1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long Travel BS Thread

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by amaes, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 6, 2015 at 8:18 AM
    tubbsisland

tubbsisland I took snowtanks beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Arizona
    10K?

doyouevenprerun and ckeene9 like this.
  2. Aug 6, 2015 at 8:21 AM
    Alfuh

Alfuh It's pronounced alpha

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner
    I have a few mods
    You know...them dolla dolla bills, $10,000 individual $1 bills all lumped together

3. Aug 6, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    Sefferston

Sefferston I like Tacos.

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    I know I'd have fun with LT, and it's going to be a "while" yet before I really start on getting things done. Just hoarding what parts I can get until then.

4. Aug 6, 2015 at 8:28 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    I don't see it. Did you literally put 10k on the seat one day?

tubbsisland and jberry813 like this.
  5. Aug 6, 2015 at 8:32 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    It's a trap.. I don't even have LT ... just an excel spreadsheet with everything I need .. with prices .. it adds up.

nfs257 likes this.
  6. Aug 6, 2015 at 8:32 AM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    You know, like the cost of a partial rear set-up.

7. Aug 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM
    Sefferston

Sefferston I like Tacos.

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    You can't take money with you to the grave, and might as well have fun. I'm estimating between 15-20k just in getting it ready. Not figuring the parts I am going to break the first time out.

8. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM
    dakotasyota

dakotasyota Just a Fringe of the Ging in your Minge

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab, Manual, V6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    Stupid question. Is there any reason my truck can't be alligned at a shop after this?

Also what caster degree should I request. I don't want to max it out. Only on 33s. 3 degrees?

9. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:25 AM
    thekernel114

thekernel114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4x4
    allpro long travel, shackle flip with ome dakars, cruisin offroad bumpers and sliders, 4.88 gears with arb's front and rear, budbuilt skids.
    Any shop "should" be able to align it. Depends how smart the guy doing it is.

You want as much caster as you can get really, so shoot for 4 degrees

10. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    Mmkay. Should I stay away from the big guys like Les Schwab for example? Really 4 degrees?? That's not gonna make me feel a little "floaty" on the highway?

11. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Opposite. The more caster you have, the more turning force required and faster return to center.
    Think shopping cart vs motorcycle

12. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:33 AM
    thekernel114

thekernel114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4x4
    allpro long travel, shackle flip with ome dakars, cruisin offroad bumpers and sliders, 4.88 gears with arb's front and rear, budbuilt skids.
    No idea I'm up in Canada haha.

The floaty feeling is not enough caster.

13. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:33 AM
    doyouevenprerun

doyouevenprerun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake from state farm
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 TuRD
    just got a simple lift on her
    THIS^

That^^

Buy a rzr or get a SR1 Rhino instead. You will be able to go faster, go more places, break less things, go harder, and be 15X cheaper.

I had over 30k into my old truck. And all it was, was a fucking money pit that every time i took it out and went balls to the wall, I would have to spend a grand fixing it, just to do it all over again.

Bought a SR1 rhino, and im not looking back. haha

Having a badass truck that could mash the biggest woops, and do anything basically is awesome... Don't get me wrong, and the bitches flock.... But they (the truck) just suck all the money out of your bank/wallet.

There are just way too many moving parts on a truck, and they are way too heavy to not break after hard abuse....

Just my opinion..

14. Aug 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Oh I see. Thanks guys!

thekernel114[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:25 AM
    tubbsisland

tubbsisland I took snowtanks beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Arizona
    You are spot on with the buy a RZR concept. I wish I had known this before I started and its what I encourage people to do all the time.

My truck has seen pretty mush everythink imaginable from Moab slick rock to BITD pre-runs and everything in between. In 8 years of ownership and hard abuse it has only seen a tow truck once. Breaking is usually the result of poor prep, and owning a LT truck requires a lot of it which in turn requires a lot of time and money but spending the money before hand is usually cheaper than having to fix it after the fact. Once you hit a certain point in a build daily driving basically goes out the window if you want to keep it reliable.

If you stay up on maintenance and prep it like you should you eliminate a lot of the headache. I only broke because I was lazy and chose to drive on a steering rack that was well past its expected life span, and I can't be upset about that in the slightest and thankfully its an easy fix.

End of the day trucks are more fun, more comfortable, more unique and safer when built right but 10x more expensive at the end of the day, I don't even like to think about how much I have invested into mine.

16. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM
    dirt addiction

dirt addiction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flagstaff
    Solo motorsports XLT LT, foxshox
    Rzr's are like fat chicks, their fun until your buddy's see you riding one. Plus I like having ac, xm radio, and I stay a lot cleaner than my buds with rzr's

Sefferston likes this.
  17. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM
    doyouevenprerun

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake from state farm
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 TuRD
    LOL.

different strokes for different folks i guess, when your broke all the time in your truck in the middle of the dunes and your sitting there working your ass off just to get out of the dunes, and all your buddies are ripping around you in rzrs, doing 65 through 3 foot deep woops, you might think differently....

but like said.... AC sure is nice, windows and doors are great, but thats about it.
    well and i guess if people see a truck mashing woops at 70 their jaw/panties drop, if they see a rzr doing it they just go "meh" HAHA!

I like owning the truck to take out on night runs and stuff, especially when its cold, but the SR1 rhino tops it in every way, besides windows, ac, and doors. LOL

18. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:40 AM
    dirt addiction

dirt addiction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flagstaff
    Solo motorsports XLT LT, foxshox
    You gotta account for everything with a rzr for a fair comparison price wise, first 25k for 1000 4 seater, do you have a truck? How about a trailer? 4 seater rzr's are 16' long so you'll need a car hauler. Then if your like me you would still want to mod the shit outa one which is not cheap. And we have broken down in rzr's plenty of times too, broken axles bent trailing arms broke belt. When I wanna go 15 miles down the road I get in my truck and go and my buddy's ride with me cause they don't wanna load up their trailers to go 15 minutes of hwy

thekernel114 likes this.
  19. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    dcvt16

dcvt16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ehren
    SCV, CA
    Vehicle:
    SOLD =( MGM Supercharged long travel 5lug
    Total Chaos 5 lug long travel kit, Fox coilovers. Mcneil fiberglass. Defined engineering sua, 14 in kings, Defined shock hoops rear. Weathertech digital liners and vent visors. Paint match grille and added fogs. 4.56 gears, detriot truetrac LSD (gear type), LCE header, URD 2TR supercharger.
    got the truck back from paint a couple weeks ago. still need to build front and rear bumpers.
    20150710_164357.jpg 20150710_164407.jpg 20150710_164417.jpg 20150710_164456.jpg 20150719_162243.jpg

20. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:47 AM
    doyouevenprerun

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake from state farm
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 TuRD
    well..... i bought a SR1 Rhino completely done for 12k...... i would never spend the 25k on a new rxr 1000, that is insane IMO... but people do it all the time..

and yes i already had a tow rig, and a flat bed trailer, because i needed one for my prerunner to take it anywhere. like tubbisisland said above, there comes a certain point where keeping your prerunner a DD just is not feasable. i didnt want to pay a tow truck every time i broke down....

yes rzrs break too, but bend some A-arms, break some cv axles, and be in a couple hundred bucks...

break 1 rear diff in your truck and your out a grand.

once you get your truck to a certain point, you will need a tow rig and trailer for that too ( most likely)

Products Discussed in

To Top