1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking lug nuts and wheel balancing

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bigburrito, May 13, 2010.

1. May 13, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    bigburrito

bigburrito [OP] Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    I took the liberty of weighing my Toyota brand locking lug nuts, comparing them to the regular lug nuts. Locking weigh .2 of an ounce LESS than regular.

Question: could .2 oz be enough to throw off wheel balancing? especially considering the weight offage being so close to the axle (which would reduce its effects)?

Background: im getting vibes in the steering wheel/ front end at speeds of around 55 and higher. got tires spin balanced on Friday, and alignment done yesterday. still have the vibes.

so next steps will be: add .2 oz lead tape to each locking lug nut, test.
    then if that fails, road force balance. if that fails, anyone down for a tire fire?

2. May 13, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    your profile says you haven't installed your lift...you said you got it aligned, does that mean that it's now installed? what are the alignment #s, lift amount, and do you have new UCAs? i have the same problem as you, but i think my wheels need rebalancing, i think i threw a weight.

3. May 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    bigburrito

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    nah, lift is still not on, i want to get this vibe problem resolved before i tackle the lift and possibly more/different vibes. one thing at a time to try and minimize the headaches.

alignment #s are spot on for caster, camber, toe. dead in the middle of MFG specs.

this seems to be a common problem from all the searching ive done- (the vibes at ~55 and up). im 99% sure its the tires out of balance, but i want to eliminate everything else before i go sit thru another balancing job.

4. May 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    hmm, i'm out of ideas then. i would think that the locking nut weight difference is not enough, considder when you had a rock stuck in your tread at higher speeds. the rock more than likely weighs more than .2 oz. and is further away from the center yet it doesn't give you vibes...just an anoying click,click,click lol. it couldn't hurt to try the lead tape idea though.

one thing you could look into is mud/dirt in the wheels. i had some mud dry nin the inside of my wheels once, and it was enough to throw off the ballance. hosed it right out and the vibe went away. couldn't hurt to check the inside of your wheels for any debris.

5. May 13, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    When they balance a wheel, don't they use only a cone shaped adapter to hold the wheels in the spin balance vs lug nuts?

6. May 13, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Lugs are so close to the center, I doubt they would make a difference. First thing should be balance on a Hunter machine. That machine will fix your problem or tell you why they're not balancing if it's tire/wheel related.

7. May 14, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    bigburrito

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    well i decided not to mess with the lead tape since the weight diff is so small and so close to the center.

i went back to the source and had them balance the 2 fronts again. (thankfully i have lifetime balancing) turns out the front left was off by .75 oz, so the guy who balanced em last Friday was apparently distracted by the awesomeness of my Tacoma.

Lesson: dont leave until you see green on the balancing machine. also do not accept tire shops B.S. that "oh you have mud tires, those never balance anyways"
    They DO balance, you just have to be persistent and annoying enough.

Im happy I got this shit squared away so I can start in on this lift! One thing at a time..

8. May 14, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    bigburrito

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    im still wondering though, why would Toyota make locking lugs that weigh different from the regular lugs. at super high speeds or high performance vehicles with light wheels, i bet that .2 of an oz would start making a noticable difference.

9. Sep 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    Tacoma Phx

Tacoma Phx New Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 4door LB
    Why, because Toyota doesn't give a S#%T or they would have put on locking lugs, locking spare and a locking gas cap.

As far as your lugs, this is from Toyota's site: "Each locking lug nut matches the dimensions and weight — and functions exactly the same — as a stock lug nut. Plus Genuine Toyota wheel locks are weight-matched to the stock lug nut, eliminating the need to rebalance your wheels following installation."

Come on, it's 2011 and they do not make a locking gas cap because of some stupid sensor light???? WTF, did I just go back to 1964? I have had one on all my prior Toyotas. Why not the 2011's?? What changed in the world of technology??? And the same for tailgates. They are a hot theft item if they have a camera in the. Even the ones without. Anything metal is being stolen. And once again, Toyota does not sell the locking tailgate after the fact. Wy is removable anyway. These trucks are not exactly built to tow a 5th wheel.

I have owned 9 Toyota's. This will probably be the last. Competition has caught and passed them. The are under powered, get crap gas mileage, and who needs a 6 disc CD changer? Yet they do not have a USB plug in the radio. Toyota is OVERRATED.

10. Sep 5, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    welcome.......wow,nice first post to.:rant:

11. Sep 5, 2011 at 5:19 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    But yet after knowing all this before your purchase you still bought it.

:facepalm:

Products Discussed in

To Top