1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking gas door nightmare

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Beefed Taco, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco [OP] Taco Vending Machine Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    I found out the hard way that the keyed gas door locks are for looks only and just a visual deterrent for a thief. There's a plastic piece on the key cylinder that can break if the door is pulled on. I broke one on a customers truck and was forced to use the one from my 99. I then broke the second one while installing it onto the key cylinder. :facepalm:

A simple run to the salvage yard should be the cure...wrong. Nothing. A call to dealer and I discover a new one is $80! Ouch! I end up buying one for the customer's truck and now I have a truck with a gas door that can flop around.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Rincon, GA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Yep...but don't the Tacomas have screens that prevent siphoning?

3. Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    Stonewall Jackson, '96 Xtracab, rebuilt motor
    Full rebuild short of machine work, mean green motherfucker! Lime green block, hand-polished valve cover, and stickers! Too broke for real mods right now. Stonewall is my baby, but he's also a work truck.
    Mine doesn't.

4. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab TRD 5MT sunfire red pearl
    About 25 pounds of spray paint and vinyl dye
    Beefed Taco">
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVDDxoKBk4

5. BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    All of the vehicles have a design in the tank inlet itself to prevent siphoning. It is not in the filler neck, it is at the tank itself.

6. Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    haha

I hate new clever inventions that are one day going to screw me when I need to siphon gas from my own vehicle. :mad: Old trucks for me please.

UPDATE: I've come to the conclusion I like my gas door better this way compared to when I had to bring a key out with me. It's 100 times easier. Just open door & fill up. Plus it never opens on it's own, but then I haven't cornered hard to the right yet either.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  7. tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, stock gears, stock-size tires, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, CB
    Mine is broken, too. Was when I bought it. The previous owner likely had a gasoline theft attempt. The key cylinder is still there, so thieves would think that its locked. Now I just use a rubber band to hold it closed. Works for me.

8. Beefed Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    yeah I use nothing, hasn't opened yet. Has the key slot so it looks locked. I like it better compared to when I had to use a key but I'll keep searching the yard for the plastic piece I need.

9. OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and l
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Why not just get a locking gas cap? The Murray caps at O'Reilly's work great... mines been on for 4 years now with zero issues.

To Top