1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lightbar paranoia: collision; theft

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SW2005, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    SW2005

SW2005 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gil
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    05 4cyl 4wd superwhite
    Has anyone worried about auxiliary lighting on a lightbar getting destroyed in a front end collision or having them stolen?

I live in a downtown area, where people touch bumpers routinely parallel parking.

Am about to install a pair of Hella 4000 ($51.99 from Amazon for an open box) and Hella 700ff's from the HID group buy.

Looking forward to having extra lighting for the start of turkey season in a couple weeks!

Have seen suggestions from other forums: welding the nut to the bolt, Barri nuts from Australia, filing nuts round -- thought I'd check here and see what folks thought

2. Apr 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I have the same issues as you.hate to have $200-$300 lights stolen or crunched

3. Apr 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    I have 4 kcs on a kc bar and not worried about them being stolen man, but thats just me. And if I get in a wreck or they get messed up ill just buy more and place them behine the grill or get an offroad bumper =D I woulda swore there was a locking style bolt like for your rims you can use on them but you have to use a certain "key" just like rims ill try to find a link

4. Apr 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    yotamikez

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
  5. Apr 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    jeanyves

jeanyves not junior member

Member:
    red deer
    Vehicle:
    08 trd offroad
    lr uca,trd supercharger,light bar ,4 lightforce striker 170,toyota alu. step for winter,black nfab for summer,fog light mod,toytec ultimate lift kit with 5100,18'' fuel boost with 275/65 nitto terra grappler
    i have 4 light force striker 170 in front and i am worry about theft,but you can get anti theft nuts for them ,light force do sell them,i might hae to put them on soon just to calm down my paranoia lol
    [​IMG]
    as for collision ,if all i wreck is the light and the bar ,i will be happy !

6. Apr 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    TimRD OffRoad

TimRD OffRoad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Off Road 4x4
    King Coil Overs, Add-A-Leaf, Custom tube rear bumper
    i have worried about theft too. my lights aren't cheap either and im hoping a thief doesnt seem them and realize how easy they would be to steal. and those "locking nuts" can be taken off with vice grips.

7. Apr 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    yotamikez

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    Touche to the vise grips, but im wondering who is really gunna take there time and get them off =/ maybe im being neive but id be scared to death of someone walkin out!

8. Apr 3, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I used two different types of bolts to mount my PIAA 520s ... first I used a square nut, then a hex locking nut. So if someone wants to remove them, they're going to need either need a socket + adjustable wrench / vice grips, or take their time with the just the wrench / grips. A socket won't get the square nut off, so sockets alone won't work.

Of course they could just unbolt the lights from the brackets ... but I used 2 different bolts / screws on each light ... on one side is a phillips + hex nut ... the other side is a slot screw (no hex head). So again, someone is going to need a couple tools to even get it off the bracket.

As for stealing the whole light bar .. mine's an Avid ... 4 big bolts hold it to the bumper mounts, and there wasn't exactly a ton of space to work with in there. So it's going to take someone probably more time than they want to spend.

Rule #1 ... make it more of a pain to remove than the next guy's, and you should be just fine. Thieves look for the quick score. Unless they really want what you got, they're just not going to dick with non-standard mounts.

Now I'm looking for a way to wire on my grills ... probably just going to run a length of insulated twisted copper wire around the rims and behind the lights. Easy to cut? Sure ... if you have cutters. But they won't be as easy to remove as the next guy's!

9. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I had 4 Hella 500s get stolen in the school parking garage here in Reno. Fucking thieves >: |

Didn't find out about the barri nuts until after. Check expedition exchange. Don't forget about the adjusting bolts.

10. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    I have a nfab light bar. I kinda rear ended someone the other day at like 5-10mph. No damage to light bar or the lights. No damage to the truck at all. The other truck has a hole in the bumper where the light bar hit. Pretty damn sturdy light bar :cool: or maybe get the prerunner light bar for better frontal light protection

11. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I think about it... mostly about hitting someone or an idiot backing into me... but I just like having them there until something happens... I park in the garage... and many trucks around here have off road lights, so mine isn't too far outwardly looking!

2-21-11lights021_3d3ed120d52ca72837637886d11e177c940f95f4.jpg

2 Kragen HID Euro/ Driving beams, 2 Hella 4000 100 watt Halogen Pencil beams

12. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vance County, NC
    maybe you could use some 16gauge cable and secure it to the light bar if you don't want to weld the nut. a thief probably wont have the snips on hand to cut it and for sure not able to yank it off.

13. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    If they want it bad enough they will take it I rather my stuff be somewhat easy to take off just so if they feel they need to take flights they don't need to fuck up other shit that cost more than $70

Products Discussed in

To Top