1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking Leer From Inside

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by v1ndictiv3, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jan 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    v1ndictiv3

v1ndictiv3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    '98 PreRunner Xtra Cab 2.7L
    Mostly stock: AFE Pro Dry S Filter, Bedrug, Leer Shell, 265/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler RT, Husky Liners, Wet Okole seat covers... Powertrax No-Slip in the near future =)
    OK, so sometimes I sleep in the bed of my taco and I would like to lock my shell when I'm inside. I have one of those leer shells with two T handles and there's mesh on the side windows so I can't lock by reaching through the windows. I'm thinking of using a dowel to wedge locks in place or a rope to secure locking bars together to make opening the shell more difficult. I know at best anything I do will only buy me a little bit of time if something happens but I'd like the little extra security. Any ideas on how to secure locks from within? Thanks.

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Locking is kind of pointless, even locked they are very easy to get into if someone really wants to.

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:42 AM
    nermalgod

nermalgod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    How about a Padlock hasp, similar to what is used on a garden shed mounted to the inside. Instead of a padlock, just use a carabiner.

I sleep in the back too, but my shell has an electronic lock that I conected to my door locks. I use the key fob to lock myself in.

4. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:58 AM
    Truckn4life

Truckn4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    hope your battery doesnt die on you. Don forget to turn off that night light!

5. Jan 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    If you have two handles (one on each side), have you tried positioning a set of vise-grips so the handle can't be turned? If you have one handle in the center position, you might try a cable style bike lock from the handle to the tie-down in the corner of the bed.

6. Jan 25, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    nermalgod

nermalgod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    There's a handle on the inside. No need to unlock thee truck to exit.

7. Jan 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'd run a cable or rope from the inside handle to the bed tie down. Could even use a bungee cord. For added security, get an NRA sticker for the back window and make the investment and get a conceal/carry permit.:D

8. Jan 25, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    Hoyle

Hoyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cookeville TN.
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 Black
    A lot of stuff.
    maybe you need to deal with you sleepwalking issue rather than lock yourself inside..

trying to be funny...

9. Jan 25, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    v1ndictiv3

v1ndictiv3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    '98 PreRunner Xtra Cab 2.7L
    Mostly stock: AFE Pro Dry S Filter, Bedrug, Leer Shell, 265/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler RT, Husky Liners, Wet Okole seat covers... Powertrax No-Slip in the near future =)
    Haha... You all crack me up. Ok, so

@magog45: I know that, but I just want something to buy me a little extra time in case someone tries to get into the back when I'm sleeping in it

@nermalgod: I thought about that and I think it'd work well for the tailgate but not for the window (where would I mount it on glass?)

@derekp: I haven't thought about that, not really at least. I was thinking about something like C clamps, but I'll check into it. And yeah I have the handle on each side.

@pugga: That would be great, but I have no tie downs because my bed is lined with bedrug (which I love). I think I might be able to tie to where the camper is bolted down, but the locking mechanisms swivel up, so I think simply running some rope or 550 paracord around both levers and tie-ing them together (under the locks so if either is turned there's always tension and they won't move) would be best. All I'm really looking for is some preventative means. Oh, and I live in CA so a conceal carry permit is pretty much out of the question unless I move out to boonies. =( With that said though, there's some campsites which I don't need a permit to carry so in those situations it'd work well. =)

Hoyle: Gave me a good laugh. Lol.

Thanks all. Think I'm gonna experiment with some sort of clamping device and rope to see what's easiest to fashion and holds up best.

Cheers.

Products Discussed in

To Top