1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lockers?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mh.meier, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mar 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    mh.meier

mh.meier [OP] PB MIKE Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    MAD MIKE
    Flagstaff AZ
    Vehicle:
    Truck Norris Silver Unicornimus Prime
    2008 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 SR5 -Pelfreybilt Steel front 3-hoop bumper(soon to be single hoop CM) -Rigid 20" SR series light bar -Rigid Dually D2 Flood pods -KM FABRICATION custom 1/4" steel bumper mounts -Pelfreybilt Rear HI-Clearance bumper with swingout -NATO can carrier -Folding Aluminum table -RIGID SRQ reverse lights -Full Pelfreybilt skids -ARB air compressor under the hood -KMFAB Custom ext brake line brackets -KMFAB Bedrack -Camping Lab MANSION RTT -ARB 6' Awning -KMFAB bed reinforcement -AVID Offroad weld on slider -BAMF Bed corner tie down brackets -Custom chopped front fenders -OTTRAW switches -Icons Ext Travel front CO's -King 700# coils -Camburg Uni-ball UCA's -Sway-A-Way 2.0 rear shocks -All-pro Expo LEaf packs w/ custom bumps -35" Goodyear Wrangler MTR's w/ Kevlar -16" SCS SR8's in Black -Custom Retrofits -Smoked Tails -Flare-less mod -AFE ProForce Magnum CAI (went back to stock) -Cobra 29LX CB with PA and the fixins' -KMFAB CB antenna mounts -Pioneer in dash DVD with Nav -Weathertech mats
    Hey guys, I know there are a bunh of posts with certain info about lockers in them. I have Google searched and looked on here and cant find too much in one spot. I have an SR5 4X4 and I would like to get a locker since it doesnt currently have anything in that department. What I would like to know is what locker I should get, the pros and cons and how hard it is too install. I like the ARB Air locker but its freakin pricey. Any info would be great. Thanks a lot guys.

2. Mar 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    mh.meier

Member:
    First Name:
    MAD MIKE
    Flagstaff AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 SR5 -Pelfreybilt Steel front 3-hoop bumper(soon to be single hoop CM) -Rigid 20" SR series light bar -Rigid Dually D2 Flood pods -KM FABRICATION custom 1/4" steel bumper mounts -Pelfreybilt Rear HI-Clearance bumper with swingout -NATO can carrier -Folding Aluminum table -RIGID SRQ reverse lights -Full Pelfreybilt skids -ARB air compressor under the hood -KMFAB Custom ext brake line brackets -KMFAB Bedrack -Camping Lab MANSION RTT -ARB 6' Awning -KMFAB bed reinforcement -AVID Offroad weld on slider -BAMF Bed corner tie down brackets -Custom chopped front fenders -OTTRAW switches -Icons Ext Travel front CO's -King 700# coils -Camburg Uni-ball UCA's -Sway-A-Way 2.0 rear shocks -All-pro Expo LEaf packs w/ custom bumps -35" Goodyear Wrangler MTR's w/ Kevlar -16" SCS SR8's in Black -Custom Retrofits -Smoked Tails -Flare-less mod -AFE ProForce Magnum CAI (went back to stock) -Cobra 29LX CB with PA and the fixins' -KMFAB CB antenna mounts -Pioneer in dash DVD with Nav -Weathertech mats
    And also, is ARB the only one you can turn off and on?

3. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Let me start with the disclaimer; I'm no expert! However I did order an ARB rear locker for my 2010 Sport from the recent TW group buy. I do believe that the only switchable locker available for your truck is the ARB, others are automatic lockers. You will hear from guys who have the auto lockers and love them and I certainly can't speak for or against them but I wanted switch ability. Your higher cost is in part due to the need for an air compressor and plumbing.

Mine is still in transit, so as far as ease of installation, the verdict is still out. In talking to Brandon from Bytor Trucks, he makes it sound as if it's fairly straight forward with an average level of mechanical ability, this is however without the installation of an aftermarket gear job. He says that's a bit more complicated. I guess it comes down to your knowledge and exposure to this type of rear end work. I've never done this but I believe it's within my ability. Check out the group buy thread and poke some of the guys who are going to be installing this stuff, you’ll get plenty of help. Good luck.

