerunner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kwikvette, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Mar 13, 2019 at 7:00 AM
    tacom08

tacom08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 2WD Rugged Trail Edition
    Flowmaster Super 10, K&N CAI, bumpers, LED taillights
    True, but I have recently been in a situation that I could have easily unstuck myself if I had 4 wheel.

2. Mar 13, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    Gyrkin

Gyrkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma TRD v6 5-speed
    This

And this. Don't get a crappy little folding shovel either. A full size spade with a real, full size handle is what you want.

Something like this:
    shovels.jpg

Or this:
    eaf29a3c-63d2-49a1-b4f2-52622c13f191_1000.jpg

But not one of these. Yes it would take up less space, but when you need to use it, someting with more of a handle will be a lot more useful.
    highlander_double_folding_shovel_ALL_1.jpg

3. Mar 13, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette [OP] Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Thanks for all the links guys! That thread regarding going out alone applies to backpacking as well; I'll leave for up to a week or two at a time sometimes to do a section hike. And I know all too well to try out gear before taking it to the wild.

My rear bumper just arrived from Trail-Gear (bought one since my rear was pretty banged up).

I should've ordered a front bumper at the same time, oh well. In the meantime I will see what the easiest alternator swap will be as I don't have much 'free time' for anything.

If I bought a shovel and maxtrax boards, I'm wondering if I should modify the rear seat portion to remove the seats and hold said tools.

4. Mar 13, 2019 at 10:12 AM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    Go have fun and get it stuck a few times with a buddy. You'll learn what you can and can't do pretty quickly. I kept a hand winch from home depot, some straps, and a shovel in my toolbox until someone stole them. That's all I ever really needed to get unstuck. Really the best advice is to keep your momentum up, learn to pick the best path, and get really good at knowing where your wheels are so you don't get stuck.

I want to do the 4x4 swap too. I keep seeing donor vehicles come up here in AZ, but I have no where to store it (apartment living :( ) and storage units require that the vehicle be in running condition.:rolleyes:

5. Mar 15, 2019 at 12:15 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette [OP] Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Decided on Trail Gear's low profile bumper though I'm not exactly sure what winch I should get?

I've read a lot about Warn winches, but seeing as how this is something that may not be used at all, I've set a $500 budget. For that reason I'm looking at Smittybilt - http://www.smittybiltdepot.com/Smittybilt-Winches-and-Winch-Accessories/Smittybilt-X2O-10K-Waterproof-Synthetic-Rope-Wireless-Winch-Gen2-with-Fairlead-98510.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=S/B98510

Says the fitment is universal; will this mount to the bumper I intend to buy soon, that is without major modification - https://www.trail-gear.com/120191-1-kittacoma-rock-defense-low-profile-front-bumper.html

Products Discussed in

To Top