1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking rear Diferential Question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Forrest, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    Bird

Bird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vail, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport
    Ski season is over almost everywhere. I would wait until you are settled in with the new job, neighborhood, house/ apt, etc before making a big purchase. There are a lot of weekend warriors in Denver who head to the mountains several times a month. There are also lots who never make it west of Golden. Not saying you are necessarily in either camp, but given the time of year I would wait to determine how often you can realistically make it to the mountains before buying a new car.

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I have never not needed the extra traction with my LSD.

3. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    I was referring to the Mech. LSD in 05-08 tacoma's. I have never experienced the auto/brake controlled LSD. Just seems like LSD would help when moving from a complete stop on the ice instead of the pass. rear tire spinning. Although some of the older fords I have owned had Mech. LSD and when it kicked in on icy grades due to a downshift, the backend would tend to slide out.

This pickup does great in ice and snow when 4x4 is engaged, but most 4x4's do.

4. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    Bird

Bird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vail, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport

That said, people might give you funny looks when they realize you drive a 4x2 pickup. I seriously didn't know they existed til I went to college in Boulder and started making friends from socal. Not saying they're bad, I had just literally never seen one.

5. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    only the auto LSD POS...real mechanical LSDs cannot be turned off

6. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Forrest

Forrest [OP] New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    I'll definitly be in the mountains, Not looking to by my 4x4 tomorrow but, was thinking if i'm going to be an ARB on i'd want to do it before i headed west.

7. Apr 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  8. Apr 29, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    [​IMG]

9. Apr 29, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    I wouldn't turn into an ARB before going to Denver, you might get some funny looks:)
    But seriously don't put the locker on your truck if you expect to be using it to get around in the mountains, at highway speeds...you wont have a truck past next winter. Keep the truck and get a CHEAP lil AWD car or 4x4 pickup and rally that around. OR, trade in what ya got and get a newer 4x4. <<OR>>, buy some good studded snow tires, have chains and know how to use them, and get some sandbags and put them in bed over rear differential. That last option would work fairly well.

10. Apr 29, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    I'll take reasonable offers on my truck :D. Got my eye on another Yota.

Dont be offended if I laugh at possible offers.

11. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    it got me over rocks while in 2wd, but i'd still rather have the mechanical LSD.

12. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    sports are only for street...remember....

13. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
  14. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    it's quite the predicament.

15. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    I think having my 4x2 off road with the rear locker has caused me to get myself into more trouble than it has ever gotten me out of. Don't do it man.

16. Apr 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Have any experience with the "auto LSD"? I would say the current system is probably at its best on the road conditions mentioned above, snow, and ice on roads, etc. Never lived in cold weather envrionments, but how the system works it should be ideal in these conditions. But outside of these conditions, I have used the auto LSD in unusual situations and it works. I remember the first time I used it, I had just dropped the boat at the local ramp just after I bought the truck. Then, as I let the clutch out and try to pull off the ramp, all the truck did was slide, backwards! I am thinking, as I do this a couple of times not making any forward progress, I am going to roll my new truck back into the river! Then, I remember this "LSD system" the truck has, I push the button as my rear tires are resting on the water's edge, and the truck crawls without the slightest tire slip off the ramp, just like being in 4L. Trust me, the system works, and in bad weather on, rainy, icy, snowy roads, the system will control the vehicle to help avoid any sliding around w/out the 4x4 or LSD on... overall an upgrade to safety compared to the older models, and if the OP upgraded to a 09 or above 4x4 he would have the best of both worlds...:D

17. Apr 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    To PSJ, I had an 07 sport and now have an 09 sport...so I have experience with both

18. Apr 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You mod bro ?

19. Apr 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    LOL that video had me cracking up. That was with an empty trailer too lol and the ramp wasn't even that steep. We have ramps around here that are way steeper.

One of the many reasons to buy a 4x4. Even if you don't use it 99% of the time. That 1% when you need it, it's only a switch away to keep you from looking like a jackass.

20. Apr 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I was feeling the embarrassment, and my local ramp is much steeper then the ramp in the video. But as I mentioned my truck was spinning its wheels going backwards, until I tried the "auto LSD" for the first time, and it made my truck crawl off that ramp with the stock dunlops and no tire slip, and it felt more like 4x4 low vs a typical mechanical LSD. It was a wierd feeling as the truck controlled brake and engine speed, but it worked. Put it this way, if this is all you counted on off road, you may be in trouble. But in bad on road conditions, it controls the vehicle's desire to slide around with the engine/brake control at all four wheels, which makes it safer to drive. But it can get you out of a ditch at times, or off the slippery ramp, as well as give the added safety on road in bad conditions, so I argue its more of a good thing vs what many say is a inferior option to the past! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top