1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long range rifles

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by noah farley, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Mar 23, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    Tnc

Tnc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NE Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD OR
    I’ve had the non-AB model for over a year now and they’ve been great for hunting and prs style matches. I sold my spotting scope and use these mounted to my tripod for matches. No problem ranges targets out to 1,500 from a tripod. Glass is good. I personally think the sig has better glass but these are certainly good enough

Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 23, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Everything Ive heard so far agrees with your statements. Id prefer the Sig, but saving a good chunk of change sways my opinion to vortex.

Id mainly use it for prs type matches and for UKD field shooting so it sounds like a winner.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Tnc[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 23, 2021 at 11:00 AM
    dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tacoma TRD Pro.
    -Shmellfab rocksliders.... -BD ditch lights -Cali raised ditch light brackets -Sway bar discos -Auxbeam aux 6 gang -Uptop Bravo -Rci trans skid -Rci cat guards -Trd pro eibach lift springs -Hypertech speedo calibrator Etc.
    The wind is not guess work. It’s what separates amateurs from the pros. But that’s a separate convo.

I also doubt your index cards are as diverse as AB software. It’s why dudes in 5th group and every SOF sniper use a kestrel with AB. Which you can link to a fury AB.

Chew and Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Mar 23, 2021 at 11:55 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Agreed on wind, I worded it poorly. What I meant was the AB fury's have a manual input function on wind, so that's roughly compatible vs manually using a wind dope sheet just much faster. That's granted you are learned enough to know what the wind call actually is. I'm not at that point yet. Wind calling very much cut me off at the knees this weekend esp using 5.56 out to 1166. But the 5% of the time I got it right first round, hot damn does it feel good! The stage I had the wind swap directions every 2nd shot, I was ready to fly home and save the ammo.

Elevation drop is def much more precise with a ballistic LRF bino vs a range card with chunkier intervals as well, but for my personal uses, the extra $300 or so isn't worth it to me. Besides, I have a lot of trigger, position building, and wind reading time ahead of me to ever get close enough to the hitters I was watching this weekend to blame my choice of binos as the failure point. On the clock distance and dial matches like at Mammoth etc would sway my opinion to the AB model, but the infrequent matches I tend to gravitate towards are more gun-golf so theres time for whipping out my phone and punching in the numbers on strelok or the AB app.

5. Mar 23, 2021 at 4:35 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    Cheap Brownells special Ballistic Advantage 20” “dmr” profile barrel and factory Hornady 105gn match Ammo.

2506fps off my Magnetospeed.

Accurate enough for countless hits on 8” disc at 600yrds.

Sooo much easier do the PRS stuff than my heavy ass bolt rifle. Might just use the AR for the <800yrd ranges.

On edit: 6mm ARC

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  6. Mar 23, 2021 at 6:48 PM
    dfanonymous

Member:
    Vehicle:
    -Shmellfab rocksliders.... -BD ditch lights -Cali raised ditch light brackets -Sway bar discos -Auxbeam aux 6 gang -Uptop Bravo -Rci trans skid -Rci cat guards -Trd pro eibach lift springs -Hypertech speedo calibrator Etc.
    I’m not a salesman. If you’re not a serious shooter in the long range game, I wouldn’t want to spend the $300 either. I also wouldn’t buy $1200 binos...

Manual entry of wind can be a better way anyways. Even kestrel there’s a point where you need to manually input your best averages of ffp, mid, and target wind and maybe give consideration to wind shear at max ord where the wind gradients changes.

What your talking about with the rangefinder is closing your danger space. What I’m talking about is the use of a custom drag model, consolidation of dope, transonic accuracy and the ability to calculate things you wouldn’t normally calculate manually. Ie; While slope dope is easy to calculate by hand, AB will also calculate the change in your DA shooting into a valley or up on a far hillside in example. Something that people don’t do with any of the riflemans rules/cosins. Which I can give an example of if it helps.

Position and fundamentals are first and foremost the most important thing in all disciplines of shooting and wind is a art and takes some experience as well as knowledge. Like how katabtic wind flows in terrain. The way I see it, getting AB at $300 cost less than buying a kestrel elite. Whatever you do, makes sure you’re building your dope off good data.

7. Mar 23, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    So this may be a silly question, but is the AB app on google play for $30 not the same as the one engrained in higher end kestrels, etc? Mainly been using strelok to date, but good data being the basis of every thing, Im open to change.

Seems like that could be a convenient stop gap between the higher end native featured AB kit and what Im slowly building up in the gear closet based on what I learn and observe at matches.

Screenshot_20210323-204146_Google Play Store.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  8. Mar 23, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    dfanonymous

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It’s the same. You get free access to CDMs with the kestrel, and obviously the kestrels updates atmospherics, making it more accurate in that sense. If you just want to plug the range into your phone, make sure your atmospherics are on point, use absolute pressure. Don’t collect weather from the phone app. Use some type of anemometer.
    Use a CDM for your .223. Shoot to transonic, adjust the DSF if needed. True MV for anything supersonic. You should be gucci.

