1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lol cop slowed down runaway prius

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mntbiker2008, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    This Guy Is A Jerk OFF!

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    hypeitup

hypeitup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson Hole Wy
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport Indigo
    Ome 3" full suspension lift with added toytec topplate spacer
    Read this article from the news today. It's so c lear that these people are full of it. Why are there so many bitchy soft ass holes in the world. If you need attention or feel like you have to be high profileing in the media, go build a tinfoil balloon then chuck your six year old in the attic and tell everyone he is a child astronaught... Fu*k, this is not even creative.... :eek: runaway cars... really, really! already been done dude. I seem to remember a certain white bronco in the mid 90's, at least he had a good reason to be laying the gas pedal on the floor;)
    http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12120048

3. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
  4. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    How long has toyota been around and non of the cars had any problems until the last few months, now there are a bunch of supposed "runaway" cars? Hmmm makes you wonder

5. Mar 12, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
  6. Mar 12, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
  7. Mar 12, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    ok if he pulled the ebrake up the rear wheels would lock up on a front wheel drive car.....so did he really pull the ebrake???? THAT would be dangerous to do at 94, shut off the car, POSSIBLY lock the steering wheel, i dont know how that works on the cars to be honest...anyone chime in???? now shift into neutral......it would do it at any speed and any rpm on the motor, WOT or not. i remember when i was younger and accidently hitting my grandfathers Cadillac Cimmeron (Cavalier with composites) into neutral as it had a floor shifter. just a tap and it went into neutral on the highway. Sure times have changed but i dont think an autotrans is THAT smart to lock it out. I killed a rental HHR when my GMC was in the shop for head work (at 13k miles POS it was). i was able to throw the car into park at 30mph and you heard the parking fork tapping until it engaged around 15 mph and locked the front wheels. :) so just putting a car into neutral wouldnt be hard to do. and i quoted once from the article, that the driver stated "he was afraid of the car flipping over" if he put it in neutral. hes in debt for over 700k, has a THIRD mortgage and leased a Prius....hes looking to save that lease payment and not after money (so he says)....but a free car from Toyota would save him 350/month......and all the free press time hes getting. he was on a Lottery show once before and got a taste of tv fame....Balloon boy ALL over again.....Toyota should release their findings along with NHSTA and if they match and this guy is full og BS.....put him in jail for what he did. FOR A LONG TIME

8. Mar 13, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    :rolleyes: I have driven a couple of trucks for a couple of hundred of miles with nothing but the e-brake... One was a 1972 Chevy from Indiana to NJ (brakes were shot but I didn't want to tell my dad 'cause I wanted to get to my girlfriend's home before I headed back for school.

9. Mar 13, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    4drLB

4drLB Active Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    I saw this tool get interviewed. he said he didn't want to shift into neutral because he was unfamiliar with the transmission. and didn't want the car to flip. I can't trust the anyone that stupid.

10. Mar 13, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 [OP] First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3

ive accidentally knocked my car in to neutral a few times on the highway. not hard to just shift the tranny out of gear...

11. Mar 13, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    lowzone

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats my point....he had this car for awhile, wasnt familiar with it???? BULLSHIT!!! hes looking for 15minutes of fame. He had a taste of it with the Lottery show and wants more....and hes in debt for 700k, 3rd mortgage and leasing the car....hes looking for atleast a NEW car for FREE out of this...watch!!!!

another thing, when he was interviewed, he kept looking away, wouldnt look anyone in the eyes. HES FUCKING LYING HIS ASS OFF!!! 2005-up PRIUS, you whip up that ebrake your going to lock those rear wheels and lose control, you start to fish tail and its over.....in a panic situation you dont gently lift the ebrake handle....um no....hes full of shit!!!

12. Mar 13, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Saw on fox news lastnight, That the Pruis dude was $700,000 in debt and was late on his car notes...This was a scam to get toyota to pay for his pruis.

13. Mar 13, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    Toyota4Honda2

Toyota4Honda2 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    I believe that all of the "accelerator pedal" and "no braking" problems are all caused by the same thing happening at every Toyota dealership across the country.....

People are realizing that they had $25K -$30K....
    Went to the Toyota Dealer........

And left with a PRIUS !!!!!

I was in the exact same situation, but I left with this!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Life is full of choices......
    Make your own!!!:burnrubber:

14. Mar 13, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    silvertaco82

silvertaco82 No way, get real

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Seat Covers, Weathertech floor mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Pro Comp 6", 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD addicts, 20% tint, Kenwood Dnx 5120, 2 10" Kicker Shallow mount subs
    its called neutral... asshole!

15. Mar 13, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Again though, deushebag aside, how do you fake it? He shouldn't be able to fake it. The Prius has a brake override of the accelerator. You can't just ride the brakes and floor the gas pedal like you could with our trucks. It has to be tampered with to make it do what he did. The cop following him verified that his brake lights were on and that he could smell the brake pads while following him. That's some heavy duty wear when you can smell the pads from a different vehicle pursuing at 90+ mph.

16. Mar 13, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    just wondering.... i have no idea how these pedals are but i know with my car, its cable controlled... ive heard some pedals now a days are electric controlled... idk much facts about what the pedal actually does but if its like im thinking and goes down to the floor.... couldnt you stick your foot under the pedal and pull it up?

again... i have no idea how the pedals in the newer tacos work... just a thought

17. Mar 14, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Now we're getting somewhere:
    http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/03/13/pattern-wear-runaway-prius-brakes-raises-questions/

18. Mar 14, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    lol wow. bet hes crapping his pants right now.

19. Mar 14, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    It's not that the trans isn't "smart" enough. You have to be able to shift a car into neutral at any speed, because it's a safety feature, needed in case the throttle is stuck.

I really doubt that he'll go to jail, and certainly not for long. Hell, we can't even seem to keep violent offenders in jail here; but I do think he'll wind up in court and be facing some charges. Maybe not fraud or extortion, as he hasn't asked for money, but at least speeding, reckless driving, and whatever they charge you with for calling 911 and lying about an emergency.

20. Mar 14, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    lowzone

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:

i could deal with that....fines and costs, just tack it onto his already growing bad financial moves.

BTW, what kind of bike do you ride?

Products Discussed in

To Top