1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long Range Automotive Extended Range Fuel Tank

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PaulK, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    PaulK

PaulK [OP] Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
  2. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    It will with a few extended brackets.
    I just installed one on my truck two weeks ago. It’s a nice piece. :)

3. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    PaulK

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    Can you provide any detail regarding the extended brackets needed? Did you have to fabricate them yourself? Pics?

Norton likes this.
  4. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I have a DCSB which is what the tank is made for but I’ve heard of a few other folks that have installed on different Tacoma models.
    I’d check the other LRA threads here on TW.

5. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looks like steel? I'm not fond of steel fuel tanks myself....
    But like the other guy says, you should be able to jimmy it in anyway.

But my question.... why? When you drive for 6-7 hours, don't you eventually need to pull over to stretch your legs and take a piss? So get yourself a 40-50 gallon in-bed fuel tank and a 12 volt transfer pump. If you don't need the extra range, you don't need to haul it around with you.

6. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    PaulK

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    Multi-day off road use away from gas stations, and a bed full of camping gear. I'm not interested in a transfer tank, and will just use jerry cans if I can't get a long range tank.

HomerTaco likes this.
  7. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I got it so I would not have to give up bed space. Also having a Flippac negated putting an aux tank in the bed.
    I like the fact I can go +350 miles without stopping. :D

Norton and PaulK[OP] like this.
  8. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Yep. I did that for years. 2 5gal cans on my swingout carrier.

9. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:46 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    You do know that it is actually UNHEALTHY to sit stationary for such long periods of time, don't you? It can actually make you dead.

10. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    :confused:

Talking about a road trip, not solitary confinement.

11. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    PaulK

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    Your opinion is noted. Can we please just focus on the question of fitment, and not why I want it?

12. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    96carboard

Member:
  13. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:51 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Agreed.
    Realistically Paul, the fitment issue I believe is with the front mount of the tank on a long bed. The cross member on yours sits further forward which would necessitate an extended bracket and two additional bolts.
    I believe cruiser brothers have solved for that since.

14. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
  15. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    The problem IMO with a transfer tank is to get one that for gasoline you should technically get one with the correct DOT permit. Most of them are for diesel only because of that. They aren't any cheaper than the LRA linked here and more inconvenient if you have a topper.

I'd love to put one of these in my truck, when I win the lottery. It's not so much for highway but off highway. For example, bouncing around the White Rim is 100 miles of low range, plus the 60ish miles round trip to the Arch View gas station. It's about the limit of range for me normally and if something goes wrong, maybe weather, maybe a problem, you don't have much reserve.

So I carry a jerry can usually and they are PITA, especially if you don't have a rear bumper. More $$$$. Plus adding 5 or 10 gallons to the stock location is easier from a suspension and center of gravity stand point than hanging all that weight on a lever way out back.

16. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:53 AM
    PaulK

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    I sent them an email with questions, so hopefully they have figured it out. Thanks for the info.

17. Nov 19, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Glad to assist. It’s a pricey mod but totally worth it for me.
    Don’t hesitate to reach out if you’ve got any questions.
    One of the NJ guys recently successfully installed one on his DCLB which required the mount mod.

Norton likes this.
  18. Nov 19, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    PaulK

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    I just spoke to Ward from Cruiser Brothers. Talk about great service...he called me less than 5 minutes after I emailed him, and was happy to discuss the issue. Anyway, he confirmed that the tanks for all versions of the Tacoma are the same, but the attachment points are different. He said that front brackets would need to be fabricated to put the Long Range Automotive tank in an access cab. This has been done before, and they are planning to ask Long Range Automotive to offer a kit, but with no Tacomas in Australia the process might take awhile. One other issue is that the filler and vent hose connection points will be slightly different between the AC and 4-door. He strongly recommends taking off the bed for installation to ensure that no hoses get kinked. I'm giving this some serious thought now.

Norton and DaveInDenver like this.
  19. Nov 19, 2018 at 11:17 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I removed the bed when I did my install:

20. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    EdinCincinnati

EdinCincinnati Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR
    Nice License Plate!!

Products Discussed in