1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long Distance Comfort? Looking To Buy A Pre-Runner!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by Blackbeard, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sep 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    Blackbeard

Blackbeard [OP] Truck Huntin'

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Shipmates!

Any inputs and/or opinions, on how COMFORTABLE a Tacoma Access Cab is/isn't on a Long Distance Road Trip?

I drive a Jeep Wrangler (My Toy and Daily Driver...), which is built for FUN, not comfort, and my wife drives a Suzuki SX4 Crossover Wagon (Her Daily Driver...). Hers is ok to drive for a couple of hours, but can cause leg cramps, back-n-butt aches, and arm discomfort after awhile.

We're looking to add a third vehicle to our household, the aforementioned Tacoma, an Access Cab Pre-Runner model. Our NEED for this vehicle, would be for various hauling at various times. We do a lot of Landscaping, so, between Rocks, Bricks, Trees & Bushes, we're always hauling something or having it Delivered by Lowe's. Another reason we're looking at a Tacoma, is to get into a mid-size truck that is HOPEFULLY Comfortable on a Long..... Long Drive.

We like taking Day-Trips and Over-Nighters, so we're looking for a versatile vehicle that can Haul & Travel the distance. I'm 6'1", 54-yo, and Retired/Retired. In other words, I'm a tall guy that sounds like a Breakfast Cereal when I wake up... SNAP, CRACKLE & POP... and a need to have to be Nowhere at No particular Time! [​IMG]

I've got two upcoming Road-Trips, El Paso (500 miles One-Way...) in Oct, and New Orleans (500 miles One-Way...) in Nov. We're hoping to get a Tacoma by then. Both vehicles we have now are Paid-Off, so we'll only have the Tacoma Payment to worry about.

I did run a SEARCH on here, looking for an answer to my question, but the closest I could get was, "Daily Driver Comfort", regarding commutes of 75 miles or less a day. We're looking for inputs on Long Distance Driving.

Any info and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cheers!

BB

2. Sep 4, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Well old guy, the tacoma is the right vehicle for high mileage purpose. Also if you are getting the truck for high mileage driving you should shell out for a TRD Sport or a TRD offroad, because they have "sport bucket" seats and in my opinion are much more supportive and comfortable then the standard SR5 seats. But some aruge with this saying that there is not much difference and the price isnt worth it (although I have never heard somebody say that the standard seats were more comfortable than the sport seats). What I would do is take a test drive on both and see how you like them.

3. Sep 4, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    Aztacotrd

Aztacotrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Az
    Vehicle:
    O8' V6 Prerunner Accesscab
    I have a Prerunner access cab as well and for me it's really comfortable. I drove it from Mesa, Az to Tulsa, Ok over two days and was perfectly comfortable, however i'm 6' 1" and 16 years old. And if you want to haul stuff make sure the get the rear spring tsb done.

4. Sep 4, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    08PRELB

08PRELB Don't Tread On Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    Toy Tech Ultimate Lift kit,Buildt Right UCA's 285/70/17 BFG AT, Camburg Spindles, BHLM, K&N, Flow Master 50, Spider Trax, URD MAF CAL, Satoshi Grill, any time fog mod, 20% tint, Katzkins Leather Interior, FX-R Projector Retro
    As far as driving comfort the tacoma is great i dont know about the sr5 seats but my sport seats are great. When i first got my truck i drove it from Missouri ware i bought it to California ware im stationed and the only complaint that i had after that drive was the padding on the door arm rest is lacking a little. Other than that i think it would be a great choice for you!

5. Sep 4, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Mine has the sport seats and is awesome for long distance. No problems driving 12 hours straight. Wouldn't want to put more than me and one other person in it though. The rear seat area is great for suitcases, coolers.

6. Sep 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I drive my Tacoma on long road trips (about 300 miles) about once a month and it rides great. I'm really happy with it. I have the TSB springs and that has made it even better when my truck is loaded down with gear.

7. Sep 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    JTO

JTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Sport
    Before I bought DC TRD Sport I took a ride in my buddies sr5 taco and I have to say that I was not very I'm pressed with comfort. So I was a little concerned when I took mine for a test drive. The difference between the trd and the sr5 was e extremely obvious. Much softer ride in the Trd for sure. With that said, it's still a truck and rides like a truck.
    The longest trip ice tacken was from San Diego to las Vegas and I was perfectly comfortable the entire way.

8. Sep 4, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    bagster

bagster Well-Known Member

Member:
    The problem is the seat that' comfortable during a 15 minute test drive could turn into a torture grinder after sitting in it a few hours. I have a 2010 access cab SR5 Prerunner and am about your size and age. I find the seats to be pretty darn comfortable. The Tacomas have plenty of head room so you could always tweak the seat with a cushion or whatever if you get to squirming around during a long drive. These trucks have too many other great features going for it to worry too much about the seats

9. Sep 4, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport DC
    Tailgate Anti-Theft Weathertechs Wet Okoles TW Sticker! Pop N Lock Handle TonnoPro Tri-folding cover
    Drove San Diego to Vegas (300ish) and San Diego to Sacramento(500ish) and both times the ride was smooth and comfortable. Drove the same two trips in my wife's camry and my back was sore from the seats.

10. Sep 4, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I've done a road trip from SC to AZ and back 3 times (2300 miles ea way) and have had no issues with my SR5 seats. I get a little stiff from driving 12 hours a day, but other than that it's comfortable for me.

