1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locker AND stock auto LSD - Curious for overland build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DanoDavis, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Jul 22, 2017 at 1:37 PM
    DanoDavis

DanoDavis [OP] Alright meow

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Allen Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab 4x4 6-Speed V6
    1 1/2" lift with 5100's, custom exhaust, LT Headers, URD CAI, URD MAF Calibrator, Electric fan, Camper shell, retrofit projectors, and other goodies..
    So, I've decided to take my truck build down the long trail (pun intended) of the Overland route.
    Looking at lockers. Gonna get one for the rear first, but was curious how the front diff operates with Auto LSD engaged. I've already down the yellow(? Can't remember what it was called?) mod, so the auto LSD work in all 3 drive modes. With the rear end locked, no slippage would be occurring, so no LSD to be activated, is my thought. What about the front end, with the rear locked, it shouldn't have any adverse effects, right? Should still limit wheel spin, albeit minimally, as it's nowhere near as good as true LSD.

Just curious. Plan was to eventually lock both front and rear, but was planning on rear first, due to costs, unless I can find a smokin' deal on a kit for the pair.
    Probably go with an ARB air, but I do like the idea of an electric locker, if I can get my hands on one- probably no cheaper than an air, though.

2. Jul 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    it will function just as if there was no locker and there was no difference in spin between both rear tires but one front tire was stopped. It will work just fine. (same principle as the MUUUUUCH better atrac, which works on the front beautifully with the rear end locked)

DanoDavis[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    DanoDavis

DanoDavis [OP] Alright meow

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Allen Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab 4x4 6-Speed V6
    1 1/2" lift with 5100's, custom exhaust, LT Headers, URD CAI, URD MAF Calibrator, Electric fan, Camper shell, retrofit projectors, and other goodies..
    Awesome.
    When I was looking for my truck, I required a stick shift, and 4x4, and double cab.
    Could only find two in all of texas. Colorado and California had some 09+ TRD-OR, but for a hefty, well-inflated price tag.
    Figured, for the price difference, I can build this truck to my specs. Would LOVE to have ATRAC, though. My buddy has it in his Taco, and MAN.. that truck can climb up a tree.

Products Discussed in

To Top