1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light Switch for 2010OR Under AC Controls

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Shaggy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Sep 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Shaggy

Shaggy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica DC TRD Off Road
    Here are some pictures of the switches:

[​IMG]
    This is what I got for $119.00 ($55 each plus shipping) :eek:

[​IMG]
    side view of switch

[​IMG]
    front view of switch - at least the silk screening matches the OEM look

[​IMG]
    front and back view - you get a harness with these so you can splice the plug easily

[​IMG]
    this is a blank from under the AC controls sitting next to one of the switches - looks perfect

[​IMG]
    here is the side view with the blank next to it for comparison - perfect size again.

Bottom line is if you want something that will fit perfectly without cutting or trimming the stock holes in the bank of switches under the AC controls in our 2005-10 (could be 11 and 12 too) trucks then this looks like the only option. PLEASE if anyone has any other OEM looking switches that will fit here without modifying the panel let us know.

2. Sep 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    Thanks for posting up the info and pictures on these, looks like i will be going this route as well. Post up some pictures once you have them installed!

3. Sep 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    Shaggy

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    Install happening this weekend...I will post up pics when done

4. Nov 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    PhantomVirus

PhantomVirus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    People's Republic of NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White TRD OffRoad Double Cab
    Don't steal my tailgate Mod, Hardwired Valentine1 Radar Detector, Smitty N-FAB Nerf Bars, Led lights (Maps, overhead & rear License Plate), Debadged, TRD rim center covers, Replaced Chrome Grill with OEM Super White, PlastiDipped Toyota Logo on Grill BLACK, Distinct Offroad Custom light bar
    Shaggy - any updates/pics? I have my Rigids ready to go but need a switch that won't look like crap.

Considering hacking up the center console behind the shifter or even sacrificing one of the sunglass holders (I don't need 2 anyway) but I need to figure out a way to reuse the panel and not have it open every time I press a switch :-( the 2012+ have the press/release latch system in the sunglass holders.

5. Apr 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    2013baja

2013baja Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Markus
    SoCal
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  6. Apr 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    joeyd27

joeyd27 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR
    So how did it work out?

7. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    From my there here.

FogSwitch_zps63db54b3_46e1d21e2f370847d0ae600e09da740475c28385.jpg

I'm not wired in yet, as I'm waiting for a few final parts, but that's a quick test fit to give you an idea.

8. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    Shaggy

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    Totally forgot to post pics of these....I will take some now and update this thread - sorry

9. Apr 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    2013baja

Member:
    First Name:
    Markus
    SoCal
    Great. Thanks! Looks like a perfect fit and probably what I'll buy. Too bad the color doesn't match perfectly. Can we not buy another "A-TRAC" button?

10. Apr 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    Agreed. It's not the most solid feeling switch either, and I've got suspicions that it won't illuminate the same as the OEMs, but it fits correctly and that was the most important factor for me. I had the Carling/Daystar style switches in my old truck and while I loved how stout they were, they don't blend into the more modern dashes IMHO.

Definitely not worth the $55/switch I spent, but they'll be 100% effective at what I want to accomplish.

11. Apr 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    2013baja

Member:
    First Name:
    Markus
    SoCal
    Do I buy the negative output or positive output version? I want my lightbars to come on when I press it.

From the sales site:

Allows you to Power On/Off 12volts
    for Off Road Fog Lamps when used with a 30 Relay (not Included)

3amp Dash Panel Switch with 2x Green LED illumination
    Wire Harness, Just connect the input wire, output wire, and ground
    Recommended for aftermarket fog lamps control ( 30amp Relay required)
    Can used up to 4 switches to control separate functions output.

Negative output = Negative signal for Pre-Wired Setup

Positive output = Positive signal when used with a wiring harness

12. Apr 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    Positive.

13. Apr 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    Shaggy

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind that the far right hole was knarled up by the first switch that was moved there. The middle switch fits perfectly. They are not OEM but they are the closest I could find and have worked perfectly since I got them. The LED's are a different from the rest of the dash and are also different brightness between each other but they fit and do exactly what I wanted them to do. I may purchase a new trim piece so I do not have that chewed up area but I did not see it until I took the picture from that angle. I had someone else do the install for me.

