1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Linear front coils and progressive rear leaf springs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DevL, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I know that in most front coils and all the springs used in coilovers I know of, they use linear springs on the coils. I know all multi leaf rears are progresive. Other than with a bypass shock, how can you possibly control rebound damping effectively when the spring is fully compressed while not creating a ridiculously harsh ride on the initial travel when the spring is not compressed much? Is this why my rear end bucks once it is compressed going over a bump? Huge spring pressure at full compression combined with rebound damping suitable for the spring rates used in the first couple inches of travel while the linear spring rate up front is better controled with a fixed spring rate?

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a TRD Offroad... but I am about to buy a coilover set up, thus my concern. I will be able to handle WAY more on the front than the rear and my probelm will be even worse than it is now.

3. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    As an answer to the OP: Other than bypass shocks, you can't.

My truck feels almost like it has two different suspensions. The front soaks like you wouldn't believe. The ass kicks.

I'm not worried enough about it to swap leaf packs before these are shot though. And I want to keep my load capacity without additional squattage.

To Top