1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Linked rear questions

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by 3pooches, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Oct 15, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    3pooches

3pooches [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA & WV
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma dcsb Sc Linked, 2014 reg cab locked
    I’m currently running a 3 link rear with panhard. Lower links measure 48”, upper is 56” and mounts same distance up the frame as the lowerA274F95B-53D6-4B6B-8901-C809793FF8A9.jpg

8E9325A4-36B6-4AB9-AF99-11EBD96D6535.jpg

I would like to remove the panhard and have all 4 links mount under the cab, so I can remove the bed and rear of the frame. I have space to mount a 4th link on the left side and be done, but........ I don’t like the amount of anti squat I’m getting from the upper and lowers being mounted so close on the frame side. And I wouldn’t mind removing the low hanging lower link brackets for more clearance.

My thought is running ~32” lower links and mounting them here
    62CEABBD-1367-4D30-9FF4-10F10A2301C5.jpg 5B78061E-7B8D-4250-8350-53582D315EE6.jpg

This would give me ground clearance and more space on the frame to get the uppers and lowers closer to parallel, which Im under the impression, will give me more squat under power.

I’m currently limited to 16” of travel since my shocks are mounted to the axle and I’m ok with that. I use the truck mainly as toy with the occasional trip. I’m looking for advice from anyone who has messed around with link setups and can offer general insight before I put everything into the calculator.

2. Oct 15, 2020 at 12:27 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
  3. Oct 15, 2020 at 8:00 PM
    Basikbiker

Basikbiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    My doors are the only stock things left besides the headlights
    I mean he's on the right track....kinda a short course link setup...more separation between the fronts will lower your anti squat percentage and yes truck will squat more when u smash the gas....ideally for the high speed stuff trucks handle good with 35-50% antisquat. Just check your driveshaft plunge that will kinda tell you where your lower mounts kinda need to be or not be...less plunge means stuff wears out slower....the shorter your links are the more the axle is gunna plunge in general because the travel arc is a smaller radius but since you arnt pulling big travel numbers u might be able to get away with it...the calculators help...measure accurately tho. If you plan to get rid of the bed....just link it like a normal link setup with the shocks on arms get in the 20+" travel range....it performs soooooo much better and easier to tune because the motion ratio is more 2:1

My 2 cents

j4roe and 3pooches[OP] like this.
  4. Oct 16, 2020 at 3:57 AM
    3pooches

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA & WV
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for your insight. What weight springs are you running in the back? What are the pros and cons (if any) running a wishbone upper instead 2 separate uppers?

5. Oct 16, 2020 at 4:31 AM
    godofspeed

godofspeed Washington State.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR DC
    Body Armor front bumper Body Armor rear bumper 17x8.5 Method Bead Lock 35x12.50 Camburg LT Fox coilover All Pro 11 pack leaf Fox rear shock with DSC Allpro frame slider Smittybuilt 9500 winch Cobra CB w/firestick antenna. Hi-lift Smittybuilt air compressor
    3pooches[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 16, 2020 at 7:15 AM
    3pooches

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA & WV
    Vehicle:
    How long are your lowers, and how much travel do you have? My configuration is similar to your trail gear one minus an upper link, which I’ll be adding to remove the panhard bar. I would like to see if anyone is running a shorter (~32”) lower link/ trailing arm and how it works. my truck sees some rocky trails and some dirt courses with little jumps. I want to be able to drive it fast and drift around while getting more ground clearance by running a shorter link

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  7. Oct 17, 2020 at 6:16 PM
    2000prerunner23

2000prerunner23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    I have not heard of lower links being shorter than the upper links . Typical ratio is upper link is about 80% the length of the lower link. I’m not sure how much plunge , anti squat , or pinion change your set up is giving but I imagine it’s some compromises for your “DD link” setup which is only pulling 16”.

another factor is how spread apart the upper link mounts are vs lower link mounts for both the frame and axle end

[​IMG] Example of lower links being longer vs the upper ...

Edit ... I Have only built link setups for go fast / prerunner setups . Maybe it’s different for going slow and you want the axle to “walk “ More or less ?? Or have more anti squat? For higher speeds you want less rear steer “walk” and less roll and some times more anti squat

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  8. Oct 17, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    3pooches

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA & WV
    Vehicle:
    I’m not trying to make the lower links shorter than the upper ( links will mount at the same distance up the frame), I was going to shorten both upper and lowers to more of a Jeep length. I was trying to gain ground clearance by removing the low hanging mount for the lower links, add more squat (less anti squat) by increasing the height between the upper and lower mounts. At this point I think I’m going to make trailing arms and add a second upper link.

9. Oct 17, 2020 at 11:31 PM
    tacotunner06

tacotunner06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma
    LS Swap with RSG Tranzilla, Custom hi clearance front bumper, Relentless: Slider's, bed rails, rear bumper, Prinsu with 40" BD s8. Dirt Designs 3.5 LT. Archive Garage rear towers/shackle flip/SUA. King Air bumps. King LT Coilovers in front. King 12x2.5 in rear. ARB rear air locker and twin compressor. SCS f5's with 33" Ridge Grapplers. 20" S8 mounted in bumper, squadron sport fog lights, squadron pro backup lights, LP6's bumper mounted.
    https://www.crawlpedia.com/4_link_suspension.htm
    unleess i'm reading this wrong shortening your links and moving the mounts up is going to give you less squat/increase your anti squat. But i have very little experience with linked suspension so i could be wrong.

10. Oct 18, 2020 at 4:52 AM
    3pooches

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA & WV
    Vehicle:
    I would be able to separate the mounting locations more which should give me more squat

Products Discussed in

To Top