1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking rear axle swap

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DigB, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Aug 30, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    DigB

DigB [OP] Go Jets GO!!!!!!

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    Air Freshener mod
    Is it easy or inexpensive to get a rear TRD axle installed in a non TRD Truck? It comes with the ECU and everything.

I have an 03 Extra Cab and I found a rear axle out of a 2000 4 Runner, would it fit in my truck?

2. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer/KG7VFU

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    the Pacific Northwest, Exploring
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    King ET Coilovers Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate Trail Gear U-bolt Flip Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker OBA ARB Twin Comp 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights Lightforce 170s Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Optima Yellow Top battery Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I have no idea on the electronics side of the problem but I do know that all the suspension mounts will be different on the 4runner axle. For one, those have coils instead of leafs. So you'd likely have to build spring perches on the axle tube, shackle mounts and front spring mounts on the frame.

The overall hub to hub width will be similar though likely not identical. 16" stock Tacoma alloy wheels should mount on that axle with no issues, the offset might be slightly different.

Overall, probably not as difficult as doing an SAS. I am betting that this has been done many times before.

3. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    DigB

DigB [OP] Go Jets GO!!!!!!

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    Air Freshener mod
    well unfortunately that sounds like a little too much work for this guy so I might just go the way of an aftermarket locker like a powertrax no slip and then buy a TRD OR 2nd gen when funds are available!

4. Aug 31, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 220k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, sliders, rear tube bumper, King coilovers with Icon neoprene condoms and a defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs/N85 shocks/NWOR greasable mounting stuff; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W fog lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor; 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions/dif drop, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder
    Buy an aftermarket locker instead.

5. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I don't think it would be difficult electrically to integrate, not much to it other than getting power to the acuator/servo to engage/disengage
    via the button you'd have to install but I'd look for a TRD axle approx. to your year truck, FROM a truck not 4runner, but be forewarned, guys are really looking for the TRD Elocker so prices are at a premium, after market may be the way you want to go (ARB setup is great but too pricy for my taste) Auburn, Detroit are options but if you take a little time & keep your eyes open you can find the stock TRD axle, I saw one less than a week ago on Craigs for $ 900.00 OBO, probably gone by now though..... good luck....:cool:

6. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    I would think that you may be just a well off to just buy a lock rite or a power trax. Probably be alot cheaper and alot less of a headache to install.

I have rode in a few trucks with this lockers in stalled and they seemed to work very smoothly

To Top