4. Mar 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I understand that the Toyota e-locker takes some modification to the diff housing to get it installed unless you have a Tacoma Off Road, and never heard of ox-locker went and googled them but it looks like they aren't made for Toyota from what I can tell. Like Turd said, plenty of info here and other Toyota forums.

5. Mar 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    mh.meier

Member:
    First Name:
    MAD MIKE
    Flagstaff AZ
    Vehicle:
    I need a selectable I gues since its my DD, but I am only looking for a rear right now, I dont have the funds for both. I do have enough for the ARB but I was trying not to get that expensive. I have driven a Taco with a locker and also one with LSD and I like the locker except when you cant turn it off. It definitely helped a lot. I know it will too with my DCLB ince it is already a bitch to take up certain things. I appreciate all your guys' help with everything. I dont know if it would be benificial to just regear or get a locker or both. I can only find info on certain applications and I would just like to know whts the best way to help my set up.

6. Mar 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    mh.meier

Member:
    First Name:
    MAD MIKE
    Flagstaff AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man, I really like the ARB and I have the funds but I need other parts too. I still need sliders and skids and the ARB will soak up the funds. I wish the was a bigger market for selectable lockers, but then again, I wont go cheap with my weapons, I shouldnt with my truck either.

7. Mar 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I have ARBs at both ends and I regeared. This is not a place to cut corners because the cost of going back and redoing it is way too great.

8. Mar 10, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Here's a question I can't remember if I ever asked but I'm asking it now...

Let's say you have a TRD Sport with a 2" lift and you're considering getting a locker but you can only afford EITHER the front or the rear. Which would you get?

9. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    If you want a locker and want to do it right for a daily driver, as mentioned the ARB will be the easist way to go, and probably the best way to go. Expensive, but so is anything worth a shit...
    Other then that, going thru the whole rear end swap, electronic deal with a stock e-locker rear end would end up "factory" if done right, but a lot more time and money. Also, you could argue that a non locker rear end equipped with a ARB locker is a stronger rear end, and a better set up, especially if you upgrade the air compressor option for on board air needs. :cool:

10. Mar 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Why? What's the justification? I'm curious what the reasoning is. I've been thinking about it lately.

11. Mar 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    mh.meier

Member:
    First Name:
    MAD MIKE
    Flagstaff AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks a lot PSJ. I think I am going to go ARB. Would I be able to install it? It's already so expensive I would gate to pay a shit ton for labor. I do like the ability to have on board air needs too though.

12. Mar 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I've considered the ARB simply because it would give me a good excuse to do an onboard air system. That way when I leave the trail I can fill up the tires immediately and don't ahve to drive a ways.

13. Mar 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    It's because the locker adversely affects steering. There are circumstances where using it causes more trouble than not. A rear locker is more often a benefit. A front locker can cause complete lose of control on the street when driving in ice. With an open diff, even if one wheel spins the other is not, so the truck retains some grip. If the locker causes both wheels to break traction, the front of the vehicle is completely loose. No directional control. It can happen at the back end too, but with less severe results.

IMO, the need for a selectable rear locker can be debated. Where a front locker is concerned, I would not use anything but a fully selectable unit like an ARB. My front ARB gets damn little use. I've been using the double ARBs in vehicles for about 15 years. The ability to select has resulted in me using them less and less.

There are circumstances where a front locker would be a better choice over a rear. It gives you the same benefits that FWD offers over RWD. Generally though, the rear locker is a better first choice for all around use.

14. Mar 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    Will a locker install in the LS rear, or is a new carrier needed. If so, my choice is to eventually go selectable in the front. I'm happy with the LS in the rear, but I haven't wheeled the Toy alot.

I did have lockers front and rear in a 1-ton Blazer, and it is definitely terrifiing on snowy/icy roads. A rear locker can be just as scarey on the slippery roads too. Even when the front is unlocked, steering is a bitch on slippery surfaces, the locker just doesn't want to differentiate.

As far as steering goes, selectability up front is a must unless all you do is race in the mud!

15. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    BIGchar33597

BIGchar33597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    char
    Sumter Co. Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5
    Some, still working getting new one's and redoing old one's...
    It's been a few months so any update yet b/c I'm in the same boat...

To Top