1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Linear Array subwoofers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 5nahalf, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Oct 13, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf [OP] I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    So I got these subwoofers in 2007, never had a plan for them, but I thought they were pretty cool.

Today I got a idea for them!

I present, the tymphany LAT250 subwoofer!
    Its got 10 speaker cones each (5 going one way, 5 going the other), and each driver is the same as a single 8 inch subwoofer, but produce no vibration due to the design.

They just happen to fit perfect into the cubby behind my seat. With the proper grill, I will be able to still use some of the space there too.

Plan is to fiberglass a enclosure that slips into the cubby, the mount these along with a tube shaped metal grill to cover them and keep them protected.

Here are some of the tech specs on them. While not thumping bass machines, they put out a really clean bottom end. Alpine made a much larger version (PLV5 and PLV7)
    https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/299-850-tymphany-buyouts-specifications-46410.pdf

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blais03 and destin_meeks like this.
  2. Oct 15, 2018 at 6:18 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    @5nahalf I remember when those came out. Kinda cool for getting a lot of cone area in a minimal mounting area. And you're right, for an under seat subwoofer where the mounting surface is super skinny it would be a great idea.

However, I modeled those subwoofers and the models aren't good at all. Not trying to burst your bubble but I AM trying to keep you from wasting a ton of time on something I think will have poor results (regardless of your execution).

If I've modeled the speakers correctly, you'd need almost 2 cubic feet to make the bottom end remotely flat with the upper bass. Even then, you'd have to tune the port extremely high (38hz+). Trouble is, there's only barely 1cubic foot of airspace down there and that's for a sealed box. If you port, you'll lose airspace to the port volume (I speak from experience here). I think the main problem with the speaker itself is the extremely high FS spec (60hz). These little guys just aren't cut out for sub duty but might do better as midbass drivers. I think Tympany made a 500 and 700 version that would work better for this type of thing. I modeled the 500 version and it's response looks much better but still requires 2 cubic feet.

3. Oct 15, 2018 at 6:29 AM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    Hmm never seen something like this before

4. Oct 15, 2018 at 7:12 AM
    5nahalf

5nahalf [OP] I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed

Thanks for the info! Ive always wondered if they would sound good. Ive hooked them up a few times, but never in a box. Maybe Ill just make some nice bookshelf speakers with them then and stick with a single 8 behind the drivers side.

ItalynStylion[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top