1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light Off-Roading: Manual vs Automatic? & Rear Locer vs Limited Slip Differential

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hella, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Sep 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    bring your truck down to me... i'll find a way :D

2. Sep 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Stock
    You can turn ALSD off and TRAC off at the same time, wanna bet?

3. Sep 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    fishshooter

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    You can also turn off TRAC in 4hi. I know what the manual says, but just try it.

4. Sep 23, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Explain this. All the tests I have seen, put the auto a couple ticks faster to 60..:confused:

5. Sep 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Wrong driver...lol

I know it's kicking my butt driving my new rig with the 6spd coming from my 08 Sentra 6spd. This clutch is a whole different animal, its true when they say each clutch has it's own personality.

6. Sep 24, 2009 at 2:12 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Skill ;)...
    My truck has no traction control, no locker, no LSD and it gets around just fine on the street and on the trails.

7. Sep 24, 2009 at 4:19 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    For light offroading?

You don't need anything other than a 4WD tacoma.

If you live in an area that gets snow - then I'd look for a used 05-08 model that has the MECHANICAL LSD. This will be more beneficial to the snow driving (on road).

If you don't have any snow - then the mechanical LSD is only beneficial to you while offroading. And if you're looking for offroading benefits only - then get the TRD Offroad package with the rear locker.

If you get an 09 model (with AUTO LSD), YES....you can install an mechanical LSD or even a locker in there (COSTLY!!!)
    If you get an 05-08 model - you CAN NOT have a mechanical LSD and the Rear locker at the same time.

8. Sep 24, 2009 at 4:46 AM
    TacoMO

TacoMO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    fly over zone
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Shell
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I guess I will. (temporary)
    I have a 09 TRD Off Road 4x4 Dbl Cab.. We were out in CO last week, I did some easy off road stuff (Alpine Loop, and another pass from Lake City over to Heart Lake) a lot of the time I was in 4-low, pretty steep and rocky. The switchbacks were wet and pretty steep.
    Only once did I hit the dif lock button, steep hill, a little slick mud with rocks mixed in I was in 4 low and started spinning. Hit the locker and went right up.
    The question is, on a couple of spots I'm hearing these "clicking" noises in slick spots, like traction control kicking in. I thought all that was off in 4-low. Is it? I finally hit a few of the buttons, some lights came on, on the dash, and the clicking stopped and I had better traction..
    Which one of the buttons do I need to hit to make the traction control go away? and, or limited slip? The manual is difficult (at least for me.)
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    (end hijack)

9. Sep 24, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    05-08 TRD Sport does not have TRAC/VSC/ Auto-LSD like all 09-10 models. Old school mech LSD, and no nannies.

I own the 6spd, and wouldnt trade for an auto, but same truck, 0-60 the auto will win. As chris4x4 said, check any test, auto wins by .3-.4 sec. Blame short gears (esp 1st) for towing and crawling not drag racing. Now 10-60mph I think you have a race.

10. Sep 24, 2009 at 6:54 AM
    fishshooter

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Did you have the ATRAC button pressed in? It is kinda hidden, it's down under the A/C controls, by the cigerette lighter and aux plug. Just keep it pressed in all the time, it will only activate when you are in four low. It's a more aggressive ALSD for both the front and rear, with no throttle intervention. On the 09+ Tacomas it will still work the front when the locker engaged, also. At one time it would not in the FJs. You do hear and feel the brakes actuating when it kicks in, but it really works very well. If your slipping a little but still have some momentum and don't want the racket, just flip it off. You want to turn it off if your brakes are getting really hot, also. If you are in four hi, come to a complete stop and hold the VSC button down for 5-7 seconds. You will see the VSC off light come on, and TRAC will go off until you hit the button again. This is useful in sand and cutting up in the mud.:)

11. Sep 24, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    please post a video of you doing donuts in loose gravel with a 2009 Tacoma TRD Sport, without anything kicking in to stop you, and spinning the wheel at a good speed (i.e. like 30mph) (i.e. not some donuts on ice where you spin the wheel at 1mph) because the systems kicks back in after a certain speed.

I bet you won't make it, I've tried to slide my rear end on dirt roads and it's impossible, whatever I do with the buttons, it always kick back in after a certain speed

edit: I just saw you have an off road, might be different, but I bet you on a sport model you cannot send the tail sideways on dirt roads at a good speed, no matter what you press, hold, or do to the system, unless cutting some wires.

12. Sep 24, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    fishshooter

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Maybe it's a Canuck thing. On yours, can you turn TRAC off so it doesn't come on when driving, no matter what speed?

13. Sep 24, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    TacoMO

TacoMO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    fly over zone
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Shell
    I had the ATRAC button pressed in.. I'm just f'n clueless as to what it actually does..:eek: I think I turned it off to make the noise go away. I was not on that tough of a trail and was not having that much trouble.
    What exactly does a more aggressive ALSD mean?
    Thanks..

14. Sep 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    this weekend I'll take a video.

I've tried everything in 2WD, holding the button, just pressing it, etc. At a certain speed it gets back in, and I can't slide it.

15. Sep 24, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro

More or less, it applies brake pressure to the wheels in a manner to keep torque even all around and simulate a locked differential.

16. Sep 24, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    fishshooter

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Yeah, what you heard and felt was the ATRAC. Basically, when it senses a wheel slipping it actuates the brake on that wheel to transfer some of the torque to the other wheel. In 4lo ATRAC does this on all four wheels. Acts somewhat like a limited slip diff, but in theory is able to supply close to 50% of the torque at the differential to each wheel, whether it is spinning or not. That's what I mean by more aggressive, it will flat lock a spinning wheel up sometimes. Pretty noisy, but effective. There are situations where you want it off. The down hill assist uses the same brake actuation, and is equally as noisy.

17. Sep 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    fishshooter

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Best I can do right now. Next week I'm headed out our hunting property, so I can get a video of it. Here is TRAC off while doing over 50. It stays off at 80+ on the highway or with the ass end slinging around in the dirt and the speedo at whatever. With the ALSD on and TRAC off, it comes back on around 30.

tracoff_87b311d13e2b400740865b64a307cef101bf1ede.jpg

18. Sep 24, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    doesn't VSC kick back in though?

like over 30 VSC off lights up, but over 30 VSC is back on (so no "VSC off" light.

19. Sep 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    fishshooter

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    No, TRAC and VSC are connected.
    This is quoted directly, word for word, from page 186 of my manual:

Turning off TRAC and VSC

"Push and hold the button for more than 3 seconds while the vehicle is stopped to turn off both TRAC and VSC."

"If TRAC and VSC systems are turned off, the systems will not turn on, even when vehicle speed increases."

"With AUTO LSD mode, VSC OFF and AUTO LSD indicator lights turn on. The TRAC system will turn on when the vehicle speed increases."

Exactly the same thing I said.
    One thing I did not know, and it makes sense is that:
    "When the rear differential is locked:"
    "The active traction control system (ATRAC) is activated only when the vehicle speed is less than 3 mph."

20. Sep 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro

I was reading through and gonna say the same thing. Mine is the exact same way. No problem at all turning all the traction stuff off, and they do not come back on at a higher speed.

Products Discussed in

To Top