1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lockings hubs making noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dc1987, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Nov 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    dc1987

dc1987 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 Cyl 4x4
    31" tires
    hi im new to this forum thing so i thought i would give it a try. i have a 99 taco and i love it. but i have a problem. about a month ago when i lock in my hubs my truck starts vibrating at about 40 mph not too bad though just enough to be annoying. when i put them in free there isnt any vibration. ive been told it could possibly be the bearings in the hub are bad and the vibrations are coming from the right front. and it happens only when i lock the hubs i dont even engage 4x4 and it virbrates what do yall think?

2. Nov 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    why do you have the hubs locked but 4 wheel is not engaged? hubs should only be locked if 4 wheel drive in engaged. Some designs i have seen are crappie.

Besides the above here. hub are bad or cv joint going bad. i would rule out something wrong in your dif but i dont think thats the case.

Have you checked the oil in the front dif to make sure it full?

3. Nov 12, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    dc1987

dc1987 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4 Cyl 4x4
    31" tires
    I've checked the dif fluid and it's fine I normally don't drive with hubs locked in but I forgot to disengage the hubs after wheeling one day and that's when I noticed the vibration.

4. Nov 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    BoostingMS6

BoostingMS6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6

Products Discussed in

To Top