1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Live Free or Die...think not

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gusher, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Feb 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Couldn't you just lower your bumper???

2. Feb 4, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    WVtriple

WVtriple Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    WV eastern panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Sport
    Satoshi grill mod, Redline Tuning Hood struts and tailgate E-Z down, HID headlights and fogs, LED tail lamp upgrade, TRD exhaust, FJ TRD Anthracite Wheels, T-REX eyelids, power sunroof, 5100 Billies and ToyTec AAL, K&N drop-in, TRD seatcovers, Weathertech floor mats, Fog light any-time mod, Pop-n-lock, slotted front rotors with ceramic pads, BenWa power rear slider mod, blackout badges, and blacked out center stack and console. 7" HID's behind the grill. LED light bar in the lower grill. Trailer plug relocate. Auxiliary reverse LED's wired in to be manual or auto on when in reverse.
    if you havn't got the mandatory lift, or tires pass the wells, and sucked face with your sister well you aint sheeeit

3. Feb 10, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    derrick

derrick Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Southern New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4
    5" lift,285s with black wheels, satoshi grill,intake,urd short shifter,48" l.e.d running lights-turn signals on rockers,light bar with 4 7" lights,lighted 4x4 switch, map light mod, fog light on with park light mod,bhlm-red, iPod interface, n-fab rails,
    I am in N.H. too. You must have read the law wrong. it is 30" to the lowest point of the rear bumper or frame. as for the tires you can have half of the first row of tread past your flares. I am the president of a car and truck club and we have had plenty of tickets and our days in court. if you go with these munbers for hieght you will be fine. I hope that helped a little.

4. Feb 10, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    saltwater taco

saltwater taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Telluride, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 3.4 5spd 4x4 TRD
    softopper, sleeping platform
    I say lift it however you want, and don't follow stupid laws.

5. Feb 10, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    91Toyotabogger

91Toyotabogger "Loud Tires Can Save Lives"

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    91 4wd 5sp manual Pickup Standard cab white
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    this is new to me the south it doesn't matter..no real laws

6. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    Some laws are ridiculous and dated. If you actually read all of the active laws for operating a vehicle in your town or state, you would be amazed. Tons of laws were never removed. In my hometown here in Texas there is a law that says when you enter the town's city limits, you must honk your horn. This law was created to alert people in town that a motor vehicle was entering the town...back when people were still using horses and wagons. This law is STILL active, but no one ever gets a ticket for it. Technically I suppose you could get a ticket if the cop wanted to be a jerk, but no one gets these tickets. I say lift your truck until you get to a height where you could run over any pesky troopers trying to pull you over.

7. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    I am all for lifting, and plan on it in the future, but there is a point it is unsafe driving on the street for the idiot which "accidentaly" rear ends you and is killed as a result of chewing on your heavy duty All Pro bumper. The bumper is there to reduce an impact in the event of a collision. The higher it is, the less impact is reduced. This is why tractor traileres have "DOT bars" below the rear doors. I was rear ended at a red light in a stock height 2 wheel drive S-10 by a girl in her Mazda RX7 looking for a "cassete tape" (remember those?). She got under my truck almost to her windshield. With a lifted 4x4, she would have ended up in the hospital.

8. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    uglygun

uglygun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Want to know why the lift laws?

So you don't get killed when this guy doesn't see you in his 20+ foot blind spot or forgets to break and runs over the back of you. I took this picture about 2 years ago and it's the most extreme example of outright blatant stupidity.

l_ee3fb3666bcc741c658061ebb429d973_2577a9bca2803ba6fb074383e388dcffc530ecd1.png

l_4dc41d96d8a3f95e27a5c8d98fb518ca_2f243911684e3c01e2a9e442e152c83964f41292.png

l_63c4e2d713995e6806afa9cfbd74d0e0_4e86a9018c6042d1be137f21aaaa035aeea018d0.png

I am not big on writing vehicle code citations but this was the one idiot out on the road with his stupid trailer queen quasi-show truck that needs to keep his crap off the road. Modest lifts with modest tires don't really bother me. Yes, I've had windows cracked from thrown rocks but all it told me was that I was following too close.

But the idiot above is creating a dangerous condition and it really is a POS that should be kept off the road(despite having what look to be good springs on it).

Modifications within reason usually get overlooked by the majority of officers out there. Unless they are total hard asses or are tasked by their department to go out and essentially be revenue collectors(citing for everything). It typically gets ignored unless they see somebody who matches a criminal profile(not racial, criminal) and they want to go snooping for drugs or warrants during the traffic stop(fishing expedition).

9. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    MEKiter

MEKiter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Portsmouth NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 BC LB 4X4 Sport
    Here is NH laws I currently live in Portsmouth NH This is the most current laws on the books.

[FONT=&quot] Saf-C 3211.06 Tire Width.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](a) A vehicle shall be rejected if the width of any tire or wheel assembly extends beyond the original manufacturer's specified fender lines, except in the case of passenger vehicles in which the fender line has been extended by using metal, rigid fiberglass or rigid rubber wheel-well extensions.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](b) Pursuant to RSA 266:57, if not equipped with proper fenders, a vehicle shall be rejected if not equipped with fender guards or flaps which prevent the throw, splash, spray of water, dirt or other matter upward or to the rear.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]C 3211.07 Steering, Alignment and Suspension.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](a) A vehicle shall be rejected if:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](1) A spring, strut or torsion-bar height does not meet the manufacturer’s specifications or there is a broken spring leaf, spring shackle, coil, sway bar or any connecting part;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](2) On the bounce test, the vehicle continues to oscillate for more than 2 cycles, except on vehicles equipped with gas-pressurized struts or shock absorbers, which show more oscillation than conventional, non-pressurized struts or shock absorbers;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](3) The suspension has been altered, and the bottom edge of the horizontal bumper bar:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]a. Is less than 16 inches or more than 20 inches above level ground on a passenger vehicle;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]b. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches above level ground on a multipurpose passenger vehicle; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]c. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches to the bottom of the front or rear frame rails of a light-duty truck, measured where the bumpers would be attached by the manufacturer;[/FONT]

10. Feb 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    In Ga. when I started driving back in the 70's, we were forever jacking up the rear ends of our cars so we could run incredibly wide tires. The cops used to carry wooden yardsticks around and measure our bumpers off the ground. I forget the number, but I do remember that many of the stock Mopars at my dad's dealership were taller than our hot rods. I also remember that there were no restrictions on truck bumpers. Too high, too low didn't matter. Hell, new trucks didn't even come with a factory bumper. I remember my dad had step bumpers with his dealership name engraved across them that they installed. You could either get a step bumper or a chrome one, or none at all. Yeah, trucks didn't have to measure up. But that was over 30 years ago.

11. Feb 10, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    Wrong. We do, too. But it's really only if the cop is being an ass. I've had friends who got ticketed for their trucks being too low, running clear tail lights (back before "euros" and "altezzas" with red reflectors), exhaust mods, being lifted too high, etc. Our state is a lot more lenient compared to others though.

12. Feb 10, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Word. :cool: :thumbsup:

13. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    i live in NH too, and just about every third truck you see here is lifted especially the 4x4 tacomas....you will be fine. My dodge 2500 had a six inch lift and passes. and that 6'' inch lift is on top of a truck that is already way higher than a taco stock

Products Discussed in

To Top