9. Mar 23, 2021 at 8:15 PM
    dfanonymous

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If you want a to make a quick wind chart, post up on here and we’ll get you all set up, and other people can see the process too if they want to use it.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  10. Mar 23, 2021 at 8:33 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    My kestrel 2700 does wind, temp and pressure so should be good there for data gathering. Once I can get some good data with my magnetospeed and the 77gr imi that my dmr loves, ill post up the data and get learned.

A lot of this Im finally scratching past the surface on and dont have a lot of mentors around locally that I know so this has been some good banter.

dfanonymous[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 25, 2021 at 9:15 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Made a quick trip down to GA again to shoot little bullets big distances at the Arena range. Didn't make the top 5 in my category like last year, mainly due to some heavily variable wind that just savages 5.56 rounds at 600+ yards. Missed a 1000 yard target by 40 feet because the wind swapped 180* as my start buzzer went off so I basically doubled down on a wrong holdover.

Regardless, lots was learned, a good time was had, and new friends made.

[​IMG]

Stage 14: "The Sadist". 5 small targets very close together at 600+ yards. If you hit the wrong one due to wind drift, you take max time plus penalties. Got through 3 of 5 targets before time ran out.

https://youtu.be/dxJFbuv6dho

Stage 9: Rooftop. engage a 375 and 628 yard target from left, spine, and right of roof. 2 hits each. 90 seconds. Variable wind 5 to 15. Blurred the shooter/spotter due to some opsec reasons.

[​IMG]

In case anyone has a bad guy on the wrong side of a staircase at 450+ yards, we can handle that too :rofl:

[​IMG]

Stage Briefs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

smugly, P2W and Sig45 like this.
  12. Mar 26, 2021 at 9:53 AM
    dfanonymous

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Learn to time your shots in the wind. Especially if it’s the usual 10 shots 2 minute most matches follow. I usually pick the high gust whenever possible, but because matches are timed it might make sense to shoot the low gust. Have dope available for both, so this is where holding wind makes more sense than dialing, in general.

13. Apr 11, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    corprin

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    Aaaaa very merry unbirthday to me!

7596BFC8-E81B-4713-988D-A514094F0DBC.jpg

.264” 136gn Scenar-L

CrippledHo, azshooter40, P2W and 2 others like this.
  14. Apr 28, 2021 at 4:32 PM
    corprin

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    Anyone need a pound of Accurate LT-30? Was able to snag the last one at Scheels today.

15. Apr 30, 2021 at 11:58 AM
    corprin

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    Been grabbing small rifle primers (CCI 400) for a few days now, silly 200 per person per day limits.

Swapped them for this pretty pile of amazing.

9A133529-FA20-4887-BFF7-0520A3FED3B2.jpg

Netted me a brick of 210M’s for $45.

16. May 1, 2021 at 5:32 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Primers are starting to come around a bit. Couple stores near me are getting them in with a 1 box limit per day.
    Y'all see the 33xc caliber yet? I just came across it about a week or so ago.

17. May 1, 2021 at 6:49 AM
    corprin

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    I think the hoarders are mostly all stocked up, and/or credit cards are maxed out. There was a pound of Universal on the shelf for like two days at a big-box.

33xc, I’m not really into the ELR game, mostly because of cost and non place to shoot. I already spend too much on reloading supplies to keep my mind habit going. My wife would skin me for burning 140gn of powder per bang.

At one point I was researching a .338 Edge build, but that idea died on the vine for me.

18. May 13, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Factory 147gr match ammo outta my ar10. Pretty hot but shoots great.
    Same bullets outta my friends rpr don't show these signs at all..
    Question- what can I change on the ar10 to avoid making these so hot? Upper is a aero precision ultra match and bcg is a TiN deadbolt
    20210513_134353.jpg

smugly likes this.
  19. May 13, 2021 at 1:08 PM
    dfanonymous

Member:
    Vehicle:
    There’s nothing you can do to make factory ammo not hot. As with most trends most people neglect to talk about the bad, in the 6.5 creedmoor’s case, it can be much higher in pressure then the .308. Even .308 can be be hot, you never really know until you test.

You can buy a HP bolt, I believe aero makes one, and i use a JP. An HP bolt with a smaller diameter firing pin hole will help with the primer cratering. Do you get a string of MV’s with that batch you pictured?

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    corprin and Gunshot-6A like this.
  20. May 13, 2021 at 1:44 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    I could try a HP bcg. I was thinking of adjusting the gas block to be more open might help too?
    Don't know what "MV's" stands for are the moment.
    This ammo for a few boxes now is always hot outta the AR but not hot at all in the bolt action. Holds terrific groups so don't want to give up on it if I don't have to

Products Discussed in

To Top