1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locker Anytime Mod for Dummies 2005+

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jsi, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Mar 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    Tyson

Tyson $Mr.T$

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyson
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    15' TRD off road, dbl, 6spd, 4.0L
    All-Pro UCA Stage 4 Icon lift redline hood struts interior dome and map LED lights 2 spot led pods (ditch lights) flush mount rear back up flood pods hood and bed LED lights GPS anytime mod RTMR electrical system (relays fuses etc.) weather tech floor mats anytime fog lights bixenon headlights and fogs ABS off switch anytime rear e-locker 30" OSRAM light bar (in grill) ARB CKMTA12 compressor ARB front locker Rock sliders all-pro Apex coming later: Doug Thorley long tube headers Y pipe Exhaust
    Is this relay not the right one? Light on relay comes on, but nothing happens (no locker)

tmp_8103-20160305_193152-2100944574.jpg

2. Mar 5, 2016 at 6:53 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    It looks right. Your flash hides some lettering but it should be Jqx-13f. Which I think yours is.

So I'd double check you have all the right wires and have them in the right spots.

3. Mar 5, 2016 at 7:07 PM
    Tyson

Tyson $Mr.T$

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyson
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    All-Pro UCA Stage 4 Icon lift redline hood struts interior dome and map LED lights 2 spot led pods (ditch lights) flush mount rear back up flood pods hood and bed LED lights GPS anytime mod RTMR electrical system (relays fuses etc.) weather tech floor mats anytime fog lights bixenon headlights and fogs ABS off switch anytime rear e-locker 30" OSRAM light bar (in grill) ARB CKMTA12 compressor ARB front locker Rock sliders all-pro Apex coming later: Doug Thorley long tube headers Y pipe Exhaust
    Same color to number as listed?

4. Mar 5, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    tacabode

tacabode Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Looks like a 28 volt relay (difficult to tell though) if it is, the 12 volts your truck supplies might not be enough to close the contractor, meaning it won't work.

5. Mar 5, 2016 at 8:09 PM
    tacabode

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Also, there's a difference between DC and ac. You need a 12 volt DC relay. Check out some of the previous posts

6. Mar 5, 2016 at 8:57 PM
    Tyson

Tyson $Mr.T$

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyson
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Anyone have an Amazon link to the correct relay?

7. Mar 6, 2016 at 9:17 AM
    jsi

jsi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    This one should work, http://amzn.com/B008MPKF4Q I've compared the inputs and outputs with the RadioShack relay and they appear to be the same, but without having one in hand I can't guarantee it.

(rant) - RadioShack could have pwn3d the maker market. Instead they sell cell phones on a 3rd tier network, trying to compete with every mall kiosk in the world. And now they are all but out of business - serves them right. (/rant)

Tyson[QUOTED] and Thelgord like this.
  8. Mar 6, 2016 at 12:49 PM
    Tyson

Tyson $Mr.T$

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyson
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Thanks

9. Mar 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM
    tacabode

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Perfect! :thumbsup:

10. Mar 6, 2016 at 7:59 PM
    Rattlejay65

Rattlejay65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.R.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I bought the relay today from RadioShack. I think it was the 2750218 if I recall from memory. I hope that's the right one too! I hope to be doing this mod tomorrow. Weather permitting.

11. Apr 30, 2016 at 7:05 AM
    ISLANDJIM

ISLANDJIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Off Road
    So, the purpose of this mod is not quite clear to me. The stock configuration of the locker control limits the use to only 2wd low? Does the stock setup also limit the speed you can use it in. Know that the manual instructs you to not use the locker at speeds over 5 mph and that you are supposed to be stopped to lock and unlock the locker. But in stock configuration, are you saying its okay to go 25mph with the locker engaged off road in 4wd low?

I understand that the mod allows continuous use of the locker in 4wd low and high. Does it allow in 2wd high also?

This looks like an interesting mod would be interested in doing this to my 2015. Thanks for any replies.

12. Apr 30, 2016 at 7:23 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    With the mod you can turn the locker on in 2H 4H and 4L. You can go as fast as you want locked in 2H or 4H, just remember you are locked when you go to turn ;). In 4L I generally don't go over 10mph, Low is not geared to be fast...

13. Apr 30, 2016 at 7:27 AM
    ISLANDJIM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Off Road
    Right I got that.
    Just wondering if stock configuration limits your speed in 2wd low, and ya 2wd low is not very fast.

14. Apr 30, 2016 at 7:33 AM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm not following, stock configuration the locker is only allowed to be engaged in 4L. And if you're wanting to go fast why would you want to be in 2L?

Edit: are you a 4x4 off-road or 4x2 off-road?

15. Apr 30, 2016 at 7:56 AM
    ISLANDJIM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Off Road
    Am 4x4, ya not wanting to go fast in 4wd low, just wanted to know if the stock setup disengaged or limited speed or something...guess its a silly question. I accidentally hit the locker button when I first got the truck and was trying to put on the fog lights at 65 mph. The lights on the dash kept flashing and I finally figured out I was hitting the wrong button. They must have something to prevent engagement at high speeds. This mod doesn't modify that safety mechanism according to the poster above who did the same thing after the mod.

It is a really good mod it seems. I like. Have only had limited slip rear ends before so this would be different for me. Seems like a great way to drive off road in the soft stuff especially.

16. Apr 30, 2016 at 9:01 AM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    I haven't done the mod myself and I can't really see a practical need for it. If I am in a situation where I feel I will need the locker, I am most likely already in 4L with the A-Trac engaged, and honesty this has never failed to work. I have engaged the locker twice since I purchased the truck and both of those where just to test it out. I think of my locker as a last resort option.

I just can't see a situation where it would be practical. If you are on a trail and need the locker, you most likely need to be in at least 4H as well. If you are already in 4H you can't engage A-Trac or the locker, so in this situation it is a maybe, or maybe you are going to fast for the trail conditions and you should probably switch 4L anyway, which opens up A-Trac and the locker.

17. Apr 30, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    Oh ok I understand, yeah from the factory they have a safety built in so it can only engage while in 4L this mod bypasses that and now the locker can be engaged at anytime at any speed. Although some guys have installed a kill switch as a safety.

18. Jun 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    Can confirm that Radio Shack 12VDC DPDT Relay part number 2750043 works perfectly.
    Thanks OP!

Norton likes this.
  19. Jun 11, 2016 at 1:48 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Bought the relay weeks ago. Gotta' find time to install...

EDDO likes this.
  20. Jun 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM
    belrose

belrose Active Member

Member:
    North end of Toledo Bend Lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    3'' pro comp lift with pro comp wheels and 285/70/17 Toyo A/T II open country
    can't wait to get this done :benchpress:got my relay ordered, lots of good ideas around here

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
To Top