1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long Travel BS Thread

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by amaes, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Nov 22, 2016 at 2:08 PM
    a.smo

a.smo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    PHX, Az
    Vehicle:
    '99 Trd Xtra Cab 4x4 5sp
    Why not rotate the resi so the 90* fitting is pointing down? Also, check to make sure you wont rub the hose while turned or anything.

2. Nov 22, 2016 at 2:20 PM
    chulsey4

chulsey4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pikeville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 LT 4x4 DCLB
    Camburg LT - Fox w/ DSC Adjusters DTF Front Bumper Fiberwerx color matched Barcelona Red Method Double Standards - General Grabber AT2 (285/75R/16)
    I ended up rotating it down just a little while the fitting was loose to let it find its own happy spot and you were pretty spot on. Thanks! IMG_0761.jpg

a.smo[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Nov 22, 2016 at 2:34 PM
    Basikbiker

Basikbiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    My doors are the only stock things left besides the headlights
    Picked up this lil guy on my way home....

IMG_0561.jpg

LTDSC, jberry813, MadTaco461 and 2 others like this.
  4. Nov 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM
    chulsey4

chulsey4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pikeville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 LT 4x4 DCLB
    Camburg LT - Fox w/ DSC Adjusters DTF Front Bumper Fiberwerx color matched Barcelona Red Method Double Standards - General Grabber AT2 (285/75R/16)
    My resi hose BARELY touches my tire when I'm full lock in both directions. Anything to worry about? Should I mess with it?

5. Nov 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM
    Basikbiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    Hey man rubbin is racin'!! But in all honesty if u can get it to not rub it's better, or run it and find out

6. Nov 22, 2016 at 3:44 PM
    tubbsisland

tubbsisland I took snowtanks beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Arizona
    ls1 prerunner likes this.
  7. Nov 22, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    Y2kbaja

Y2kbaja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    05 Total Chaos Tacoma
    Total Chaos
    Is the 50T spring pack from All Pro? I was told they are Engage. Can they still be ordered from All Pro? PN on the spring is 4550T-AP. I assume there is a 50T All Pro in there. I don't see them on their website anywhere.

8. Nov 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM
    Y2kbaja

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    05 Total Chaos Tacoma
    Total Chaos
    Up a creek I guess. I called Deaver the other day and they said the F67 is NOT the right spring for a 05 4 door Tacoma--too soft. He referred me to Tim at DMZ who said he starts with a basic 50T custom made by Deaver (Deaver would not sell me the spring) and only sells them in his kit. And would not sell without looking at the truck. My issue is my F67's broke and bought a set of 50T from TPF that had a broken main. I had a local shop make me two new main leafs and was very happy with the way they handled but were a tick too long and my shackle was hitting the frame on bump. I had them shortened 2" and now they are too short and the shackle swings too far forward. I went back the the spring guy in town and he wants to take arch out of the spring to make them "longer" and lower the ride height 2" which is what I need. I'm into this endeavor over $800 now (not including the initial used spring purchase) and spending another $150 for the re-arch. I'm willing to cut my losses if I can find a suitable new replacement like a 50T or equivalent. Trying to find something new.

9. Nov 22, 2016 at 5:48 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    I think there's a deaver spring that's equivalent to the 50t

10. Nov 22, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    Basikbiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    E30/h70 pack

11. Nov 22, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    Y2kbaja

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    05 Total Chaos Tacoma
    Total Chaos
    off the shelf? deaver didn't seem to interested in selling them to me. hmmm. Any other source that may have them "on the shelf"?

12. Nov 22, 2016 at 6:53 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    So, say the DMZ pack just doesn't have the weight capacity/lift I want...can I just pop in any old leaf pack in there? Or do I have to start messing with shackles and such for every change? Obviously shocks will need to be revalved and stuff...I'm having Deaver make me an AAL for the DMZ pack but they said I'll only gain about an inch of lift and a little more weight capacity. with the RTT on the back I'm definitely looking 'Bro' and I have like no preload on my coilovers.

13. Nov 22, 2016 at 7:00 PM
    Basikbiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    Shorter shackles will help a lil

14. Nov 22, 2016 at 7:01 PM
    glorifiedwelder

glorifiedwelder IG= @Liquid_Torch

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    Santa Clarita, ca
    Vehicle:
    double cab trd sport
    Downside to going heavier is performance will suffer if you pull the try off. But i think dmz offers a heavier weight spring pack which would just swap in

15. Nov 22, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    Happysmiley

Happysmiley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabien
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    89 pickup 87 pickup 2016 4runner
    Taking arch out of the springs is not going to solve the shackle geometry problem and you will lose travel as they won't drop out as much as when they had a higher arch.

You need to take the springs apart to just the main spring and cycle your suspension and change your shackle setup, or get new main leafs and possibly any other leafs that might have been shortened to even out the staggering of the leafs in the pack.

2" was way too much, prob needed to shorten the springs 1/2"

All Pro does not manufacture their own springs. I believe they were either built by betts spring or atlas springs. They stopped selling those springs years ago.

50t springs were a geometric rip off of Deaver long travel Toyota "62" springs so Deaver has a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to those springs.

Initially you could have just had a tad longer shackles made to solve your problem of hitting the frame but it's too late for that.

No real easy cheap way out now, sorry.

16. Nov 22, 2016 at 7:33 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    What will that also effect though?

Yeah, I'm hoping an AAL will give me a hair more lift to level me out. If not I'll give Tim a call and discuss.

17. Nov 22, 2016 at 8:26 PM
    Happysmiley

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabien
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    E30 or what used to be called H70's are now a custom spring and Deaver does not stock them.

They can make you a custom leaf pack but that's not going to help you being in Sacramento since hey are in Santa Ana

$900 plus for custom springs.

Easiest solution to me would be getting new shorter shackles made that will cycle the shorter springs as good as they can be set up without moving the shackle pivot point and run it till you can save up for new springs.

18. Nov 22, 2016 at 8:38 PM
    Happysmiley

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabien
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    On a Dmz kit you would get 1/2" or less increase in height for every 1" you shorten the shackle.

It would change how the leafs cycle and prob significantly limit droop travel and possibly bind the spring at bump

Doing an AAL is all you can really do without getting a new heavier leaf pack made with the same geometry as the original.

You can't have big changes in payload with long travel leaf springs without dramatic changes to ride height unless you want to start adding some sort of airbags or other secondary support for when you're vehicle is fully loaded.

19. Nov 22, 2016 at 8:39 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that's what I figured, we'll see how the AAL does

20. Nov 23, 2016 at 7:44 AM
    Y2kbaja

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    05 Total Chaos Tacoma
    Total Chaos
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have the spring shop make me another main 1/2" shorter this time. If the shackle comes near the frame I'm going to do what I should have done the first time and that's increase the pressure in my bump stop and/or lengthen it from 2 to 3 or 4" to slow the contact at the frame. I really liked how it rode with the springs and it sucks right now with the shorter springs. Shortening or moving the shackle pivot isn't an option on my truck due to the way it's all built into the bed cage

Products Discussed in

To Top