11. Sep 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Old guy here too... longest I've ever driven in THIS Toy is about 700 miles from Vegas to San Diego and back in a day. No problems for me...
    But I've done Los Angeles to Gresham Oregon in a 4Runner - 1000 miles in 14 hours with a max speed of around 95. By the time I hit my destination I was overdue for a beer but physically fine.

12. Sep 4, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy I feel so Devo

Member:
    WA
    I have driven my mine back and forth to Wyoming (1440 miles round trip) three times in the last two months and I have no complaints.
    I have the standard SR5 seats and have never had the opportunity to try out the TRD seats. But I agree with KTMRider, go and check them both out, it may be worth the extra dough.

oh and welcome :D

13. Sep 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport DC
    Tailgate Anti-Theft Weathertechs Wet Okoles TW Sticker! Pop N Lock Handle TonnoPro Tri-folding cover
    The bucket seats are great in my opinion

14. Sep 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    Blackbeard

Blackbeard [OP] Truck Huntin'

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Thanks for the inputs, Folks! Keep 'em coming!

I've looked at a variety of Trucks on the web, within the last couple of weeks. I've researched:

- Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner (Top of the list at the moment.)
    - Ford F-150 Regular & Extended Cab (Too big for my needs.)
    - Ford Ranger Super Cab (I had an '83, and it didn't seem to change very much inside. Not gonna happen this go-round.)
    - Nissan Frontier (Still on my Short List.)
    - Suzuki Equator (Nissan Frontier Clone under the Hood and Body. Still on my Short List.)
    - Dodge (Not a consideration in the mix.)

I've had 4 Chevy trucks in the past ('92, '94' and 2000 S-10's, and a '79 Custom.), with the '92 qualifying for a Lemon Law Return, which led to its replacement, the '94. I wrote GM a letter on the '92, telling them that their, "Heartbeat of America"..... had gone into "Cardiac Arrest"! After the 2000's Lease was up, I returned it, and never looked back at any Chevy product.

I stopped by to look at a 2011 Pre-Runner today at my local Toyota Dealer, that they showed on their web Inventory. It was in the Blue that I want, with the Access Cab and SR5 Package. It had already been sold. I did see a Blue 2010 Quad Cab, so at least I had an idea what the color looked like in person. Very nice! I haven't researched the Used Warranties yet, but the Certified Pre-Owned Prices and mileage were very tempting. How does Toyota's Used Warranties work? Does the 2nd Owner get the balance of the Basic and Powertrain Warranties? Just curious. Buying Pre-Owned, may be an option I might consider.

Most of their trucks on the lot were Used Certified Pre-Owned. They had New Trucks, 6 Quad Cabs, 1 Base Access Cab, and 2 Base Regular Cabs that were on the front lot. They had Tundra's comin' out of their arse! Everywhere you turned... Tundra... Tundra... Tundra! I guess since they make 'em in San Antonio here, they're gonna be the Top Lot Filler there.

I'll check out a couple of more Dealers in the San Antonio area next week, and see what they have available. I'd like to take a Test Drive, and get an idea how the leg room, hip room, head room, & shoulder room is going to be for me. Any major changes from the 2010 to 2011 Models, other than the Price?

I'll keep y'all posted on what I find.

Thanks again for your responses!

Cheers!

BB

15. Sep 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    spenny

spenny Mmm... Beer

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Acc. Cab
    Stock
    Chev's are probably the best highway trucks.

16. Sep 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    wvtac0

wvtac0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Panhandle - WV
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    I just got back from a 900+ (each way) trip in a regular (non-SR5, non-TRD) Access Cap PreRunner. I have no complaints. (23+ mpg on one fill-up) As others have said, be sure and have the "Harsh Ride" TSB accomplished and the TSB for the transmission software update.

17. Sep 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    zombiekiller

zombiekiller Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dela-where?
    Vehicle:
    '10 doublecab trd
    so far i've taken a 1320mi trip and a 1464 mi trip in my tacoma. i have lower back issues and am 6'1. i'm happy to say that the ta coma was more comfortable than my 80 series land cruiser, subaru wrx and a saturn vue.

the only thing that beat it was a cadillac cts-v.

18. Sep 4, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    86ceeten

86ceeten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road PreRunner
    Limo tint, 18x10 Diamo Karat, Toyo 285-60's, Rear TSB, 5100's all around, front at 2.5", Debadged, Sound System (evolving)
    I drive a 325 mile trip once a week in my TRD Off Road. I'm in the seat for 5 hours and only stop to get gas and pee. No problems, back and legs feel fine when I get out.

19. Sep 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    Every few weeks i drive 450 miles to socal for family reasons, i do this trip with out stopping and trip takes a bit over 7 hours because of canyon driving. It is a confortable truck for those long trips ill tell you that, and there are so many uses for it!

20. Sep 4, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    BUZZ5

BUZZ5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S.Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Many
    I'm near your age & size, 50 & 6'1" & have taken many long trips in my TRD Sport. The only issues that bug me are.... 1. I wish the telescopic steering would extend farther because to get the seat back where it's comfy for my legs I feel like I'm reaching too far for the wheel. 2. I wish the rear slider was power, I like riding with the windows down most of the time & a rear slider would be perfect on the DC. Other than those 2 small issues it is a great truck.

To Top