1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Llumar AIR 80? Anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by linzy77, May 29, 2013.

1. May 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    linzy77

linzy77 [OP] Does not suffer fools lightly

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access V6 TRD Off Road
    [​IMG]

So I just got the new Taco and its HOT as all get out. Needs tint BAD. So I am looking at doing Llumar AIR 80 on the factory tinted windows and on the windshield wondering if anyone has used it. Its a clearish style tint with a blueish hue but is suppose to be KILLER at blocking UV and Heat.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product and how you like it, and how it holds up over time. Also wondering if it will react negatively with my polarized glasses.

FYI - Not interested in your "favorite tint". I am just wondering about this one in particular. I have pretty specific needs for my application and will not be using any metalized tints. ty ;)

http://www.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarAutoSpecsUS.pdf

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. May 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Had it on my Viper and my last Tacoma.....good stuff.

3. May 30, 2013 at 12:57 AM
    linzy77

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    Any distortion? Do you where polarized shades? Did you have it on the windshield?

4. May 30, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Would be interested in how it blocks the heat. Heat comes from combination of things, including the sunlight. Just how does it block it?

5. May 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    linzy77

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    Its suppose to have some sort of Microcrystalline structure. Its a ceramic tint. It doesn't interfere with electrical or communication signals.

Beyond that I am not sure. I am going to check it out today on their cars and will report back. ;)

6. May 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Most of the heat as we know it is caused by the greenhouse effect in our trucks.

UV passes through glass and then gets trapped in our truck as IR energy (heat). Cut down on the amount of UV entering the truck, and you cut down on the heat generated inside of it.

That's a really simplified explanation which is probably lacking a lot of details.

7. May 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    linzy77

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    Well from what they explained to me some tints will block UV but still will not refract the heat such as dyed tint or glass (factory tint). Usually you would have to have some sort of metalized tint (most popular) to be able to reject the heat. This has no metal and refracts the heat I think through its structure without being dark or tinted per se. These are just guesses however.

More Info: http://www.formulaonetinting.com/window-films-offerred/uv-protection.html

8. May 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    linzy77

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    Just got back from having a look at the Air 80 and I think I am going to have it done all the way around except for the driver and passenger side, which are clear and will be done in standard metalized tint. This crap is not cheap. but should work great! Appt. is scheduled now time to wait. :)

Oh you couldn't even tell it was on the windshield at all. Not nearly as blue as I thought, which is a good thing to me.

Minimal distortion with shades and minimal iridescence with polarized glasses.

9. May 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    Perfect timing! Thanks for the review I was looking at getting this done too looks like the next mod now.

10. May 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    linzy77

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    Its spendy for sure. About double regular tint. :eek:

11. Jun 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    I think it depends on how good a job they do, but I can't even tell it's there besides the fact that it's a lot cooler than without it. The blue tint is negligible. I don't wear polarized shades and yes it's on the windshield.

12. Apr 1, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    linzy77

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    So I did get Air80 installed last year right after I bought my truck (around August). I had the front screen done with all the windows minus the driver and passenger window, which I got installed with standard metallic tint. I cant remember how much I paid per window but I got it cheap (I am thinking I paid around $200.00). I got it mainly because factory tint is just shading on your windows. No UV no heat reduction. This and I run alot of electronics so I did not want a metallic tint which would block alot of signal wrapped around the truck.

Conclusions:

Air80 helps, how much idk. UV protection wise it is worth it to me. It does have a noticeable blue tint and is weird at first however I do not notice it now.

Heat reduction is low but it does work. It was approaching 125F-135F in the truck during the afternoon while sitting and this dropped about 10-15-20 degrees. However no real study was performed just general observations with a thermo.

Visibility with polarized lens is also a bit strange at first however now it is now not noticeable. It does refract and rainbow off the Air80 however standard tint is worse in my opinion.

Would I do it again, yes. Would I do it again at full price or much more than I paid ..... idk. I might consider ceramic tint if it was similar in price and go a bit darker but the cost was much more when I priced it.

Hope this helps and stay cool out there.

13. Apr 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    Wiggins

Wiggins Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    TRD Sport Hood, ICON 3" Lift - 700lb coils, Total Chaos UCAs 5% Tinted Windows Crystal Front Window Film 2.5 resi shocks front and rear, dakar leaf packs Wheelers Bump Stops All-Pro Offroad APEX Front Plate Bumper, PIAA Fog Lights, PIAA Fog Lights, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad Skid Plates, Black Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Rear Plate Bumper, Side Armor for Plate, Hidden Receiver Hitch, Black All-Pro Offroad APEX Sliders,Line-X All-Pro Offroad APEX Pack Rack, Black Line-X, 16" height ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Hankook Dynapro ATM 285/75/16 Vision Manx 16"x8" rims, 4.5" Backspacing Warn M8000-s Winch, Factor55 Flatlink, Factor55 1" Hawse Fairlead RIGID Industries Ditch Lights Tractor Supply Bed Box 260amp H.O. Alternator Big 3 Cable Replacement NorthStar AGM34 battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage Plefreybilt Fuse Plate BlueSea fuse block Kenwood TS-B2000 Short Wave Radio, Remote face, Pack Rack Mounted Antenna Uniden Bearcat CB Cab Mount Chop (BAMF Inserts) TODO: ARB Air System ARB Rear Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears ARB Front Air Locker w/ 4.88 gears HID Retrofit Headlights Rigid Industries RDS-Series 54" Midnight Edition LED Rigid Industries R2-46 Combo Round Light (x2)
    I have a 2014 Double Cab that came from the factory with the privacy tint on the back side windows as well as the rear.

I had 15% put over the back privacy glass, this was the Lumair Ceramic brand. I also had 5% put on the front driver and passenger windows. I immediately noticed a a big difference in the amount of heat in the cab... but my daily commute has me driving into the morning sun and into the afternoon sun, so most of the heat was hitting me through the front windshield.

I went back and had the front window done in the Lumair 80, and while the sun still punches me right in the face on my commute, I notice that I no longer have to run the A/C in the morning (Florida, here), and in the afternoon I have to run the A/C a lot less (on Lo instead of 3).

I use polarized shades and there is no distortion, with negligible rainbow effect. Outside of this very small rainbow effect with polarized sunglasses on, it was impossible for me to tell the difference from when it was installed to after. If you are worried about 'seeing' the film, then you should not be. I have very good vision and it is not noticeable. The only difference is that it is markedly cooler in my truck cab(about 30 deg. F).

Lumair 80% installed on the entire front windshield with a strip of 5% across the top for $120.
    5% Ceramic tint on front 2 windows with 15% ceramic on the back 3 windows: $200

Total cost for all my tint, including installation: $320 -- Couldn't be happier, would definitely do it again.

Products Discussed in

To Top