1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Little help diagnosing the reason for CEL

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Country101, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Apr 19, 2012 at 3:29 AM
    Country101

Country101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    I've had my check engine light come on several times in the last couple months. The code was P022 I believe. Cam shaft position bank "a" retarded or soemthing to that effect.

I highly doubt it is mechanically out of time, and I dont think it is an oil blockage. I am running royal purple at the moment. This is my first run of it. I used a full synthetic last time before I switched and have already put a new filter on after getting the code a time or two.

It only seems to happen after I go through some water. the first time it happened was after I went through the creek when it was about 3' high and then went down a muddy trail. When I have been doing this, I have been running it a little bit harder than I would be on the street of course and it is bumping around quite a bit. Personnally I am thinking it has some kind of short on that sensor or a wire somewhere.

It came on again after going through a lower creek the other day and has since went off by itself. It has gone off by itself several times and a few times I have had it cleared at the parts store.

Do yall have any thoughts on this? If somebody could, I would greatly appreciate a picture of where these sensors are and what they look like on a similar truck in case I need to swap them around to see if it is just a bad sensor or trace down some wiring.

Thanks folks.

2. Apr 19, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    I'll be off here after a while, so if you look in bump it up so maybe I can get some educated opinions to look at next time I am on.

3. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Little help here, folks?

4. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

Member:
    First Name:
    JUAN
    Malibu, CA
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Lift- king 2.5 with light racing uppers,tc coil bucket gusset, timbern bumps ,defined extended shackles with shackle brace. Armor- tire gate, custom tube bumper, kr fab rear bumper,trail gear wiy 78 in sliders Performance-intake manifold spacer, vibrant resonator as muffler, hps silicone hoses Random stuff- kenwood head unit,b&m t shifter, hood bug deflector, rear dust lights with custom bed bar and hi lift mount.
    Have you search the code online see the solution my guess it's a sensor that's loose or got damaged from the water.

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    BAMFTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    JUAN
    Malibu, CA
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Lift- king 2.5 with light racing uppers,tc coil bucket gusset, timbern bumps ,defined extended shackles with shackle brace. Armor- tire gate, custom tube bumper, kr fab rear bumper,trail gear wiy 78 in sliders Performance-intake manifold spacer, vibrant resonator as muffler, hps silicone hoses Random stuff- kenwood head unit,b&m t shifter, hood bug deflector, rear dust lights with custom bed bar and hi lift mount.
    I just did little searching and it seems like people just clear the code and it doesn't appear again

6. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
  7. Apr 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    It has popped up about 7-8 times so far. From the list of possible reasons the parts guy had from the scanner, none reaally seemed to fit.

Mechanical timing and oil blockage were the major reasons for the code if I remember correctly.

8. Apr 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    BAMFTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    JUAN
    Malibu, CA
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Wow wish I could help you but I'm pretty stumped

To Top