1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Load Range E tires - too hard?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by andyt11, May 3, 2013.

1. May 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Be careful and get the manufacturer's load/pressure scale.

The load rating on the sidewall is when the tire is inflated to 80psi.
    When lower, that load capacity drops. Like I mentioned to Oz, take a load range C, D, and E tire and inflate them all to 30psi. The load range C tire will actually have the highest load capacity of all three tires.

You can run them down below 20 for floatation off road, but at low pressures, they will create and retain excessive heat from sidewall flex which will shorten their life.

I really wish manufacturers would put a minimum inflation level on the sidewall along with the max. It would eliminate this silliness of inflating LR-E tires to 28psi "because that's what the door sticker says", and it would have gone a long way to prevent or reduce the failures that got Firestone and Ford in hot water.

2. May 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.

of course, but for simplicity its not worth making a 1/2 screen post on
    RC/DC/AC vs
    1000 lb
    2000lb
    3000lb
    4000lb (v6)
    5000lb (v6)
    6499.99lb (v6) and all the detailed testing to match psi to vehicle weight and towing, simply a decent start point.

the load range E rating is almost as high per tire as my truck weighs, no reason to be even close to max load range per tire on a Tacoma with E's

3. May 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    How small is your monitor?
    That was 6 lines plus the line breaks on mine.
    That's what I'm saying... but what you missed is that at the SAME pressure, a load range E tire will have a LOWER load carrying capacity than a load range C or D tire.

The load range E tire is simply overkill on anything smaller than a 3/4 ton truck.

4. May 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    It would seem that way to someone who never had a flat in the boonies on sharp rocks, when its common to carry 2 spares and fixit kits, not saying its you.
    I thought the same way, until my dad n uncle weren't the ones getting flats when we went hunting sometimes hiking or just driving about, I was.

If you don't need them it is likely overkill. but there are rough roads and off road places that will regularly eat up a "C'" range in under 25k. Ever find rocks inside your tire? many people have. I doubt Eastern Oregon is the roughest area too.

5. Jun 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    Operator

Operator Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD SPORT
    SUMITOMO ENCOUNTER AT TIRES 265/65/17
    I run the BF All Terrain KO load range E 265/65/17 and will run them again. Not disappointed at all. I'm over 50,000 km and they are showing minimal wear. The light truck is easy on these tires. Because your on a construction site you'll appreciate the 10 ply 3 ply side wall and really shouldn't run anything but, it's the right tire for the job! Great on dirt, mud and snow. Ice well nothing is good on ice except maybe a studded tire. I've been in some dicey situations from snow covered icy to mud up to my bumper and these tires perform.

6. Jun 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    +1 for the 10 ply vote.

I've used several different 10 ply tires on these trucks and if you want something that can get you confidently over sharp rocks without a flat, go for it. If you are a hwy guy who wants stiffer tires for towing, the C or D rated tires are more than enough if they are available in a tire you want. If not (like in my case) just go for the 10 ply. It's only a couple pounds heavier than a C or D.

7. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    Can you so were this is fact?

Info I found rates tires as extra weight adding the higher weight on the end of the normal weight load.

I don't think the use a total weight / but total PSI to get a load rating.

This is a good scale and read on this page, I also found something like this on a Michelin site.
    I called them some time back and cant remember the base number but I think they said 25 psi min.
    So you divide the weight by the PSI difference like 25 to 35 max then 25 to 80 max or something like that.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=195

This chart here shows the same load carry for the same PSI.
    They also start at 20 psi to max.

I ran load range E on a dodge for several hundred thousand miles.
    The were Michelin tires and at there recommendation ran 50 to 60 normal and 80 towing and loaded carry.

Ran them less for some cases and got 50-70K on the tires with no problems running lighter PSI in the tires.

I'm really thinking about the LTX MS2 E for my next tires due to good luck in the past and talking to them saying it is ok to run 45-50 psi.
    They weigh 7 pounds more per tire. There is only 800 per tire gain on load if you run max PSI.
    44 psi 2601 lbs
    80 psi 3415 lbs
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M%2FS2&partnum=675TR6LTXMS2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Specs
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=195

I started running the stock tires at max and have had better control, higher MPG not towing, and they ride better plus wear flat.
    Only change was the PSI, and it fixed the tire wear problems I was having on the stock POS tires.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  8. Jun 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Their chart is given as an example and not of a specific tire or group of tires. It also refers to "SL" vs "XL" tires, which are not light truck tires.
    Every tire's PSI/Load chart will be different.

Granted, a (reasonably) "underinflated" E tire is still going to be more than adequate for a Tacoma. It's just something to be aware of under harsher conditions such as towing.

9. Jun 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    The simple is this, as a starting point, weight rating will vary. The load range C will be 2600 lb at 50 psi. The load E is 3200lb at 80 psi.

At 30 neither is at max capacity, also there is no data at 30 for both to verify, but the load E will still have a slight load advantage by construction, 200-400lb hard to tell.
    An E rated tire only needs to be at 50 psi roughly to equal the same 2600lb rating of the C tire, so 50-80 cover the remaining 500lb. also it on a lighter truck than the E is usually used on, just consider that as free safety factor.

Keep in mind the 29psi recommended psi for my truck and stock tires for normal driving has (had, I'm on E now) a 50 psi max. So at normal "Tacoma" pressures neither tire are at their max rating.

The intent of the E's are just extra plies/durability only, not extra load capacity. I don't see a need or reason to exceed 50-55psi on the Es when put on a Tacoma.

found this link, it might help correlate the relationships of range and psi....

http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf

10. Jun 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    That sounds correct to me other then most E rated are 3400-3450

And your point along with that chart show the Carry weight are about the same per PSI in range, saying that at 50psi a C, D, and E are about the same.

The statement someone else said the lighter C will hold more weight at the lighter PSI then an E.
    Can't go along with that.

It also goes 25 psi to 80psi as I was told before.

Products Discussed in

To Top