1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lives saved

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NAYo2002, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Feb 20, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Today, three friends and I headed to the mountains to go snowboarding. The road seemed clear enough so I didn't even have it on 4x4. Suddenly, I hit some ice at 70mph and the Tacoma slid scarily to the left. I know when you are on a skid, you are supposed to steer into it but that wasn't a choice for me since there was nothing but a steep drop into a cliff if I were to do that.

Good thing there was no one on the other side. VSC kicked in and started doing its thing as I try my best to keep the truck on the road. My car swerved about 5 times in different directions but I managed to get it going straight again thanks to VSC.

I can't begin to tell you how scary a swerve is at 70mph. It literally took the breath out of me and I was so thankful that Tacoma is equipped with VSC. If we were in an older vehicle, we'd have been done for sure.

2. Feb 20, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    You got damn lucky man, you really should think about lowering your speed in snowy/icy conditions regardless of how easy it seems.

3. Feb 20, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    MA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    4-leaf TSB, 5100s @ 1.75, Flowmaster 40, Undercover Tonneau, K&N drop-in, Nittos, NGK Iridiums, OME N182s
    vsc saved me a few times as well.

even in a wet intersection with a little too much throttle, vsc works!

4. Feb 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    I've only had my truck for 3 weeks, but I had the VSC kick on in the snow/ice a few times. I would feel the truck start to break free on the rear and slide around the side and before I would take corrective action it "magically" fixed itself. It is a pretty amazing feature to have. I'm glad you and your friends are alright.

5. Feb 21, 2010 at 4:22 AM
    09 tacoma trd

09 tacoma trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 black tacoma dbl cab trd sport
    yes it workes very very good. it helped me a few times. i always engage 4 wd in snowy or ice conditions. not that harder on gas

To Top