1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lightbar legality ? and moving vs equipment violation help (LEO)

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by ProForce, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Interesting. Do they do this while you are there, or do they just poke around the parked cars?

A few years ago (okay, maybe 15 or 20), I noticed CHP ticketing parked cars along Azusa and San Gabriel for no front plates.
    This was before the Forest Adventure Pass was needed to park.

I had one threatened to ticket me when I stopped on my Vulcan to take a leak at a rest stop near Dawson Saddle.

2. ProForce

ProForce [OP] Thin Blue Line

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal-Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Yep, all clear :thumbup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal-Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Oh trust me I'm no super hero, nor am I in any way trying to play cop. I know people talk crap about security thinking we are all just wannabe cops and blah blah blah. I can say i am nobody special, and dont think I have any type of special treatment just cause I carry a gun. These lights are strictly for work and off road use (when needed), as well as if I happen to see a major traffic incident or know I can lend a hand, I will. But I certainly don't stop for fender benders or flat tires. Only serious stuff, as would most people.

EDIT: haha this made me think... Rich, what's that article about the ninja security guy :rofl: that was too much! No worries people, I'm not that guy lol

4. Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Gecko45
    http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

I still end up on the floor reading that.

5. ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal-Ontario
    Vehicle:
  6. ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal-Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Hahaha that's funny. Some people go too far.

7. IronPig

IronPig Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    Toytech Ultimate Lift Kit, LR UCA's, T3 eyelids, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, FN Type X wheels, Debadged, Homer Taco Raptor Grill and lower valance grill, painted lower valance, blacked out skid plate, Flyze Eye interior light, LED interior lights, EZ down tailgate
    No. Points are for moving violations only like speeding, running a red light, stop sign, yield etc. Some carry two points like DUI, some reckless. All mechanical, insurance, seatbelts, etc are not points against your driver history.

8. joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Sounds like the grey area is the two red lights. Why not just hook those up as brake lights? If you did that you'd be set up the same as a tow truck.

I wouldn't want to be caught with flashing red lights or wig wags, especially in CA, where the volunteer firefighters are not even allowed lights. You'd really stand out. I might feel differently if it were more common to see an unofficial looking truck with lights on it.

The amber lights facing to the rear don't seem like a big deal. I see city trucks, cal trans, tow trucks, surveyors with them all the time. The red ones are what will get you the wrong type of attention. And probably the wig wags as well.

It's not often that I see a police car around here lit up like a christmas tree on the side of the road. If they are stopped they usually just run the amber lights. And CHP just runs the factory flashers on the side of the road.

If you are worried about attracting the type of law enforcement attention that you don't need, try not to stand out too much.

9. ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal-Ontario
    Vehicle:
    The idea of using the red as brake lights was a though but then I thought that every time I tap the brake pedal, every car behind me sees the red lights, and therefore I'm giving myself away and only asking to get pulled over. I think since the lenses are clear, just leaving them as is is less obvious then the brake idea. I could always run the 2 reds through a relay and switch them, that way if I ever get stopped for whatever reason, I can disable them in case the officer "investigates" the light further. But during an actually emergency, I highly doubt any cop would say anything about them. I know its not often that you run into an actual emergency, but like I said, these are rarely going to be used and I know that. I won't be driving around looking for a reason to use them. A few of my partners at work are LEOs and some say its whatever, others say its bad. I guess it depend on the time, place, circumstances, and who sees them in use really. Its clear they are illegal... knowing if I'll actually get cited just depends on if I use them responsibly or immaturely.

10. Leoffensive

Leoffensive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 prerunner TRD sport
    Icon 2.5 coilovers with resi, Custom OMD rear leaf pack, Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Magnaflow muffler
    i have a strobe setting for my dust lights.

i work for caltrans and signed a waiver for some cases(callouts) that authorize me to use my personal vehicle for state service.

11. ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal-Ontario
    Vehicle:
    That's convenient :cool:

12. ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal-Ontario
    Vehicle:
    True. I could still switch them and generally leave them off unless I really think its justified (probably very rarely) then turn them on I guess.

13. Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Dang that lightbar would be so handy for when I am on car accidents. Most of our calls are car accidents because our district is mainly windy busy highways, and I usually end up in my own truck on scenes because the worst accidents are between me and the station. Idk about the laws here but I was planning on getting some kind of amber flashers just to warn traffic. Probably not a directional like this but whatever I can legally get without everyone freaking out.

14. ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal-Ontario
    Vehicle:
    You can order it in all amber, and it comes in a 6 light setup instead of 8 also. Fully weatherproof as well.

15. Leoffensive

Leoffensive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 prerunner TRD sport
    Icon 2.5 coilovers with resi, Custom OMD rear leaf pack, Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Magnaflow muffler

yes very haha

16. Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2010DCSB4X4TRDORMGM
    See build thread.
    What the hell is 10-14? If I was responding to any type of call I would not be okay with having a security guy leading us in his POV with all his lights on; huge liability for the FD and yourself.

As innocent as your intentions are, I would say to just stick with the ambers. If I was in your position I would just use the hazard lights.

17. SFSMedic

SFSMedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett C
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 4-door 4x4 TRD Offroad
    Report of a prowler. We usually just snuck up no lights or sirens to those type of calls to not scare the person away hoping to catch them in the act.

18. Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2010DCSB4X4TRDORMGM
    See build thread.
    Sounds like a job for the fuzz to handle. Don't think they need a security guard lit up like a Xmas tree scaring the creeper off anyway.

19. joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    So your employer made you sign a waiver so you can use your POV for work? What exactly did you waive when you signed it? Who insures you and your truck while on the job? I know my insurance will flip me the bird if I incur any liability while working and using my personal truck.

I am sure it's nice to not have to go to the yard and pick up a state vehicle just for a quick call, just wondering how much risk you are assuming that would normally be your employer's.

20. Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I used my personal vehicles for almost 20 years for work, and AAA was okay with it. Their prohibition was if the actual WORK involved the vehicle such as delivery, or ferrying clients, etc... That would be denied.
    In my case (and Leo's), the POV is simply being used to get us to and from the job site.

The annual mileage drives higher rates, and that's what covers the business use time.

When I changed jobs in 2006, the corporate policy was that they WOULD cover my POV under their policy, so not only did I have to track my business use for the IRS, I also had to track it and submit to AAA with the proof of corporate coverage to get a reduction in my rate.

To Top