1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lighting advice for a newbie?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by adammikolon, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    adammikolon

adammikolon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Doylestown, PA
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner 3.4L V6
    K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit, JBA cat-back exhaust
    I'm new to the world of tacomas, just got my 03 prerunner a few months ago and I LOVE IT. I want to install some aux. driving lights but i'm not sure what to look for....
    any suggestions as far as brands go? (hella vs. kc?)
    like i said i'm a newbie so any advice would be great

2. Aug 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX or College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner V6 Black
    Viper Alarm, In Pro Car Wear L.E.D. Tail Lights, Fog Lights, ScanGuageII, AvidOffroad Light Bar, Ammo Box Mod, Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Satoshi Grill, Hella 500ff behind the grill, blendmount, Cruise Control Mod, Fog Light Mod, 5100's @1.75, Toytec TSB AAL 1.5".
    Hella 500's are pretty good for the price. Also it just depends on what you want out of them and how much you want to pay.

3. Aug 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Lights are like lift kits and big tires. Go big the first time!

Hella 500s are a good supplement to a good set of high beams. Some guys here have switched theirs to HID and that is supposed to be an awesome improvement.

If it were me I would buy a pair of 8 or 9 inch lights and mount them on the bumper. I had pro comp 130 8 inch lights on my 86 4x4. They were awesome, and they were cheap. My last truck had hella 500s, but I also had Hella 100watt H4 conversion lights on it. Those won't fit on a 03 taco.

My truck is going to get hella 4000 euro beams just as soon as I come up with a way to mount them. Damn plastic bumper on this 2nd gen!

4. Aug 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    adammikolon

adammikolon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Doylestown, PA
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner 3.4L V6
    K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit, JBA cat-back exhaust
    i was thinking i'd go with something like hella 500's mostly because they seem good for the price and i'm sort of tight on $$$ :(

i'm also considering putting in a billet grille and mounting the lights behind it

5. Aug 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I liked the hella 500s. I think they are one of the best values out there. Not sure if you off-road at all, but I think you will find them a bit lacking for dunes, etc. I had them on a 2wd truck and they were great on the street. Added a bit of distance and filled in the gaps in the stock high beams. When I upgraded the stock headlights, I was really happy.:D

To Top