14. Apr 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    LoneCynic

LoneCynic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    NBM Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road & Towing
    SmittyBuilt Side Steps, DeeZee Bed Mat, TRD Shift Knob, Pop & Lock Tailgate lock, Stantz Locking Gas Cap, Marshall Instruments Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Gauges
    I am glad that someone found the switches that fit this panel. I have a 2013 Off Road, and all the panels with the larger switches to the left of the steering wheel are taken already on mine too. I was just wondering the other day if there were any stock looking fog light switches that fit the smaller type panel in the center console, and then this thread popped up and answered the question. So hats off to the OP and others involved in this thread who already did the leg work and trial and error to find the answer.

I do have a related question though regarding the existing switches and panels. In the center console panel, I have Blank, A-Trac, USB/AUX, Blank. Is there the same amount of space behind all four ports? The reason I ask is that mine is a 6-speed manual, so my shifter is right there. Sometimes, when I have something plugged into the USB, it almost gets in the way. I was curious, before popping the panel out and looking for myself, if it was feasible to relocate and re-align the existing stuff to the right? That way, when I get the fog switches to use for future off-road light mod, it would be: Fog switch, Fog switch, A-Trac, USB/AUX. This seems simple enough, but it would be helpful to know if it is easily doable before I start pulling stuff apart, and not anything behind there being a reason for the current setup from the factory.

For that matter, are the ones to the left of the steering wheel as easy to swap around? It doesn't seem to make total sense the way it comes from the factory. I kinda like having same type switches together, if that makes sense. That way I'm not always taking my eyes off the road for so long looking for the one I want to press. Always seemed kinda wierd having the Traction/Stabili-track, A-Trac, and E-Locker all in different locations/panels anyway. On the left, I wouldn't mind swapping the buttons and switches around a bit in a configuration that makes most sense to me. If anyone else has done this with little hassle, let me know and I'll feel a bit better about attempting it if there is nothing preventing it from being a partial afternoon project.

Thanks again for all the information and assistance!

15. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    LoneCynic

LoneCynic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    NBM Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road & Towing
    SmittyBuilt Side Steps, DeeZee Bed Mat, TRD Shift Knob, Pop & Lock Tailgate lock, Stantz Locking Gas Cap, Marshall Instruments Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Gauges
    Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I wanted to know. What kind of battery setup did you do?

16. Apr 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    There is plenty of space back there, however, you cannot do it without cutting the dash.

From my thread here:
    [​IMG]

See how each switch is keyed differently? The TundraPart pieces have no such keys, so they will work in any of the slots, but you're out of luck when it comes to moving A-TRAC or the USB/Aux.

17. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I took my blanks out last night. The far right hole is keyed for the Atrac switch. I moved my Atrac over there. I was going to move the USB but that will not work. Someone asked on another thread about wires. There were leads in my blanks. I am guessing for heated mirrors and seats on the Limited version. Also, there is enough slack in the Atrac wire to move it to the far right hole. I will put 2 light switches in the left side. I was going to leave the Atrac where it was but figured it would be easier to run the wires for the lights from the left side. Now the great switch hunt begins.

18. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I have modify what I said about relocating the Atrac switch. It will go in on the far right but getting it back out is a bear. The top left of the slot is keyed a little different. I believe that if you just trip off the little ridge at the top it will be fine. I pulled mine back out it was obvious that it was hanging up there.

19. Jun 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    I marred up my holes when I was installing the fog switch after wiring it :(I'm so angry with myself! I was running out of time to make my lighting work, and the wiring wasn't playing nice, and I got a little aggressive removing the switches from the dash :(

The Tundra Solutions switch works well, but it's a cheap switch. I found out that when I wired it to my KC harness via the KC diagram (running the relay trigger to the switch and not to a light switched source) the switch is always illuminated, even when the truck is off. This is because I wired everything to my panel and not to a switched source within the truck. I ended up isolating the wire that controls the running light LED so the switch no longer illuminates. I found the illumination LED to be far, FAR to bright for normal usage and was very distracting. If I get brave I will wire an inline resistor and tap the illumination circuit from the ATRAC switch.

Regardless, the switch works and fills the spot on my dash quite well. I just need to get my second switch back from my friend who repaired it for me after it fried.

Products Discussed in

To Top