1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Load leveling air bags for '12 AC 4X4 V-6

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by helibear, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    helibear

helibear [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 V6
    I am thinking about putting load leveling airbags on my '12 access cab 4X4 V-6 to help out when pulling my 25' pontoon boat. What is the best manufacturer and source for a no-drill, bolt on install of a quality product? I am leaning toward not installing a compressor since I pull the boat only occasionally

2. Jan 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    firestone rite ride air bags FTW. I keep a simple bike pump in the truck, it takes about 5-10 pumps to go from 10psi up to 40psi. i posted a link here somewhere think it was sdtrucksprings.com. they are $259 with free shipping. much cheaper than anywhere else. took about 3 hours to install. no drilling no cutting

here ya go...http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/firestone-2407-ride-rite-air-bag-kit-toyota-tacoma-4wd-2005-2011

i got them this summer for $259 but they have them listed for $289 now.

you can also look into "Air Lift" brand, they are $40-60 cheaper but just dont look as tough and i have not seen any reviews

3. Jan 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    +1 Firestone ride rite air bags

4. Jan 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    Adam Baum

Adam Baum Well-Known Member

Member:
    PCS
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5 debadged
    Amazon may have it cheaper. I bought mine this morning for $270 w/ free shipping. I have a first gen but it is worth looking into.

5. Jan 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    SplitDecision

SplitDecision Phones Ringin Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Haywood Jablowme
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100x4, Truxedo lo pro QT,Hid Retro,2011 painted grill,Alpine head unit,Foglight mod,NFAB steps
    Very happy with my Firestone bags.

6. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    black cx

black cx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    is it recommended to add another leaf with the airbags?

7. Jan 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I also like my Firestone bags. The other brand (Can't remember which) requires drilling I believe.

I just posted this in the other thread in fact:

[​IMG]

8. May 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Equara11

Equara11 Member

Member:
    San Jose, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Dbl. Cab V6
    OME 885x front coils with OME shocks, Driver side coil Trim Packer, 10mm top plate spacers, Light Racing UCA's, 1 inch differential drop, swaybar relocate hardware, carrier bearing drop, rear Bilstein 5100 shocks with 1.5 inch block, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, front windows tinted.
    My 2011 double cab TRD Off Road is running 1 inch blocks with the stock rear springs and OME shocks. I prefer not to remove the blocks. Does anyone know if the Firestone air bags will fit with my current set-up?

9. Jul 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    tyaker

tyaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Leveled, Dakar HD rear leafs, Ride-Rites
    Bump for ^^^
    I've got 2" rear blocks on the 2011 DCLB TRD 4x4 I just bought. Gonna slap some Firestone bags on the rear for hauling/towing. I want to know if there's enough room for the bags, too.

Equara11, lemme know if you find out anything.

10. Jul 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    You guys should be OK to install them with stock springs and lift blocks since the distance from the frame to the center of the spring has not changed. The only concern I'd have is that the shocks do not extend more than factory, as in, 2" block should have a 2" longer shock (fully extended compared to stock fully extended). The shocks are what prevent over-extension and damage to the bags.

11. Jul 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    tyaker

tyaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    :thumbsup: Thanks, landphil. The stock TRD Bilsteins do look a little extended. I"ll probably get a set of 5100's for the rear to make sure I'm not pullin' things apart over time.

12. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    Equara11

Equara11 Member

Member:
    San Jose, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Dbl. Cab V6
    OME 885x front coils with OME shocks, Driver side coil Trim Packer, 10mm top plate spacers, Light Racing UCA's, 1 inch differential drop, swaybar relocate hardware, carrier bearing drop, rear Bilstein 5100 shocks with 1.5 inch block, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, front windows tinted.
    Sorry for the delayed response to your question. Anyhow, I installed the Firestones last weekend and I am more than pleased with the outcome. The truck rides great and is more stable than I imagined it would be. Rough/bouncy type of ride though at times inflated to 15 lbs. You want to maintain at least 5lbs of air in the bags, as they will act as your new bump jousts. So, I will incrementally decrease to 12, 10, and so on....just to see how it rides and to keep the slight lift.
    As landphil said, you will not have a problem with the install based on the center of the springs and the frame distance always being constant. The bolts that accompany the kit are long enough to install on a leaf pack of 4.
    FYI - It took longer than I planned to install, so plan on more than half a day if you will be flying solo. Hope this helps.

13. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    tyaker

tyaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Thanks for the info, Equara. I'll be doing my install in a week or two. You firmed up my choice to go with the Firestones. Good to know about figuring out the best pressure to ride with, I'm mostly going to be using them as a booster for towing/hauling. Just curious, you mentioned some extra lift. How much height did you gain at the highest pressure you filled?

14. Jul 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    Equara11

Equara11 Member

Member:
    San Jose, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Dbl. Cab V6
    Tyaker - The Firestones will perform great for towing/hauling. Pretty much the main reason I bought and installed them.
    The rear of the truck raised about 3/4 of an inch at 15 lbs. (Total of 3 inch rear lift on my truck) Unfortunately, I am noticing a very slight take off shudder a this height. Nothing serious, though.........
    Good luck with the install.

15. Jul 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Yeah the ride rites for the 4x4 are a pain in the ass to install. You need small kid hands. The ones for the 2x4 are way easier to install.

But they work great.

16. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    landphil

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Maybe you guys did, but dropping the spare tire helps a lot when installing.

17. Jul 16, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    I have had the Airlift bags on my frontier before, the ones you need to drill through the frame, and while they were better then no airbags at all - quality wise the riderites are WAY better engineered (no drilling), and the rubber bags are also much thicker and higher quality.

18. Jul 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    Kelly's

Kelly's Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.H.
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCLB Limited 4x4
    does anyone feel the firestone air bags help with taco lean? I'm getting rid of my 10 and picking up 12 sport dcsb thinking of putting these in.

19. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    landphil

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Personally I've never noticed the infamous "Taco Lean", until recently it never got parked on a flat surface, so that might be part of the reason.

That said, there are two ways you can plumb the air lines. The kit comes with two separate schrader valves to allow setting the pressures individually, so you could put a few more psi in one side if you wanted, which should correct lean. Optional is to tee the bags together so both get equal pressure, and would have no effect on lean. The tee is not inluded in the kit.

20. Jul 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    tyaker

tyaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Did you say you tee-bagged your Taco? :D

Products Discussed in

To Top