1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking rear?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by StormTrooper, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Nov 23, 2010 at 12:49 AM
    StormTrooper

StormTrooper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Flowmaster Super 44 w/ K&N drop in
    Bed Cap,K&N Air Filter,Chrome Pieces,Flowmaster Exhaust,Neon on inside, Heavy Duty Custom Floormats ( Tacoma ), Tint 20%, Blue license plate lights, Various decals, LED Projector Halos headlights, JVC head unit stereo
    My friend said he would install a locking rear on my truck so i can have two wheels spin... instead of a one tire fire. what all would i need to do this?

2. Nov 23, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    zonataco

zonataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like a good question for your friend.

3. Nov 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    A bit of money (1000 or so range for parts and what not) and some understanding about what a locked rear end means.

If you only trying to get better burnouts....I would think long and hard about it.

4. Nov 23, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
  5. Nov 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non

x2- Make sure he knows what he is doing or you can get into trouble. the gears are not a place to skimp, if they are set up good they will be great but if they are not you will have blown the money and still have to redo the work. JOE>

P.S. You will need a master rebuild kit, axle seals (if not in the kit you get) gear oil of your chosing, rtv silicone gasket maker (I like to use black b/c it looks clean) as well as the new carrier (which is the locking unit you mentioned), and if you want to regear then this is the time to do it.

6. Nov 24, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    StormTrooper

StormTrooper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Flowmaster Super 44 w/ K&N drop in
    Bed Cap,K&N Air Filter,Chrome Pieces,Flowmaster Exhaust,Neon on inside, Heavy Duty Custom Floormats ( Tacoma ), Tint 20%, Blue license plate lights, Various decals, LED Projector Halos headlights, JVC head unit stereo
    He actually knows what he's doing on cars... and the only advantage would be for snow.. because last year we had the Snow-pocalypse. and i couldnt go anywhere, it was just a thought

Products Discussed in

To Top